Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Starting poker site - business contract (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=488387)

Gimmicky 08-28-2007 04:05 PM

Starting poker site - business contract

I and my two associates (one of whom I know very well and can basically trust anything with, and another who I trust but don't know well enough to know how far to extend said trust) are in the process of moving from the poker affiliate market to establishing our own poker site.

We have financing, a business plan, and a good user base.

The thing is, none of us have any experience in writing professional business contracts...

Any tips on how to formulate the contract and what should be included in it to ensure maximum security for all parts involved would be greatly appreciated.

I realize that this might be a little vague, but I'd prefer not to divulge too much details about our enterprise at this point.

Thanks.

superadvisor 08-28-2007 04:07 PM

Re: Starting poker site - business contract

Are you asking if you should get a lawyer to write your contract?

PRE 08-28-2007 04:12 PM

Get a lawyer. You're going to try writing a contract based on the advice from people on an online forum?

Gimmicky 08-28-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you asking if you should get a lawyer to write your contract?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's indeed something we've been considering. Is this generally recommendable to avoid situations in the future where legally inaccurate wording may cause trouble?

B00T 08-28-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's indeed something we've been considering.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Taylor Caby 08-28-2007 04:29 PM

You'll need a lawyer and probably also someone with experience running a business. If you have even considered asking people on an investing forum for advice about contracts you should do some serious thinking about just how big of a project you are considering undertaking.

best,
tc

Gimmicky 08-28-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
Seeing as I'm Norwegian I might have lost something in the translation here, but care to explain your levity?

B00T 08-28-2007 04:35 PM

If you are unsure about needing a lawyer in a project of this magnitude you are destined to fail, and fail miserably and laughably hard.

AbreuTime 08-28-2007 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
Seeing as I'm Norwegian I might have lost something in the translation here, but care to explain your levity?

[/ QUOTE ]
In other words, not hiring a lawyer to make sure your business is set up correctly is a shortcut you should not be making. Hire a lawyer.

Gimmicky 08-28-2007 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll need a lawyer and probably also someone with experience running a business. If you have even considered asking people on an investing forum for advice about contracts you should do some serious thinking about just how big of a project you are considering undertaking.

best,
tc

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, that's actually exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. I'm pretty well educated, but I'm an IT-guy first and foremost, not a business guy, and similar holds true for my partners. Thanks.