Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Worst career starts (and finishes) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=551585)

PartyGirlUK 11-21-2007 04:17 PM

Worst career starts (and finishes)

I'm thinking Scott Carson's England career might just have the most inauspicious start ever.

After getting controversially selected ahead of the established keeper for a really vital game, his very first touch consisted of fumbling a stupendously easily save (ball trickling along the floor straight towards him) into the net. It'll be on youtube in a few hours, but trust me, its as big a mistake as a goalie can make.

Worst finish has to be Zidane.

Semtex 11-21-2007 04:20 PM

Re: Worst career starts (and finishes)

Dan Marino lost like 62-0 in his last game

sethypooh21 11-21-2007 04:22 PM

At least it wasn't a big game or anything. At least I save money by not trying to find may way to the Euros next summer...

Needle77 11-21-2007 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dan Marino lost like 62-7 in his last game

[/ QUOTE ]

Greatest game ever.

chezlaw 11-21-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but trust me, its as big a mistake as a goalie can make.

[/ QUOTE ]
There was that goalie who went to throw the ball out and threw it in his own net. Think it was in the world cup.

Matt Williams 11-21-2007 04:34 PM

David Cone's career after he pitched his perfect game.

prohornblower 11-21-2007 04:54 PM

A-Rod broke into the big leagues and almost won the MVP award in his first season. Great start.

But he will end his career ring-less because he isn't a winner. He doesn't have grit. He's all about himself and his superhuman stats. He's not true. He's not a Yankee. His eyes aren't calm. He isn't bi-racial. He's just A-Rod: Colossal Failure.

kidcolin 11-21-2007 05:05 PM

Bucholz - no hitter in his second MLB start.

PokerFink 11-21-2007 05:08 PM

Ben Roethlisberger won his first 15 starts including the playoffs.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-21-2007 05:15 PM

Wayne Gretzky won MVP his first 8 seasons in the NHL. pretty good

(but Ray Bourque won ROY his 1st year, take that Gretzky!!)

PartyGirlUK 11-21-2007 05:19 PM

Guys,

I'm not really talking about prodigies who were outstanding from the start, more short term brilliance (like no hitter in 2nd game, goal with first touch) etc.

soapstar 11-21-2007 05:32 PM

Greg Maddux

start: 8-18, 5.59
since: 339-196, 3.09

Dynasty 11-21-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod broke into the big leagues and almost won the MVP award in his first season. Great start.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a selective memory.

ARod broke into the Majors in July of 1994. I was at his first game at Fenway Park. He didn't do much of anything that year and started the next season in the minors.

He then got called up about a two and a half weeks into the 1995 season and then went back and forth between the Majors and AAA accumulating just 142 at bats in Seattle. He didn't hit very well with .232/.264/.408 #s.

It was only in 1996 that ARod broke out and led the AL with a .358 batting average.

Omniheart 11-21-2007 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ARod broke into the Majors in July of 1994. I was at his first game at Fenway Park. He didn't do much of anything that year and started the next season in the minors.

He then got called up about a two and a half weeks into the 1995 season and then went back and forth between the Majors and AAA accumulating just 142 at bats in Seattle. He didn't hit very well with .232/.264/.408 #s.

It was only in 1996 that ARod broke out and led the AL with a .358 batting average.

[/ QUOTE ]

riods?

pryor15 11-21-2007 05:38 PM

numerous guys have homered on the first pitch they saw in the big leagues (Will Clark comes to mind)

Andruw Jones homered in his first 2 WS ABs the year before his rookie year (i think)

Killua 11-21-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But he will end his career ring-less because he isn't a winner. He doesn't have grit. He's all about himself and his superhuman stats. He's not true. He's not a Yankee. His eyes aren't calm. He isn't bi-racial. He's just A-Rod: Colossal Failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol brilliant

PokerFink 11-21-2007 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
numerous guys have homered on the first pitch they saw in the big leagues (Will Clark comes to mind)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a ton of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._league_at-bat

Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grand slam on the first pitch he ever saw. That's pretty cool. He's the only player to do that.

Triumph36 11-21-2007 06:02 PM

The ignominious end to Jerry Rice, Dave Andreychuk, and Steve Carlton come to mind.

Rice was basically cut from the Broncos' training camp after an entirely forgettable stint with the Seattle Seahawks. Andreychuk was waived mid-season as the captain of the defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning - he hung on one season too long, and was forced into retirement. Steve Carlton pitched horribly for the Minnesota Twins. Some players just don't know when to let go.

Every time the Yankees play the Tigers, they reshow Marcus Thames hitting his first major league pitch into the seats, off Randy Johnson.

SL__72 11-21-2007 06:08 PM

Joe Theismann's football career ended pretty badly. The end of his broadcasting career wasn't pretty either (well, no parts of it were).

prohornblower 11-21-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you know what I mean. I know damn well he came up and had a cup of coffee before 1996. He was also a teenager those years IIRC. And out of my entire post, it's funny that that is all you picked apart. I said A-Rod wasn't bi-racial, and only cared about his superhuman stats. lol.

Victor 11-21-2007 06:41 PM

wtf is wrong with you guys? dean makes a post about horrible career starts and you guys name a bunch of dudes who pwned. get your own freakin thread.

Russ M. 11-21-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a ton of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._league_at-bat

Kevin Kouzmanoff hit a grand slam on the first pitch he ever saw. That's pretty cool. He's the only player to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Eddie Morgan on this list. Homered off the first pitch he ever saw then had 65 more ABs in his 2-year career.

offTopic 11-21-2007 07:39 PM

Mike Morgan was rushed into the bigs at 18 by the A's, got hammered, had the same thing happen the following year, then didn't get to the bigs again until 3 years later, was mediocre, hopped around several teams, but ultimately became an All-Star.

For bad endings, Dale Earnhardt (too soon?)

suzzer99 11-21-2007 07:49 PM

I think Deion Sanders and Dale Carter both had punt returns for touchdowns the first time they touched the ball in the NFL.

Triumph36 11-21-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is wrong with you guys? dean makes a post about horrible career starts and you guys name a bunch of dudes who pwned. get your own freakin thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, good call.

i was thinking it said best and worst.

worst would have to be that guy connie mack hired off the street to pitch.

Los Feliz Slim 11-21-2007 07:54 PM

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/ba...-boggs-300.jpg

SuperUberBob 11-21-2007 07:57 PM

I think Ryan Leaf had a pretty bad start and finish.

Spellmen 11-21-2007 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim Couch beats him in worst finish. Weak comeback attempt that failed despite using HGH

Victor 11-21-2007 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim Couch beats him in worst finish. Weak comeback attempt that failed despite using HGH

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget his first retirement when the home fans cheered bc he got injured and had to leave the field.

Spellmen 11-21-2007 08:36 PM

On a slightly different note, Michael Irvin leaving to the cheers of Philly fans was pretty bad

PartyGirlUK 11-21-2007 09:47 PM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...amp;pr=goog-sl

His first touch as an England player.

anatta 11-21-2007 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For bad endings, Dale Earnhardt (too soon?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you know I don't think so but that doesn't prove anything.

HajiShirazu 11-21-2007 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hilarious goal, the croatian player has this "wtf i actually scored on that!?" look. WP england and all managers who make keeper changes before huge games.

TomCollins 11-21-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is definitely one of the worst career starts I've ever seen. Reading comprehension ftw.

guilt_trip 11-21-2007 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hilarious goal, the croatian player has this "wtf i actually scored on that!?" look. WP england and all managers who make keeper changes before huge games.

[/ QUOTE ]

bah Robinson deserved to be dropped. He should've put in Robert Green. Also add that Carson made a couple of excellent saves in the second half giving us a chance to equalise and then break my soul

Also does Dave Busst count? That has to be the most sickening way to end a career

PokerFink 11-21-2007 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is definitely one of the worst career starts I've ever seen. Reading comprehension ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, there were a few posts of great starts before I posted mine. So blame their reading comprehension =)

gusmahler 11-21-2007 10:55 PM

What could have been the greatest finish ever Babe Ruth. He was close, but not close enough.

Everyone knows that Ted Williams last HR was hit in his last major league AB. Did you know that Babe Ruth's last three HRs were in the same game? In that game, he went 4 for 4 with 3 HRs. So his last hit was an HR, just like Williams. Unlike Williams, Ruth played 5 more games, going hitless, before retiring in the middle of the season. His last AB, he struck out, then injured his knee in the field. He never played again.

http://danholmes.mlblogs.com/from_co...ory_of_ba.html

TomCollins 11-21-2007 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, there were a few posts of great starts before I posted mine. So blame their reading comprehension =)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, prohornblower who mentioned a great start for Arod only to predict he would end finish poorly.

34TheTruth34 11-22-2007 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For bad endings, Dale Earnhardt

[/ QUOTE ]

/thread

pryor15 11-22-2007 02:27 AM

Joe Nuxhall, at age 15:

[ QUOTE ]
He started well, retiring two of the first three batters he faced. But he was unable to get the third out of the inning, and ended up allowing five walks, two hits, one wild pitch and five runs before being relieved. He spent the rest of the 1944 season in the minor leagues.

[/ QUOTE ]