Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546255)

Ansky 11-14-2007 06:52 PM

Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

[ QUOTE ]
"I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do."

Doesn't any good job require this anyway? This might be the worst few lines in any poker blog ever. Hes saying I really want to turn around my results, but I don't want to put in the time or the effort to become better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this completely.

No offense to Shannon, I have heard he is quite good, but there are like 4 ppl in the entire world who can really make a living at online MTTs. There just isn't a enough high stakes volume available (and no, I do not think the 20r and 100fo is high stakes). If you could 8 table 215s then yea, itd be a good way to make a living, but you can't and it's just a terrible idea to be a professional MTT player.

0524432 11-14-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea who Shannon Shorr is but I just read the bio on his blog and he seems like some random guy who went on a hot streak in tournaments and is now being pulled back into reality because he's realized he's not as good at poker as he originally thought. Big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a douche and thinks he's better than anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shannon is an awesome dude and is completely laid back, chill and fun to hang out with. I don't know why you would say that about him, other then maybe you've never met him and just felt like making some random judgment on teh internets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not suprised. 2+2, NVG especially, has become a haven for people who get off lurking around responding Ban. or [ ] "Insert smart [censored] comment here" to just berate who ever they can.

Don't get me wrong, 2+2 is the most prestigious online poker forum for a reason, but the mods here need to do more to keep the flaming under control IMO, it is regressive to the status of these forums.

SS should be applauded for being so honest about his experiences with the life of a full-timer and whether some of you would like to admit it or not, many will take what he is saying to heart. If nothing else, SS may have just saved a few players from dropping out of college because the ran well in donkaments for a month and save them from turning their lives upside down, often in a way that is very much irreversible.

Halfpoint 11-14-2007 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am close friends with Shannon and we were roomates this summer. I have seen first hand how much of a struggle playing at such a high level can be. He is an amazing player, but like most people that are great at something he holds himself to a very high standard and is too hard on himself.

I think its commendable that Shannon is able to be honest in his blog about what he is going through, too many poker players lie about their results to protect their ego. Say what you want about Shannon, but he has had more success playing poker then most people that read this forum, so think twice before you judge.

-Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

The way he said that he started dabbling in cash games says it all. It is too damn hard to be a full-time tournament player. The Iveys, Reese's and Brunsons of the poker world made their money in cash games, not tournaments.

I know more than a few bracelet holders/$1k$10kbuyin winners that refuse to play cash games because "they are tournamnet players" They are busto wayyyyy to often to be considered sucessful pros.

gobbomom 11-14-2007 06:57 PM

He's right. "Dan in Real Life" is horrible.

88jayhawks 11-14-2007 07:01 PM

all the hate in this thread is probably make shannon work harder to prove you retards wrong. gl shannon.

Jurollo 11-14-2007 07:01 PM

Shannon is a friggin awesome dude. The kid who trashed him here obviously hasnt ever met him.

Ansky,
I play strictly MTT's [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

PBFan 11-14-2007 07:03 PM

GG

Vega33 11-14-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SS should be applauded for being so honest about his experiences with the life of a full-timer and whether some of you would like to admit it or not, many will take what he is saying to heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, which is why I've enjoyed reading his blog even though there are a lot of blogs by bigger names out there. Shannon is honest and doesn't just try to prop himself up, like so many out there. Those thinking about entering the tournament poker life would do well to read the archives of his blog and see what it's like.

hobiejuan1 11-14-2007 07:22 PM

I know Shannon personally ( I took him on in the weight-loss prop bet) and anyone that thinks he is a douche has never met the guy. He's one of the nicest and most humble guys you will ever come across. He'll be successful in whatever he chooses to do in life. Piss on anybody that thinks otherwise

jcmoussa 11-14-2007 07:27 PM

before he moved onto donkaments,shannon was actually a pretty tough full ring 25/50 player