Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Basketball rules question... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291846)

maniacut 12-26-2006 08:49 PM

Basketball rules question...

Please tell me if this is a violation of any rule.. I receive a pass and don't dribble, pivot and jump as if to hoist a shot but see that i'm gonna get blocked so i drop the shot before i land and start dribbling... clear my mind please

ThaSaltCracka 12-26-2006 08:51 PM

Re: Basketball rules question...

Traveling I believe.

Artdogg 12-26-2006 08:54 PM

traveling

Green Kool Aid 12-26-2006 08:54 PM

misread OP.

OnlinePro 12-26-2006 09:03 PM

ya its traveling, the good old up and down.

Spellmen 12-26-2006 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me if this is a violation of any rule.. I receive a pass and don't dribble, pivot and jump as if to hoist a shot but see that i'm gonna get blocked so i drop the shot before i land and start dribbling... clear my mind please

[/ QUOTE ]

You can jump and then start dribbling in mid air, but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

Assani Fisher 12-26-2006 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that this USED TO be the rule. Kids on the play ground would call it "self pass." But about 7-10 years ago they changed the rule in the NBA that if the ref determined that your intent was to shoot at the basket(but you just missed completely) that it was legal.

gettym 12-26-2006 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but if you tos up a half shot it's travelling because you can't catch your own airball

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that this USED TO be the rule. Kids on the play ground would call it "self pass." But about 7-10 years ago they changed the rule in the NBA that if the ref determined that your intent was to shoot at the basket(but you just missed completely) that it was legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

SuperUberBob 12-26-2006 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
traveling

[/ QUOTE ]

Uncle Wimp 12-26-2006 11:02 PM

One of my rulebooks says:
"After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble."