Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Two BB defense hands (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=313160)

milesdyson 01-23-2007 03:32 PM

Two BB defense hands

1. 4-handed Stars 5/10.

Table line-up is me, two tags to my left, and big fish to my right. I am running pretty well here. Both tags are folding a lot to me preflop and I'm playing heads up hands with the fish who constantly check calls, check folds.

First tag folds, OTB tag raises (25/17/2, ATSB ~35%, plays fine and straightforward), fish folds, I defend J7o in the BB.

The flop is 744r and I decide I'm going to check call, check raise. The turn was a 2 and I did it.

I probably haven't done this once over the past 50k hands.

(,)(,) (,)(,) (,)(,) (,)(,) (,)(,) (,)(,) (,)(,) (,)(,) (,)(,)

2. 5-handed Stars 5/10. Same preflop action but now the stealer is 32/15/1.4 with an ATSB of 30%.

This time I have Q9o in the BB and I call his PFR.

Flop is J86r.

Standard check raise?

Oink 01-23-2007 03:37 PM

Re: Two BB defense hands

Hand 1)

Are you folding to a turn 3-bet? I am asking b/c I wouldnt know what to do if 3-bet on the turn, so I just c/r the flop and go from there.

Hand 2) Standard flop c/r IMO.

Heisenb3rg 01-23-2007 03:42 PM

1) Wheter to play this fast or slow depends entirely on the players post flop tendencies. How he percieves you, how you percieve him, previous hands etc. If i've been playing back constantly I'd c/r flop. If he's been pushing you around, I like your line. If he fires two barrels 100% of the time here, I like your line.

I would think about this situation in terms of information hiding. What would you do with your hands that miss this flop? Do you think playing back is pointless on this flop caues its such an obvious steal situation, and therefore like peeling? Then c/r turn.
Do you think buttons range is wide enough that you would c/r flop with a large % of your hands to try and resteal? Then c/r flop. Balance your strategy.

In a vacuum it probabily doesn't matter what you do as long as you c/r the flop or the turn. Against most TAGs I think slowplaying till turn is the way to go.

2) Standard flop c/r

Buckmulligan 01-23-2007 04:58 PM

I haven't done the math but I think the way you played hand one is best because villain bets the turn almost always for us - I'd say 90 - 95%. Out of curiosity, do you just check/call bet/call if an ace or king falls on that turn?

I think hand two is a really standard check raise versus this guy. If villain's the out-of-hand type and/or cannot find folds easily, I think it's an easier check call.

hizo 01-23-2007 05:46 PM

I like both hands. I don't wait for the turn too much in #1 because there's a lot of cards that would scare me on the turn (basically any Q,K,A... and who am I kidding any T or 9).

Sebastian Knight 01-23-2007 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Both tags are folding a lot to me preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to be in the minority here, but I would fold the first hand pre-flop. If the TAGs are folding a lot preflop, they're likely to have something when they get around to raising. Given that you called, I think your ck/c ck/r line is good. It's something you need to do maybe once a session against the right TAG just to keep your opponents in line. Doesn't much matter what cards you have. The 7742 board is a perfect time to try it.

On hands like the second hand, I generally prefer to raise preflop and donk the flop and usually give up if that doesn't bring rain.
SK

milesdyson 01-23-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Both tags are folding a lot to me preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to be in the minority here, but I would fold the first hand pre-flop. If the TAGs are folding a lot preflop, they're likely to have something when they get around to raising. Given that you called, I think your ck/c ck/r line is good. It's something you need to do maybe once a session against the right TAG just to keep your opponents in line. Doesn't much matter what cards you have. The 7742 board is a perfect time to try it.

[/ QUOTE ]
They were folding a lot to my steals is what I mean. I only mentioned it to say I was running well (getting respect maybe). Anyway I think this means I don't have to worry too much about being 3-bet by anything worse on the turn. Also the board was 7442 but no big deal.

[ QUOTE ]
On hands like the second hand, I generally prefer to raise preflop and donk the turn and usually give up if that doesn't bring rain.
SK

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you misread the action on this one.

Sebastian Knight 01-23-2007 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you misread the action on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I typed turn when I meant flop, and you were quicker than my edit.
SK

milesdyson 01-23-2007 06:23 PM

Reread the action. You want me to 3-bet Q9o preflop and then donk the flop?

Kwaz 01-23-2007 06:29 PM

Hand 1. On this board, the c/c, c/r line is standard for me.

Hand 2. What % of his reasonably tight steal range do you think folds to a flop c/r?