Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   why does this forum care so much about religion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521521)

vulturesrow 10-12-2007 03:27 PM

Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

Lebowski,

Give you full credit for admitting your real motivation in starting religion threads. Most of the atheists here share your motivations, they are just more subtle about it. Basically, religion topics are started for the reason of bashing religion. Thats why I dont bother responding any more.

tpir 10-12-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh come on.

You can't see the irony in a thread with the title "why does this forum care so much about religion", created by someone who has created several religious threads in the past? Followed by posts leading into RELIGIOUS DEBATE?

Re-read the OP. Do you think it honestly has any potential to lead into any worthwhile discussion on science, math, or philosophy? Or do you think it's simply a lead in attempt so that the atheists on here can gather together and pat each other on the back about how they stuck it to those dumb Christians?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are focusing on the word "care" too much.

You also seem very paranoid or biased or something. These atheist circle jerks you keep dreaming of are not taking place.

Splendour 10-12-2007 03:32 PM

Tpir says "Atheism promotes neither torture nor murder, regardless of what implicit ideals you try to draw from a disbelief in God."

Well religion certainly doesn't promote it.

Take a look at the Sermon on the Mount ..it has a turn your other cheek philosophy that Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr. tried to put into action...I don't know any militant Buddhists...Its people and how they twist ideas...Its not the ideas themselves...That's why Hitler tried to write his own Bible, that's why some Communists try to stamp out religion. Ideas are powerful but it takes people to put them into action where they can be twisted and misapplied in accordance with the minds of the people applying the action. Try taking a look at Pol Pot of the Khmer Rouge. He outlawed religion. Repressive regimes take whatever route appeals to them. Abuse/re-write religious ideas or stamp them out to create vacuums of powers so they can seize control. Plenty of repressive regimes hate churchs because they traditionally have served as sanctuarys for dissidents not unlike the role of embassies located in foreign lands. If you're a dictator you either want to control the minds/ideas of your people or stamp out any place your opponents might seek refuge.

Subfallen 10-12-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KKF -

He's probably talking about this thread, which he and BTIrish deemed "illogical" because you obviously don't agree with the Christian premise that people fundamentally deserve to be tortured forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Subfallen,
I didn't deem it illogical. I simply pointed out that all assertions in that thread were completely devoid of any logical framework. It's hard to be illogical when your only "proofs" of Christianity being absurd are blind assertions that don't even CONTAIN any logical arguments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's obvious that his conclusion follows logically from humanistic premises that humans have rights and deserve to be treated fairly.

As I demonstrated in that thread, the Christian alternative is the one that is mendacious and subsists entirely on special pleading.

Again, if you would care to continue debating that point, I would be delighted to expand on the foolishness of your point of view.

Matt R. 10-12-2007 03:33 PM

OK, maybe I am paranoid. Could you, then, just show me what debate or discussion was meant to be elicited from the OP? To me, it seems like the OP was trying to rile up the atheists on here to talk about how stupid Christians are. This kind of content is very prevalent in SMP.

So then... what discussion did OP mean to bring about with statements like,

" debate religion sometimes and my main motive is usually to be mean. I cannot think of another subject where I can pawn someone to a ridiculous extent as much as religion"

"Its like arguing with a child who thinks Santa Clause exists. People who believe in Christianity aren't going to change their mind when you present logic reasoning. If they were interested in logical reasoning, they wouldn't be Christians. "

Oh wow. Forget the quotes. It is basically the whole post.

vhawk01 10-12-2007 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lebowski,

Give you full credit for admitting your real motivation in starting religion threads. Most of the atheists here share your motivations, they are just more subtle about it. Basically, religion topics are started for the reason of bashing religion. Thats why I dont bother responding any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bawk bawk bawk

Matt R. 10-12-2007 03:37 PM

Subfallen,
You are delirious. Re-asserting your position 500 times, refusing to answer the simplest questions, refusing to provide any logical argument, and refusing to define any words you use is not exactly "crushing" someone.

It really bothers you that btirish and I made you look like a fool doesn't it? Come on man, it's an internet message board. That thread was weeks ago. Give it up.

kurto 10-12-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course not. Not yet. But wait until the first Atheist Docrine is written and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand what an atheist is. There is no doctrine to 'not believing there is proof for a supernatural god.'

If you found that Stalin didn't believe in the Tooth Fairy, would you then conclude that the atrocities he committed were due to his lack of believe in tooth loving fairies?

Is there a code of unified beliefs about how to act in the world that comes out of all people who don't believe in the Tooth Fairy?

[ QUOTE ]
I might claim that the reason that the soviet union, headed by an Atheist, tortured and murdered so many, some of whom did believe in God, was because Stalin did not believe in God and didn't want anyone else too because he found religion dangerous so he murdered those that believed...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing about Atheism that leads one to act as Stalin did. If you want examples look to 99.9% of atheists who don't act like or support the actions of Stalin.

[ QUOTE ]
I might claim this, I can't prove this, even though there is probably some truth to it, but you can't disprove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't disprove he didn't act that way because aliens were controlling him from flying saucers in outerspace... therefore we need to give the idea considerable merit.

None of your examples qualify. There are no doctrines to atheism. It is simply someone who doesn't believe there is sufficient reason to believe in an all powerful God.

None of the examples you listed are driven by such beliefs. Atheism isn't needed to explain their actions. It is merely your conjecture for which you admit you have no evidence.

On the other hand, one need only look at history and find that religious people have and DO currently murder and kill specifically because of their religious doctrine.

No such firm examples exist for atheists.

Subfallen 10-12-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Subfallen,
You are delirious. Re-asserting your position 500 times, refusing to answer the simplest questions, refusing to provide any logical argument, and refusing to define any words you use is not exactly "crushing" someone.

It really bothers you that btirish and I made you look like a fool doesn't it? Come on man, it's an internet message board. That thread was weeks ago. Give it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, leaving the thread once it was obvious you had no "argument" besides claiming privileged status for Christian metaphysics...that really made me look like a fool.

AGAIN. I am 100% ready to debate you on the subject: Christian morality and metaphysics are not actually meaningful without special pleading a privileged status for the subjective meaning of these claims.

Ready to go?

Matt R. 10-12-2007 03:40 PM

Subfallen,
Actually, LOL. Based on your most recent post referencing that thread weeks ago, I don't think you even comprehended what I was arguing for or against.

I think this logic stuff is over your head. Don't worry about it fella! I'll try to be nicer in the future.