Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I have stopped donating to political parties. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=349303)

bocablkr 03-07-2007 02:12 PM

I have stopped donating to political parties.

I usually dontate several hundred dollars a year to political candidates.

I have received two calls in the last week and I told them that I will no longer be donating until Congress repeals the UIGEA act or makes an exemption for poker. They say they understand but ask if I could still donate a little. I respond that all my discretionary funds are tied up in my Neteller account which is now frozen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know it is not much but it makes me feel better.

Poofler 03-07-2007 02:40 PM

Re: I have stopped donating to political parties.

Awesome. I'd like to see the look on the caller's face after your second comment.

WillMagic 03-07-2007 02:51 PM

good for you.

tomdemaine 03-07-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually dontate several hundred dollars a year to political candidates.

I have received two calls in the last week and I told them that I will no longer be donating until Congress repeals the UIGEA act or makes an exemption for poker. They say they understand but ask if I could still donate a little. I respond that all my discretionary funds are tied up in my Neteller account which is now frozen. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know it is not much but it makes me feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice

AlexM 03-07-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They say they understand but ask if I could still donate a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: "We don't care about you, but please still send us money." It's pretty obvious from this where the emphasis on the person you talked to's job is.

BUTNAHHHH 03-07-2007 08:18 PM

if more people refused to donate maybe we wouldnt have to watch the neverending repreats of canidates commericals

AzDesertRat 03-07-2007 09:05 PM

If people stopped contributing, or at least stopped being brainwashed into contributing, corporations, lobbyists and special interest groups would fill the gap with "not yet illegal" means.

Campaign finance reform should be in the form of "if you can't vote, you can't contribute" and it would have to shoved down the throats of Congress to get it done.

JasonK 03-08-2007 10:19 PM

Why should corporations not be allowed to contribute?

AzDesertRat 03-08-2007 11:12 PM

because they don't vote. Only US citizens can vote--if you limit the amount of money funding congress, you limit the size of government because less laws influenced by special interests and lobbyists will be passed.

This power over the purse may, in fact, be regarded as the most complete and effectual weapon with which any constitution can arm the immediate representatives of the people, for obtaining a redress of every grievance, and for carrying into effect every just and salutary measure.

---Federalist 58

It says people, not corporations.