Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   finally gonna have a tiebreaker game (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512598)

Mondogarage 09-30-2007 09:37 PM

Re: finally gonna have a tiebreaker game

Put it that way, every team has a chance in every game. I mean, even the very worst teams in baseball every year tend to win 55-65 games.

Rockies OPS - .789 (2nd in NL)
Padres OPS - .730 (14th in NL)

That's quite a wide gap.

chim17 09-30-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have any San Diego fans been complaining that Colorado only had to place against the Arizona JV squad on Sunday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they? That's the nature of sports. Every year teams play meaningless games and don't have their top guns in there. And it's not like the Rockies haven't earned this spot in the last month.

skiier04 09-30-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Regardless for a variety of reasons I will find it hard to root against the Rockies tomorrow.... they are just so much more likable than SD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting you, but could you explain why to me? My thinking is obscured by a wall of bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of it probably has to do with chasing you guys for the Wild Card since like July.... so I've just grown used to rooting against the Padres.

Mondogarage 09-30-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have any San Diego fans been complaining that Colorado only had to place against the Arizona JV squad on Sunday?

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, they wouldn't have had reason to complain if they hadn't lost three home games to the Rockies last week.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put it that way, every team has a chance in every game. I mean, even the very worst teams in baseball every year tend to win 55-65 games.

That's quite a wide gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

OPS+ takes ballparks into account,

Rockies 104
Padres 98

Though Milton Bradley had the highest OPS+ on either team at 164.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see Prince Fielder in a Brewers uniform on Sunday.

Chrisman886 09-30-2007 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because Jason Lane landed on him on a poor headfirst slide into 1st base, injuring his ankle.

g-bebe 09-30-2007 10:05 PM

How can you not root for the Rockies? Way more exciting to watch, the underdog story, Helton's chance at the playoffs, all the young players, etc.

It may be tough, because with Peavy on the mound, these two teams are going to be pretty even. I really think the Rockies will win it, though.

chim17 09-30-2007 10:09 PM

I find it hard to believe the unbiased observer wouldn't root for Helton here.

Did anyone see when they got that out to end the game? He jumped around like an 8 year old at Christmas. Was awesome.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because Jason Lane landed on him on a poor headfirst slide into 1st base, injuring his ankle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I saw that, incredibly awkward by Lane.

But if the game mattered Fielder would have been playing and that is the point.

challenger84 09-30-2007 10:33 PM

Fogg may be starting, but you better believe Hurdle will go to the bullpen early and often at the first sign of trouble. And that means Morales could easily be pitching at least 4-5 innings and become the de facto starter if Fogg struggles out of the gate.

boudge7 09-30-2007 10:41 PM

I was at the game today, the atmosphere was incredible. Watching them change the score when the Brewers took the lead was amazing. I had my Treo giving me and all the people around updates, but the feeling in Coors Field when the Brewers widened their lead to 9-4 was insane. I was in line for tiebreaker tickets after the Rockies batted in the 8th. Everyone that knew I was there started texting me, asking if I was getting tickets. Section 141 row 26. I bought tickets earlier in the week for the divisional series already. It is finally a great time to be a Rockies fan.

Mondogarage 09-30-2007 10:45 PM

Yup, everyone's available except for Jimenez and Redman.

Remember that night we used 10 pitchers a couple of weeks back? We've got 19 on the active roster, and we may just use 16, lol. Lord help us if we have to throw Serafini or Bautista in for a batter, though.

I can't see Morales pitching more than 3 innings on short rest, though, since he's only 21 and has pitched a fair share of innings this year, though I could accept being wrong.

Anyway, it's going to be fun -- Section 218, baby!

Anyone check the tix prices on Craigslist? It's crazy - 3rd deck, halfway down the line, for $100/ticket. I should have bought more when I had the chance to make some mad mobnies.

Chrisman886 09-30-2007 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you can say that with any degree of certainty. If you have a link to an article reflecting your sentiment I will eat my words.

Mondogarage 09-30-2007 10:47 PM

Went yesterday, going tomorrow, have tix for our first home game in NLDS, buying NLCS, but probably shouldn't try to buy for both home games.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you can say that with any degree of certainty. If you have a link to an article reflecting your sentiment I will eat my words.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering Fielder stayed in the game yesterday and is listed only as having a sore ankle and shin(not serious injury) I can say that with a high degree of certainty.

challenger84 09-30-2007 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone check the tix prices on Craigslist? It's crazy - 3rd deck, halfway down the line, for $100/ticket. I should have bought more when I had the chance to make some mad mobnies.

[/ QUOTE ]

argh.... i had the chance to get a whole bunch of tickets, like 32 at least. I ended up getting 4 extra and selling them for $50 a pop (they were $15 tix) and I thought that I was ripping the guy off. Oh well, I am essentially going for free now and that's all I care about.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

argh.... i had the chance to get a whole bunch of tickets, like 32 at least. I ended up getting 4 extra and selling them for $50 a pop (they were $15 tix) and I thought that I was ripping the guy off. Oh well, I am essentially going for free now and that's all I care about.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 16 tickets for each of the NLDS games are looking so nice.........

CardSharpCook 09-30-2007 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In regards to this game.. I feel the Rockies are much better 1-8. But Fogg has me extremely nervous, and I am not excited that he is pitching. The pitching battle definitely favors SD here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I AM CAPT OBVIOUS!!!! I SAY WHAT IS OBVIOUS... TO EVERYONE...OBVIOUSLY!

challenger84 09-30-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My 16 tickets for each of the NLDS games are looking so nice.........

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I got four tickets to each of those games, should have got more when I had the chance. God knows I'll be up at 9 am tomorrow to get NLCS tickets.

chim17 09-30-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In regards to this game.. I feel the Rockies are much better 1-8. But Fogg has me extremely nervous, and I am not excited that he is pitching. The pitching battle definitely favors SD here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I AM CAPT OBVIOUS!!!! I SAY WHAT IS OBVIOUS... TO EVERYONE...OBVIOUSLY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your addition.

Pudge714 09-30-2007 11:19 PM

COORS FIELD INFLATES OFFENSIVE STATS
PETCO PARK DEFLATES OFFENSIVE STATS

chim17 09-30-2007 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's quite a wide gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

OPS+ takes ballparks into account,

Rockies 104
Padres 98

Though Milton Bradley had the highest OPS+ on either team at 164.

[/ QUOTE ]

chim17 09-30-2007 11:22 PM

How is it Rockies are widely looked at as one of the best defensive teams then?

While Coors is still a hitters park, the humidor has greatly changed the difference the field makes.

Mondogarage 10-01-2007 01:01 AM

Because they've made like 67 errors all year long, and (pending results tomorrow) have the highest single season team fielding percentage ever.

PokerFink 10-01-2007 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crazy cheap. Tiebreaker tickets for Phillies/Mets were in the $500 range.

PokerFink 10-01-2007 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's quite a wide gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Park adjust your numbers.

PokerFink 10-01-2007 01:12 AM

As a Phillies fan, I'm rooting for the Padres since they're banged up and have to use Peavy tomorrow, obv.

If the winner wasn't playing the Phillies, I wouldn't really care who wins. I'm nuetral towards both the Padres and Rockies.

Goodluck to both of you, and see one of you Wednesday.

chim17 10-01-2007 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because they've made like 67 errors all year long, and (pending results tomorrow) have the highest single season team fielding percentage ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.. it was rhetorical. The whole Coors field is a hitters park thing is way overblown and more a product of the past pre-humidor days than reality.

THAY3R 10-01-2007 01:21 AM

It's still a very big hitters park.

And errors/fielding % is a horrible way to judge defense.

edit: Not saying they're a bad defensive team. Tulowitzki and Holliday are both sick sick defenders.

21times20 10-01-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rockies leading by 2/3 in this poll. You people know Peavy is pitching right? 2.36 ERA, 234 SO.

[/ QUOTE ]

how right you are.

now if you'll be so kind, allow me to indulge you with a stat line of my own:

peavy career in coors field:

3-3, 3.96 ERA, 1.5 whip, .281 BAA

of all parks where he's played more than 3 starts, these are his worst numbers

[/ QUOTE ]

im confused, is a 3.96 ERA bad for coors field?

CardSharpCook 10-01-2007 01:38 AM

got the rox at +135. After all the good things I've said about peavy, I feel like a hypocrite.

chim17 10-01-2007 01:53 AM

I put money on the Rockies too, but the line scares me. It seems the public money may go on the Rockies which is always somewhat questionable.

Jack of Arcades 10-01-2007 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.. it was rhetorical. The whole Coors field is a hitters park thing is way overblown and more a product of the past pre-humidor days than reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still been one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league the last two years (PF of 107 both years, incidentally). Petco is obviously one of the worst. Even if Coors is no longer as hitter friendly when it opened, there is quite a large gap and the adjustment is quite large.

The Pads aren't a great hitting team, especially with Milton Bradley out, but they aren't the 14th best team in the NL and Colorado isn't the 2nd best.

CardSharpCook 10-01-2007 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I put money on the Rockies too, but the line scares me. It seems the public money may go on the Rockies which is always somewhat questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

except taht in the public's mind the Rockies are this [censored] team from the midwest and SD has been successful over the past 10 years. "You really expect the PADRES, with the BEST PITCHER IN BASEBALL, are going to lose to the ROCKIES!!! Some UPSTART team who happens to be on a hot streak??? Btch, plz! 200 on the Padres, plz. I don't care if it is -115 and played in COL."

MicroBob 10-01-2007 02:41 AM

Rockies are from the midwest?

johnnylovescandy 10-01-2007 02:44 AM

If Fogg beats Peavy, I predict Rockies will win 2007 World Series.

Too bad Francis just pitched last Friday in a game the Rockies lost...

MyTurn2Raise 10-01-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

will be when Colorado University joins the Big11Ten

Losing all 10-01-2007 04:30 AM

Wait, tell me this MFER isn't not on TV. I might kill bud (selig not black)if I gotta watch MNF. Go rocks

CardSharpCook 10-01-2007 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you happen to from the West or the East, then yes, the Rockies are def MidWest.