Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Give up with a pair? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=57732)

cartman 03-10-2006 02:20 PM

Give up with a pair?

My opponent is 25/15/1.9 with a WTSD of around 35.

I am heads up in position postflop with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
He checks, I bet, he calls.

TURN: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He checks, <font color="blue">What is my line for the rest of the hand?</font>

I am interested in your answer for each of three preflop scenarios:

1) He limped UTG and I raised UTG+1.

2) He open-raised UTG+1 and I 3-bet in the CO.

3) I open-raised UTG+1 and he called in the BB.

Thanks,
Cartman

The Bryce 03-10-2006 02:57 PM

Re: Give up with a pair?

I'm giving up on the turn in all 3 scenarios. Make it a two tone flop and I'll probably bet again in 1 and 3.

Keystone 03-10-2006 03:10 PM

With this flop there are almost no draws that can be profitably calling and your opponent, who appears at least competent, has to be calling with at least a pair of jacks imo.
I think in scenario 2 it's possible hes peeling with a gutshot, the pot is bigger than in the other scenarios. He also raised preflop though, so it's more likely the flop hit his hand.
Do you think this particular opponent would fold a pair of jacks? If so, bet the turn and check the river.

Alobar 03-10-2006 04:08 PM

1 is pretty unrealistic, so im not answering it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2 and 3 both depend on what you plan on doing on the river if you check through the turn. If you are calling most rivers, I think you should be betting this turn. If you plan on just folding the river if he bets, then go ahead and give up on the turn.

I tend to bet the turn in both spots

I hope this thread gets lots of responses, cuz I think your question and setup is a good one.

johnnycakes 03-10-2006 04:12 PM

I tend to bet the turn and check the river. Fold to any aggression.

Don't know if that's right.

Turn play is where I most often feel lost.

Nate tha\\\' Great 03-10-2006 04:14 PM

I almost always bet the turn in these spots.

The chance that he has a gutshot is non-trivial. People love the broadway hands and so depending on his range that's up to 48 hand combos.

lil' 03-10-2006 05:00 PM

I often bet the turn, but I have to convince myself it's the right thing to do every time.

cartman 03-10-2006 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The chance that he has a gutshot is non-trivial. People love the broadway hands and so depending on his range that's up to 48 hand combos.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a damn compelling argument.

Surf 03-10-2006 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cartman 03-10-2006 06:06 PM

For those that advocate a turn bet, what if the flop were A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] instead with the same turn card?

Does that change your answer in any of the 3 cases?

Thanks,
Cartman