Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   QQ facing bad flop 2/5 NL Live (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=518185)

nycplayer 10-08-2007 10:53 AM

QQ facing bad flop 2/5 NL Live

Effective stacks $500
Hero has QQ in the BB.
There's a straddle for 15 and MP makes it $50, LP calls $50 and Hero raises to $150. MP calls $100 and LP calls $100.
Flop is AJ8r
Hero??

KurtSF 10-08-2007 01:01 PM

Re: QQ facing bad flop 2/5 NL Live

[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises to $150

[/ QUOTE ]

I found your problem.

The reason this is bad is because you are committing a substantial portion of your stack to a pot that is going to be huge. You don't leave yourself options.

If you want to see the flop, just call the $50. The pot will probably be about $200 and if you like the flop you can crai, of just c/f if the board sucks.

The higher variance play, but probably more +EV, is to push your edge preflop. Hand values are exaggerated in straddled pots; you're holding a monster. Just shove. If someone's got AA or KK, meh too bad. But you'll get a lot of calls when 88 convinces himself you're making a move with Ax and when Ax convinces himself you're making a move with 88, so there is a lot of upside to counter the (few) times you're dominated.

As played? I can't see a real advantage to either c/fing or open shoving. If you shove you're toast if you're called, but putting $350 into the $465 pot you only have to get folds about 40% of the time for this to work. c/fing is obviously 0EV and I'd say shoving is within spitting distance of 0EV also. So flip a coin, or better yet, make you decision based on what you want your image to be for the next hour or two.

nycplayer 10-08-2007 01:23 PM

Probably should have pushed, I guess. I figured the raise would give me a sense of where I stood, I didn't expect to be flat called by both.
Against one player I'd definitely open shove, but with the other caller I checked and folded to a 150 bet.

SammyG-SD 10-08-2007 01:30 PM

I think this is a perfect resteal opportunity. (given a nice squeeze play on the initial raiser) If you are going to raise, I say push, or make it big enough that your post flop commits you on the next bet. OOP, I am happy to take down this pot with no flop.

SMACK BOOTY 10-08-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against one player I'd definitely open shove, but with the other caller I checked and folded to a 150 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is exactly how I would have played it, somebody has an Ace, although as another poster mentioned, people sometimes get comical in straddle and kill pots hands (in limit).

Woolygimp 10-08-2007 02:43 PM

lol at the advice in this thread.

Open pushing pf is bad, however hero's raise was also bad. There is significant dead money in the pot, as well as a $50 bet and an overcall. Make it $225-$250. Push any flop.

C/F as played, you beat nothing.