Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   finally gonna have a tiebreaker game (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512598)

Mondogarage 09-30-2007 09:37 PM

Re: finally gonna have a tiebreaker game

Put it that way, every team has a chance in every game. I mean, even the very worst teams in baseball every year tend to win 55-65 games.

Rockies OPS - .789 (2nd in NL)
Padres OPS - .730 (14th in NL)

That's quite a wide gap.

chim17 09-30-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have any San Diego fans been complaining that Colorado only had to place against the Arizona JV squad on Sunday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they? That's the nature of sports. Every year teams play meaningless games and don't have their top guns in there. And it's not like the Rockies haven't earned this spot in the last month.

skiier04 09-30-2007 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Regardless for a variety of reasons I will find it hard to root against the Rockies tomorrow.... they are just so much more likable than SD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting you, but could you explain why to me? My thinking is obscured by a wall of bias.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of it probably has to do with chasing you guys for the Wild Card since like July.... so I've just grown used to rooting against the Padres.

Mondogarage 09-30-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have any San Diego fans been complaining that Colorado only had to place against the Arizona JV squad on Sunday?

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, they wouldn't have had reason to complain if they hadn't lost three home games to the Rockies last week.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put it that way, every team has a chance in every game. I mean, even the very worst teams in baseball every year tend to win 55-65 games.

Rockies OPS - .789 (2nd in NL)
Padres OPS - .730 (14th in NL)

That's quite a wide gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

OPS+ takes ballparks into account,

Rockies 104
Padres 98

Though Milton Bradley had the highest OPS+ on either team at 164.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see Prince Fielder in a Brewers uniform on Sunday.

Chrisman886 09-30-2007 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because Jason Lane landed on him on a poor headfirst slide into 1st base, injuring his ankle.

g-bebe 09-30-2007 10:05 PM

How can you not root for the Rockies? Way more exciting to watch, the underdog story, Helton's chance at the playoffs, all the young players, etc.

It may be tough, because with Peavy on the mound, these two teams are going to be pretty even. I really think the Rockies will win it, though.

chim17 09-30-2007 10:09 PM

I find it hard to believe the unbiased observer wouldn't root for Helton here.

Did anyone see when they got that out to end the game? He jumped around like an 8 year old at Christmas. Was awesome.

MrFeelNothin 09-30-2007 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because Jason Lane landed on him on a poor headfirst slide into 1st base, injuring his ankle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I saw that, incredibly awkward by Lane.

But if the game mattered Fielder would have been playing and that is the point.