Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Unit to D'Backs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298519)

CharlieDontSurf 01-04-2007 07:16 PM

Re: Unit to D\'Backs

[ QUOTE ]
Nate wrote last week that RJ might be the best Yankee pitcher in 07. his peripherals were good last year, and he was probably unlucky.

one example from his analysis

"Johnson’s BABIP with the bases empty was .239. With runners on, it was .369. This is almost certainly a matter of luck."

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be...but he'll be hurt for most of the season

Besides...I'll take Clemens over Randy anyday.

Kneel B4 Zod 01-04-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
couldn't it mean he sucks at pitching from the stretch?

[/ QUOTE ]

it could, but a lot of data doesn't support this. I'm not sure if I should post this or not, but I think it's free content:

- Johnson struck out 20.6% of batters with the bases empty, and 19.8% with someone on base. Not much difference there.

- He yielded an unintentional walk to 7.1% of batters with the bases empty, and 9.9% with the bases occupied. That difference is a little more substantial, but it’s also a natural adaptation that a lot of veteran pitchers like Tom Glavine make: there’s more incentive to challenge a hitter when there’s nobody on base, leading to comparatively lower walk rates.

he did allow a lot of HR's with guys on base, but he was actually better at getting ground balls.

so, yeah it's possible that he sucks out of the stretch, but not much data supports this as much as the theory that he was just unlucky. web page

Triumph36 01-04-2007 07:20 PM

I was just looking at his more conventional numbers and couldn't figure out for the life of me how he had a 5 ERA last season - his numbers were almost identical to the previous year's.

Meh - I won't miss him.

Kneel B4 Zod 01-04-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nate wrote last week that RJ might be the best Yankee pitcher in 07. his peripherals were good last year, and he was probably unlucky.

one example from his analysis

"Johnson’s BABIP with the bases empty was .239. With runners on, it was .369. This is almost certainly a matter of luck."

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be...but he'll be hurt for most of the season

[/ QUOTE ]

his 2 years in NY he started 33 and 34 games, and threw 225 and 202 innings.

kyleb 01-04-2007 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent insight into the matter. The D-Backs are idiots for not signing Clemens, you're right.

CharlieDontSurf 01-04-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent insight into the matter. The D-Backs are idiots for not signing Clemens, you're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Yankees fan..don't care what the D-backs do.
We get some prospects, free up some cash to throw at Clemens for a 1 year deal...and lose another +40 year old pitcher...one coming off back surgery and who didn't seem very fond of NY or all that comes with it

metsandfinsfan 01-04-2007 07:44 PM

YEAH i hate to admit it but clemens to the skankees makes too much sense

kyleb 01-04-2007 07:53 PM

I am pretty sure that the question wasn't "Clemens or Johnson?"

If the Yankees had the chance to sign Clemens, they would. Immediately. Even if Johnson was on the payroll.

CharlieDontSurf 01-04-2007 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty sure that the question wasn't "Clemens or Johnson?"

If the Yankees had the chance to sign Clemens, they would. Immediately. Even if Johnson was on the payroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but having Johnson on the roster doesn't help the chance of signing Clemens.
Clemens no like Randy

DesertCat 01-04-2007 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just looking at his more conventional numbers and couldn't figure out for the life of me how he had a 5 ERA last season - his numbers were almost identical to the previous year's.

Meh - I won't miss him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those "conventional numbers" are almost worthless for measuring a pitchers true effectiveness. His 5 ERA was partially caused by pitching in front of an awful, awful, defense. As has been pointed out, he gave his all this year with a bad back, and also suffered from bad luck with the worst possible timing. Estimates have his 2007 ERA at around 3.80, and that's without factoring having his back fixed.

Randy won't miss having Jeter, ARod and Giambi manning infield positions around him, that's for sure.