Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Claim in MH (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387259)

RacersEdge 04-24-2007 03:28 PM

Claim in MH

I read a blurb in MH that said if you sandwich your work out right in between 2 protein shakes you would increase muscle mass produced by 100% compared to having the shakes 4 or 5 hours before/after your workout. That seems unbelievable. Comments?

Thremp 04-24-2007 03:29 PM

Re: Claim in MH

Don't read MH.

thirddan 04-24-2007 03:30 PM

a ton has been written on pre/post workout nutrition and a lot of people think that this is these are the most important meals of the day...

jah7_fsu1 04-24-2007 04:25 PM

While I'm not going to focus on the 100% claim or whatever because it isn't important, optimal nutrition pre, during, and after workout will yield almost steroid-like effects to someone who hasn't been doing it.

Josh11 04-24-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I'm not going to focus on the 100% claim or whatever because it isn't important, optimal nutrition pre, during, and after workout will yield almost steroid-like effects to someone who hasn't been doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you have any suggestions as to what optimal nutrition pre, during, and after? I don't think I've been getting it even close to right.

jah7_fsu1 04-24-2007 05:04 PM

Carbohydrates are needed in conjunction with protein/amino acids. This will give you the most anabolic effect.

My favorite drink is Vendetta. Clicking this link takes you to the product and gives you a scientific background on pre/post workout nutrition. If your into being your own scientist like I am, I prefer Waxy Maize Starch (Vitargo), Creatine, BCAA's, and Whey Hydro. If you have the money, you can't really go wrong just buying Vendetta (or similar product), and downing some before, during, and after training.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=670

Thremp 04-24-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you have any suggestions as to what optimal nutrition pre, during, and after? I don't think I've been getting it even close to right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carbs: Protein in a 2:1 ratio with some BCAA. You want a 50/50 split for malto/dex for carbs and something fast acting like as much hydrolyzed whey as you can take with isolate for the rest.

maniacut 04-24-2007 06:23 PM

I have a question about this topic...I'm following a 2:1 ratio with my pwo but the split for my carbs is basically 100% dextrose, all from cranberry juice...How good/bad is this?

skunkworks 04-24-2007 06:28 PM

Maniacut, I'm pretty sure you meant fructose here rather than dextrose. The problem with taking in your PWO carbs as fructose is that it digests slowly and does not produce that rush of glucose and insulin we desire. It's really suboptimal. Probably not as bad as not taking in any carbs, but you'd be much better off taking it with water and oats, or Sweet Tarts, or dextrose.

maniacut 04-24-2007 06:50 PM

I'm not even sure, I just wikipedia glanced dextrose and maltodextrin. Dextrin comes from the hydrolysis of starch which I think the cranberry juice has none of so I figured it must have dextrose. Now you're saying it's probably fructose, so I wikipedia glanced that and it definitely looks like that is probably what the cranberry juice mostly is. So I guess the optimal solution here is to get some dextrose and(?) dextrin in powdered form for my pwo? any other thoughts?