Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   possible reason arod signed early? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547284)

Carrotboy8 11-15-2007 11:51 PM

possible reason arod signed early?

i believe arod would have gotten 300 mil at some point if he held out and i think it's insane that he's signing so early in free agency. that said, i submit to you that it is possible arod is signing because he is one of the 11 free agents implicated in the mitchell investigation and is signing now because he knows if it became public his price would plummet

thoughts?

mmbt0ne 11-15-2007 11:52 PM

Re: possible reason arod signed early?

arod signed early b/c with cabrera on the market and no yankees in the bidding war he wasn't getting 300M.

Jack of Arcades 11-15-2007 11:53 PM

I'm pretty sure he would've already known when opting out. He called New York's bluff, and they gave him the 10 year deal he wanted.

ZBTHorton 11-15-2007 11:53 PM

I think he signed because nobody showed even remote interest in him. Nobody wants to deal with Boras. Nobody has 300 million except the Yanks/Sox.

Russ M. 11-16-2007 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he signed because nobody showed even remote interest in him. Nobody wants to deal with Boras. Nobody has 300 million except the Yanks/Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 12:05 AM

Seems unlikely the Yankees would give him 275m if there was no market for A-Rod.

Riverman 11-16-2007 12:12 AM

Anyone else hear on sportscenter that ARod essentially fired Scott Boras and used Goldman Sachs to negotiate with the Yankees?

capone0 11-16-2007 12:13 AM

Boras is a retard.

Bedreviter 11-16-2007 12:19 AM

If its true that he will get a hefty bonus for breaking various HR-records he might end up getting more than $300 million afterall, so seems like a pretty sweet deal for A-Rod.

CharlieDontSurf 11-16-2007 12:28 AM

I think Arod signed because he never wanted to leave the Yankees but he simply wanted to get the best deal he could and Boras figured they could get a 300+ deal from the Yankees if they made other teams bid against them. Alex believed him and thus opted out on the advise of Boras. Boras convinced him that the Yankees were just bullshitting and would bid for his services along with several other teams.

That didn't happen. Boras ended up making his client even more hated by the population and Arod realized without a bidding war the Yankees were the team that could give him the best deal quickly so he could get this mess overwith. I think Arod cares about his legacy and would love to go down as a all time great Yankee. So he kissed and made up and said give me the best offer u woulda given me pre-opt out and lets get this done.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-16-2007 12:30 AM

what's lost year is that Arod just signed the largest contract in MLB history

(and he's 32 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

Borgland 11-16-2007 12:33 AM

Boras got greedy, as usual, and it cost them in the end.

I agree that A-Roid saw the damage his rep was taking and said "screw this". Hopefully he flat out fires Boras.

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 12:34 AM

Yeah.

He basically got the 8/221 extension previously reported up to 10 years (same money) while the Yankees lost the Texas money.

He also gets the 300m if he breaks the record I think. With Bonds likely never playing another game that means he needs 244 hr, or over 100k per HR. That's pretty sweet.

Franchise 60 11-16-2007 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he would've already known when opting out. He called New York's bluff, and they gave him the 10 year deal he wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are totally misreading the situation. Boras convinced A-Rod the Yankees were bluffing and they'd still go after him, he was like ok Scotty. Then the Yankees stop talking with him, hes like wtf scotty thought they were bluffing. Then HE initiates talks with the Yankees, then HE agrees to keep Boras on the outside looking in.

Initially Boras told the Yankees it would take 350 million to even talk before they opted out, now he signs a 275 mil deal and he called the Yanks bluff? You are totally misreading what happened.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-16-2007 12:48 AM

Boras probably knew all along the $350 number wasn't gonna happen. he just made it up so when Arod settles for $300 it looks like he gave in.

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 12:48 AM

He has been offered the longest contract in history and apparently a larger contract than the Yankees were offering before he opted out.

So what if Boras said the Yankees needed 350 million? If Boras said they needed to give him 1 billion dollars, would it matter? The Yankees said very clearly by opting out the Yankees would not negotiate with A-Rod. Period. Instead they gave him the largest contract ever, and one that will pay A-Rod until he is 42.

The spin doesn't matter. A-Rod "crawling back" to the Yankees doesn't matter. If the reports are true he's got a better deal by opting out than he would have by not opting out.

Edit: and lol, Boras is such a villain so that when A-Rod blows off Boras he looks like a good guy.

wisehandpoker 11-16-2007 01:02 AM

Far too much is being made of the $350 million number. pretty sure Boras wanted to get ARod to market and chose a number that would be too good to pass up free agency for.

kyleb 11-16-2007 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Boras is a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he isn't. Now you're being an idiot.

kyleb 11-16-2007 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Boras probably knew all along the $350 number wasn't gonna happen. he just made it up so when Arod settles for $300 it looks like he gave in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the whole [censored] point. Everyone who can't grasp this concept needs to take a class on negotiating tactics.

Riverman 11-16-2007 01:17 AM

Exactly, this is why every plaintiff's lawyer asks for $5m when their client suffered a bruised wrist in a car accident.

CharlieDontSurf 11-16-2007 04:06 AM

first ive heard of it...but from nypost article

While Yankees officials went underground yesterday and Boras was silent outside of telling CNBC he is negotiating with the Yankees on Rodriguez's behalf after many believed Rodriguez went behind Boras' back, it's believed the best offer Rodriguez had before surfacing in Tampa Wednesday to meet with the Steinbrenner family was for eight years and $225 million. It wasn't known what team made that offer.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-16-2007 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else hear on sportscenter that ARod essentially fired Scott Boras and used Goldman Sachs to negotiate with the Yankees?

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes more sense than the original story that the Yankees told A-Rod they'd only talk to him if Boras wasn't involved, since that's in violation of the Basic Agreement.

pryor15 11-16-2007 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
first ive heard of it...but from nypost article

While Yankees officials went underground yesterday and Boras was silent outside of telling CNBC he is negotiating with the Yankees on Rodriguez's behalf after many believed Rodriguez went behind Boras' back, it's believed the best offer Rodriguez had before surfacing in Tampa Wednesday to meet with the Steinbrenner family was for eight years and $225 million. It wasn't known what team made that offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's true, then Boras/ARod got the Yankees to overpay by 2 years and $50M. wow

SL__72 11-16-2007 01:06 PM

Did anyone read the Boras chat on BP a few months back?

Dids 11-16-2007 01:15 PM

Boras's chats are always interesting.

The guy is staggeringly good at what he does, and it's hilarious how the public perception of that throug the owners is "HE'S TOO GOOD IT'S NOT FAIR MAKE IT GO AWAY MOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

ArcticKnight 11-16-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has been offered the longest contract in history and apparently a larger contract than the Yankees were offering before he opted out.

So what if Boras said the Yankees needed 350 million? If Boras said they needed to give him 1 billion dollars, would it matter? The Yankees said very clearly by opting out the Yankees would not negotiate with A-Rod. Period. Instead they gave him the largest contract ever, and one that will pay A-Rod until he is 42.

The spin doesn't matter. A-Rod "crawling back" to the Yankees doesn't matter. If the reports are true he's got a better deal by opting out than he would have by not opting out.

Edit: and lol, Boras is such a villain so that when A-Rod blows off Boras he looks like a good guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on all points except the "crawling back" part. Based on the exchanges back and forth, if there is any perception of crawling back it will be that the Yankees crawled back to A-rod. After all, it was the Yankees who gave A-Rod/Boras an ultimatum.

FWIW, I think having Boras out of the picture for these talks helped the Yankess save face, and it infers all would have been good from the beginning if not for Boras.

Anyway, latest news is that the Yankees are intersted in Lowell for 1st base (or they are just trying to make the Redsox pay bigger $$ for him..lol).

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 01:46 PM

No way, A-Rod will be seen as "humbled" and all that. People will think A-Rod "lost." I submit to you exhibit A, Gene Wojcieshowski

[ QUOTE ]
If ever two people deserved very large servings of humility it is Rodriguez and agent Boras. They spectacularly underestimated the blowback caused by their latest series of business miscalculations. The bumbling has further damaged A-Rod's credibility and left welt marks on Boras' carefully crafted persona of invincibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

mosdef 11-16-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What did it cost them?

ArcticKnight 11-16-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way, A-Rod will be seen as "humbled" and all that. People will think A-Rod "lost." I submit to you exhibit A, Gene Wojcieshowski

[ QUOTE ]
If ever two people deserved very large servings of humility it is Rodriguez and agent Boras. They spectacularly underestimated the blowback caused by their latest series of business miscalculations. The bumbling has further damaged A-Rod's credibility and left welt marks on Boras' carefully crafted persona of invincibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, but I'm not sure if Wojcieshowski's take will be consistent with the general public opinion.

The Yankees lost the Texas $, they went back on their ultimatum, and they are giving him 27.5M per year plus incentives. Many people were saying that 10 years in the 25M to 30M range was what A-rod and Boras really wanted, so I am not seeing how A-Rod comes off bad on this. Also, Boras siad if the Yankees wanted A-Rod they could deal with him on the open market, which they did.

Thanks for the link.

SL__72 11-16-2007 02:08 PM

ARod didn't lose at all though.

The Yankees want ARod back obviously, but they said they wouldn't negotiate with him if he opted out. Saying he has to deduct the $21mil in Texas money from the new contract is their way of saving face. So basically they take the $300mil he wants, subtract $25 for the Texas money they lose and then give him the $25 back in incentives.

Borgland 11-16-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What did it cost them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to his original asking price of 300-350 mill. And the damage to his reputation and relationship with A-Rod.

You got to wonder how that's going to work now. Does ARod keep him? Of course Boras wants to stay, the money's too good to leave. They'll probably be fine but I would think there's a loss of a little trust between them now. Unless of course this was planned out somehow.

Jack of Arcades 11-16-2007 02:50 PM

"Asking price" doesn't matter. What's the best deal A-Rod would have gotten had he not opted out? Is it better or worse than what he did get?

Kneel B4 Zod 11-16-2007 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What did it cost them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to his original asking price of 300-350 mill. And the damage to his reputation and relationship with A-Rod.

You got to wonder how that's going to work now. Does ARod keep him? Of course Boras wants to stay, the money's too good to leave. They'll probably be fine but I would think there's a loss of a little trust between them now. Unless of course this was planned out somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if Boras's asking price had been a hundred kajillion dollars? then he really would have gotten killed in this negotiation, right?

Borgland 11-16-2007 03:00 PM

Alright, so the money is fine. They still lose on the rep and relationship points.

JaredL 11-16-2007 03:01 PM

Would the Yankees have offered him an extension totaling 10 years at a total of 290 or so if he and Boras had negotiated? I don't think the Yankees would have just given him the extra 20 million since they had at least a little bargaining power.

That's the only question to answer as far as whether A-Rod miscalculated or whatever.

CharlieDontSurf 11-16-2007 03:01 PM

They got killed in the deal because he almost ruined what little rep Arod had. Arod is now back to 2006 status...he's gonna get booed by the home crowd 24/7.

Coming off an amazing year I highly doubt that Boras and Arod thought they would only be getting 27.5 per year when the last contract was 25 per year.

The incentive is kind of meaningless because the money the Yankees will generate if Arod chases and breaks the HR record will be insane

Kneel B4 Zod 11-16-2007 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coming off an amazing year I highly doubt that Boras and Arod thought they would only be getting 27.5 per year when the last contract was 25 per year.

[/ QUOTE ]

but who is the next highest paid player? Manny? Jeter? is anybody over $20m? I forget, but when thought about in that light, $27.5m x 10 is a pretty sweet deal for a player who is likely to decline in a couple years

CharlieDontSurf 11-16-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but who is the next highest paid player? Manny? Jeter? is anybody over $20m? I forget, but when thought about in that light, $27.5m x 10 is a pretty sweet deal for a player who is likely to decline in a couple years

[/ QUOTE ]

yes..but the next highest paid player think doesn't really matter. look at Rivera. Teams will overpay esp in a market with so few options. And I'm sure that the assumption boras was going on

Kneel B4 Zod 11-16-2007 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes..but the next highest paid player think doesn't really matter. look at Rivera. Teams will overpay esp in a market with so few options. And I'm sure that the assumption boras was going on

[/ QUOTE ]

but all of these things have been true for years, and still nobody is particulary close to the deal Arod just signed.

Dids 11-16-2007 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, so the money is fine. They still lose on the rep and relationship points.

[/ QUOTE ]

A shame, because these totally count if they tie with Boston at the end of the season next year.

It would seem that Alex/Boras managed to once again get a team to bid against itself, and this time after that team said it wouldn't!