Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I have nothing, but I'm pretty sure it's good... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=221705)

flyingmoose 09-26-2006 07:08 PM

I have nothing, but I\'m pretty sure it\'s good...

I called the flop planning to raise the turn if he bet. My understanding of this player was that he would check behind the turn with a marginal hand and continue betting with a bluff or a really strong hand. So after the turn card fell and he bet again I put him on a very narrow range of Ax/bluff. I'm pretty confident in that read, but reading's only part of the game and I really wasn't sure quite what to do with it. I raised figuring my K-high was too vulnerable and the pot was getting big. I don't usually like to turn the best hand into 23o (which is pretty much what this raise does) but I couldn't think of a better line. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Button (t4075)
Hero (t2020)
BB (t2695)
UTG (t3070)
UTG+1 (t2625)
MP1 (t2025)
MP2 (t6340)
CO (t2940)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Thttp://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...miles/club.gif, Khttp://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...es/diamond.gif.
[color=#666666]6 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) 6http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...miles/club.gif, 8http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...iles/spade.gif, Ahttp://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...miles/club.gif [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]BB bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

Turn: (t400) Ahttp://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...iles/heart.gif [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]BB bets t300</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to t750</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t1450

JeanieJ 09-26-2006 08:01 PM

Re: I have nothing, but I\'m pretty sure it\'s good...

I don't really think this is a profitable move. Your read makes his range very narrow and you could just be spewing off chips. I think if anything but the ace falls your plan to raise the turn may be a good one. Now that the ace is there he's probably less likely to believe that you would slow play a single pair of aces.

jason75 09-26-2006 08:19 PM

With your stack (M of 13), is there a reason you're not raising KT in the SB when it's folded around?

I like the turn raise, because villian could have a lower pair you're pushing off the pot, and I'd hate to check the hand down with him just to see something like T6o beat me when I knew I could push him out.

Alternatively, you could call and lead the river . . .

SilverLining1 09-26-2006 11:42 PM

1. raise preflop.
2. I think that your line is fine here. You had a read, you stuck with it. the pot is nice and juicy. also, the A falling is a perfect card for you. I'd raise just a little more only in that a really good player may catch on to your re-steal and push all in. raise the pot. Still, the raise to 750 looks like you have a strong hand and that you waited to trap. nh.

SilverLining1 09-26-2006 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With your stack (M of 13), is there a reason you're not raising KT in the SB when it's folded around?

I like the turn raise, because villian could have a lower pair you're pushing off the pot, and I'd hate to check the hand down with him just to see something like T6o beat me when I knew I could push him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but for how much, Jason? And what if our opponent catches a decent card (J, Q, 9) and decides to call. Leading the river puts a lot of pressure on you to make another bet on a much bigger pot. I like the c/r here very much.

jason75 09-27-2006 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but for how much, Jason? And what if our opponent catches a decent card (J, Q, 9) and decides to call. Leading the river puts a lot of pressure on you to make another bet on a much bigger pot. I like the c/r here very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one problem with the C/R on the turn is if I'm villian, I'm asking myself if he limped with an A, and turned trips would he really check/raise here or just check/call/lead the river? I'd be inclined to believe this was a bluff and push here.

As for check/call/lead the river, I'd lead 1/2 pot (500) on the river if I whiffed(no T or K). The bet isn't much bigger than the turn raise, and looks like a value bet. I'm not going to sweat a Q,J,9 . . .It's a bluff/blocking bet so that villian can't really bluff at this pot and push us off. Although we could check/call if we're very confident (though would villain 3 barrell this board with a bluff?). I'd check/call if I hit a K or T.

kleath 09-27-2006 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The one problem with the C/R on the turn is if I'm villian, I'm asking myself if he limped with an A, and turned trips would he really check/raise here or just check/call/lead the river? I'd be inclined to believe this was a bluff and push here.

As for check/call/lead the river, I'd lead 1/2 pot (500) on the river if I whiffed(no T or K). The bet isn't much bigger than the turn raise, and looks like a value bet. I'm not going to sweat a Q,J,9 . . .It's a bluff/blocking bet so that villian can't really bluff at this pot and push us off. Although we could check/call if we're very confident (though would villain 3 barrell this board with a bluff?). I'd check/call if I hit a K or T.

[/ QUOTE ]

You implying that when BB is betting you're going to lead when the 2nd ace comes up? Most people c/r here cause if you bet he's going to fold unless he's got an ace or a boat in which case he'll raise, whereas checking lets him bet again which he did on the flop and will likely do on the turn.

What I dont like about this hand is once you choose to play like this you're committing half your stack with K high, also in terms of strong hands he very well could have had 86 and you lucked out with that 2nd ace, in fact from your read I think 86 is a very likely hand.

jason75 09-27-2006 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You implying that when BB is betting you're going to lead when the 2nd ace comes up? Most people c/r here cause if you bet he's going to fold unless he's got an ace or a boat in which case he'll raise, whereas checking lets him bet again which he did on the flop and will likely do on the turn.

What I dont like about this hand is once you choose to play like this you're committing half your stack with K high, also in terms of strong hands he very well could have had 86 and you lucked out with that 2nd ace, in fact from your read I think 86 is a very likely hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Check/call the turn, lead the river. This is as an alternative line to CRing the turn.

kleath 09-27-2006 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Check/call the turn, lead the river. This is as an alternative line to CRing the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has something like 86 though he's shutting down wether you C/C or C/R unless he rivers a boat, whereas since a c/r could still be a bluff it would probably be the optimal line with an ace anyways, this all to say that yes a c/r with an ace is certainly a reasonable line.

nath 09-27-2006 06:06 PM

i like it.
and no, people do not 3-bet bluff here, and no, he doesn't have 86, either