Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Is optimism insane? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370174)

kartinken 04-02-2007 11:13 AM

Is optimism insane?

I'm going around and I am very surprised to see so many people thinking the outlook of online poker in the US is bad.

I frankly think a 2nd pokerboom is coming. I expect at least online poker, and perhaps online gambling as a whole to be legal withint 2 years?

Am I just living in a dream world? The climate seems to constantly be changing for the better.

Even the politicains didn't want this as a long term law, they just wanted to stifle the market so they could move it all to the US.

Scummy, sure, but to think there won't be gambling, especially poker, seems to be pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic.

Harrah's bought Party. Am I the only one not blind as a bat?

KK

Sniper 04-02-2007 11:17 AM

Re: Is optimism insane?

[ QUOTE ]
Harrah's bought Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

What???

Poker CPA 04-02-2007 11:58 AM

And just what does Party have that Harrah needs. Party's software is obsolete, their customers will leave for the right bonuses and the US will make it appealing to US taxpayers to play at Harrahs. No way they pay a nickle for Party Gaming.

kartinken 04-02-2007 12:05 PM

my point was just that internet gambling is very close to coming back legally to the US, as I see it.

gaboonviper 04-02-2007 12:05 PM

I for one have tried to maintain an overall optimistic, glass half full point of view in all my posts. I have tried to be the voice of reason and rationality and maintaining a level head post UIGEA. I guess the positive, "never panic" attitude conveyed in my posts is acting like a beacon of light and hope for the future of poker.

Skallagrim 04-02-2007 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I for one have tried to maintain an overall optimistic, glass half full point of view in all my posts. I have tried to be the voice of reason and rationality and maintaining a level head post UIGEA. I guess the positive, "never panic" attitude conveyed in my posts is acting like a beacon of light and hope for the future of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to make sense of THIS post is to redate it to the day before. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Skallagrim 04-02-2007 12:22 PM

As for optomisim in general, there are reasons to be optomistic as far as onliine poker is concerned: Frist and Leach are gone; WTO; Barney Frank; and the success fo FTP and Pokerstars.

Also, the next few months will, I think, see a change in the e-funding world where operators look at what has happened, consult with lawyers, and develop new strategies for funding poker sites only, possibly with individual state restrictions. This will put the DOJ to a severe test of its long spread belief that "poker is already illegal." When the DOJ has to back down on that, at least with respect to poker in most states, a new poker boom is likely.

permafrost 04-02-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I expect at least online poker, and perhaps online gambling as a whole to be legal withint 2 years?

Am I just living in a dream world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any objective evidence to support your wild supposition?

TheJokerIsWild 04-02-2007 12:44 PM

"Am I the only one not blind as a bat?"

No, gaboonviper is too.

Grasshopp3r 04-02-2007 01:25 PM

Where there is money, so too will be the US gaming interests. I agree with the OP that there will be an online gaming industry in the US. I disagree with Harrahs buying Party. I think that the purchaser will be a private equity group.