Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   why are we already choosing the nba all-star game? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=548077)

siihp_wrecked 11-17-2007 01:32 AM

why are we already choosing the nba all-star game?

yahoo has a story about yi jianlian being left off the nba all star ballot and people saying it's a snub to chinese fans (yao has been on every year). why in the world are they letting people choose their all stars after 8-9 games into the season? how can you even make decisions at a time like this? i guess it goes to show how much of it is the same players voted in every year simply on who they are and not how they produce. just because a player is hot or cold now that has no relation that they will continue that trend in at least 2 months when it turns to 2008. this makes absolutely no sense that they are choosing this early. can anyone explain this?

gehrig 11-17-2007 01:51 AM

Re: why are we already choosing the nba all-star game?

because all star berths are not first half MVP awards

Golden_Rhino 11-17-2007 01:56 AM

I have never understood why people take All Star Games so seriously.

IrishHand 11-17-2007 08:46 AM

Fan voting = popularity contest

Popularity doesn't change significantly over the first few months of a season - no reason not to start voting on day 1 and get big vote totals.

vixticator 11-17-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because all star berths are not first half MVP awards

[/ QUOTE ]

Vyse 11-17-2007 11:18 AM

Why are we choosing the All-Star game?

btmagnetw 11-17-2007 12:13 PM

on the side note about yi.. i would be a little embarrassed to see yi voted in just because of the chinese vote. i'm glad he wasn't put on.

BigSoonerFan 11-17-2007 12:19 PM

The NBA recognizes this is just a publicity thing and not actually awarding the players. They at least get one thing right....

Vyse 11-17-2007 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The NBA recognizes this is just a publicity thing and not actually awarding the players. They at least get one thing right....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, true.

IrishHand 11-17-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the side note about yi.. i would be a little embarrassed to see yi voted in just because of the chinese vote. i'm glad he wasn't put on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...the Chinese can/will vote any anyone they want if they're on the ballot. Yao will be the starting C in the West for the next 10 years unless a better Chinese C hits the Western Conference. There's nothing wrong with their voting power...but the NBA will probably want to go away from the "all votes are equal" to give a greater emphasis to in-stadium voting - at least if they want to diminish the overwhelming power of the Chinese online voters.