Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Theory: Pot-sized Donkbets (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531855)

Acevader 10-26-2007 11:29 AM

Theory: Pot-sized Donkbets

What does a pot-sized or strong donkbet heads up in a Full Ring raised pot usually mean? Obviously multi-way it could very well be a strong hand but heads up there is less reason to believe so. I'm referring to NL$100-200 sort of level.

At 6 max a weak donkbet is as good as saying 'raise me' and a strong donkbet it usually a hand that feels vulnerable but would probably call one raise. I have no idea what full PSDB's are at FR (pot-sized-donk-bets).

Any thoughts or experience?

King Spew 10-26-2007 11:46 AM

Re: Theory: Pot-sized Donkbets

Thanks for the post.. I hope it generates good discussion.

I rarely donk bet so I'm really operating in the dark but my impression is that PS donk bets (OOP betting into the PFR on the flop) are from a made weak hand or a huge combo draw.

too eazy 10-26-2007 11:59 AM

King Spew is generally right. PSDB's are a very strong move against passive opponents though.

This is a good post I commend you acevader.

Acevader 10-26-2007 01:21 PM

I have wondered if they are perhaps combo-draws as well. The old bet-3-bet to generate maximum fold equity.

Johnes Benjamin 10-26-2007 01:42 PM

I would agree made weak hands and combo draws are often the case.
These give me trouble. I rarely have the balls to take them off a hand in this situation. I think they are rarely felting but its going to be so expensive and I'm going to have to really sell it.

alex-star 10-26-2007 01:43 PM

It is usually something - TPN/WK, a medium pair, a strong combo draw or something like that. It is almost never pure air.

crazymoose 10-26-2007 03:26 PM

I make big donkbets into the PFR with my sets/straights/flushes. Is this bad?

ranka 10-26-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make big donkbets into the PFR with my sets/straights/flushes. Is this bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

holdem2000 10-26-2007 04:42 PM

Probably bad against some opponents and good against others. Judging from this thread I'd say the #1 thing you do with this bet is confuse your opponent, which may help you get three streets of value from some marginal hands if you keep firing, but makes it less likely they raise you with their strong hands. Seems like a great plan vs. fish who were loose enough PF to be holding a wide range of marginal hands now, but I feel like you can generally get more value versus a lot of players with other lines.

HitmanHaydon 10-26-2007 05:00 PM

I pretty much agree with whats been said here but I think it's also very much player and flop texture dependent.

If I flop a set on a wet board, against a player who doesn't auto CB, I'm not giving him a chance at a free card.