Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Buffy Season Two - maybe spoilers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=225561)

JuntMonkey 10-01-2006 04:46 PM

Buffy Season Two - maybe spoilers

Just finished watching this, and I'm in awe. The whole season was absolutely amazing. I watched season one and said "eh it's pretty decent" but season two just blows everything out of the water. I'm in serious danger of ranking this as my overall favorite season of any show, including Sopranos. Exclude Sopranos and comedies and it's a lock.

If you haven't seen this, see it. Rent season one and two.

Please don't spoil anything past season two or anything else Buffy-related in this thread, because I haven't seen them yet.

drexah 10-01-2006 06:25 PM

Re: Buffy Season Two - maybe spoilers

buffy over sopranos? please, get real...maybe if you're a 14 year old kid who masturbates to sarah michelle gellar, otherwise, just no.

Morrek 10-01-2006 06:41 PM

They just get better IMO. Best season is either 6 or 7(7 = last)

JuntMonkey 10-01-2006 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
buffy over sopranos? please, get real...maybe if you're a 14 year old kid who masturbates to sarah michelle gellar, otherwise, just no.

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly either haven't seen the show or are not very intelligent. I would have been in the same boat as you before I started watching it. Season one was okay, season two is a masterpiece. Trust me.

I'm not saying it's better than early Sopranos, but it reaches close to that level.

JuntMonkey 10-01-2006 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so. I've read some rankings and most people put 2 at the top. It is pretty hard to imagine it continuing to be this good, but I guess I'll see.

evil twin 10-01-2006 08:00 PM

Seasons 2 3 and 4 are all utterly classic. Season 5 is very good. Season 6 isn't the best but that's only when compared to what went before. It's made up for by the musical episode though which is pure genius. Season 7 is also good but not up to the earlier standard.

All MHO obviously. It took me a while to realise what I was missing as well. It's very easy to mistake this as a crappy teenie vampire show, but it's actually a lot more than that. There are deep characters and a lot of strong emotions, all the stuff that really draws you in and makes you care.

Morrek 10-01-2006 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It took me a while to realise what I was missing as well. It's very easy to mistake this as a crappy teenie vampire show, but it's actually a lot more than that. There are deep characters and a lot of strong emotions, all the stuff that really draws you in and makes you care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup

SamIAm 10-02-2006 01:22 PM

I was pretty routinely impressed by the dialague. That Joss Whedon guy knows his stuff. The "Firefly" show was very entertaining, too.
-Sam

P.S. I watched a couple episodes of Angel, and thought it wasn't so hot. Maybe it's because I jumped into the middle. I turned on the show when there was a demon and a ghost and a vampire and a witch and on and on and on. It just seemed arbitrarily silly.

Morrek 10-02-2006 04:03 PM

Yeah that was my first impression as well. Then I decided to watch the entire thing because a friend said it was a good show(he likes buffy too), and now I've seen every episode of Angel like twice, I like it quite a bit. It's maybe not as "deep" as Buffy can get but still pretty good.

evil twin 10-02-2006 07:01 PM

I thought Angel just took a while to get going. They went for a more adult darker feel and didn't get it right at first. Glenn Quinn didn't quite work for me.

However, once things got going with Wesley the demon hunter arriving (haha) and Cordy it really came good. IMO Wesleys transformation from bumbling English public schoolboy to rugged hero over the 4.5 seasons was the best character arc in any of Whedons work.

They also tried some really funny stuff, like the puppet episode. The 5th season episode "A Hole in the World" is up there as one of the most moving TV series episodes I've ever seen. I so wish we'd got another season to see where Whedon was going with Illyria.

Anyway, different tack to Buffy and more adult. When it was good it was just as good as the best Buffy IMO. Another series where it's a mistake to think "this is just more teenie vampire rubbish".

Morrek 10-03-2006 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, once things got going with Wesley the demon hunter arriving (haha) and Cordy it really came good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] cordy (hence my avatar). I didn't like her that much in Buffy (and also first seasonish of Angel) but after that she became quite a character.

Also I didn't really like the puppet episode but I guess some would find it funny [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit:

"The 5th season episode "A Hole in the World" is up there as one of the most moving TV series episodes I've ever seen."

I don't remember which season or anything but I remember atleast a couple episodes of Buffy that were very emotional. I don't wanna spoil too much about them in here though. "A hole in the world" was definitely up there too, yes

evil twin 10-03-2006 11:10 AM

Mmm yeah nice avatar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Obviously we weren't meant to like her much in Buffy but I did like her overall arc.

I know what you mean about the puppet episode, it wasn't one of the best, but overall I really liked that they took big chances with episodes and went for something really different. As they did with Buffy really, but they seemed to go really leftfield more often in Angel and I always appreciated the effort even if it didn't quite work.

You're right about some severely moving episodes of Buffy as well, there were plenty. Obviously "The Body" from season 5 is a real standout. Say no more obviously to avoid the spoilers.

I listened to the commentary for "A Hole in the World" and the cast and crew were all emotional wrecks during and after one day of filming, they all found it incredibly hard. Great stuff, come back to TV Joss! Serenity was good but not great and I have my doubts about Wonder Woman as a classic movie.

BigPoppa 10-03-2006 03:23 PM

Season 3 is even better, but it's all downhill from there (later years have some great individual episodes, but the overall story arcs aren't as engaging).

Seasons 2 & 3 of Buffy are probably the best two back to back seasons by any TV show.

Soulman 10-07-2006 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Season 3 is even better, but it's all downhill from there (later years have some great individual episodes, but the overall story arcs aren't as engaging).

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree that season 3 is the best, I think that "all downhill" is a bit too strong. Season 5 e.g. is very good, just a lot darker than any of the previous seasons.

Also, I think Angel is just as good a show if you watch it all...apart from season 4, not a big fan (due to various reasons, won't spoil here).

charlie_t_jr 10-09-2006 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly either haven't seen the show or are not very intelligent. I would have been in the same boat as you before I started watching it. Season one was okay, season two is a masterpiece. Trust me.

I'm not saying it's better than early Sopranos, but it reaches close to that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a 39 year old guy who loves the Sopranos, the Buffy series is more consistent from beginning to end. There's a lot to love about Buffy the character and the show for all ages.

OP, seasons 2 and 3 I suppose would be the "classic" Buffy, but the show never "goes down hill". You might want to check out this site: http://atpobtvs.com/ WARNING, be careful to stick to the shows you've already seen and be careful of the clicking on links or you may inadvertenly come by a spoiler. As for Angel, whether you like it or not, you'll want to watch it just to see how some of the Buffy characters end up....Man I feel gay...Tony Soprano and John McClane Rock!

citanul 10-09-2006 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, season 7 is awful.

i've been thinking about trying to figure out my favorite season of any show i've watched, and i think that buffy 2 is probably #1.

c

PWHerman 10-09-2006 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree that season 3 is the best, I think that "all downhill" is a bit too strong. Season 5 e.g. is very good, just a lot darker than any of the previous seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I hated season 5 when it was first on, but now it's my favorite season (even though the actress who plays "Glory" is AWFUL). The last episode of the season is easily one of the best episodes they ever did.

The show completely changed in seasons 5-7 by getting darker and more serious. I think that if most people who hated these seasons initially gave them another shot, they might change their minds.

My wife and I own all seven seasons on dvd. Man, I am a huge Super-dork.

JuntMonkey 10-09-2006 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, season 7 is awful.

i've been thinking about trying to figure out my favorite season of any show i've watched, and i think that buffy 2 is probably #1.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. That's the reason I made the thread, I was totally blown away. I really might have to put it above Sopranos S1/S2.

Soulman 10-10-2006 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, so do I/my gf. But do you own the collector's limited edition set?

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3834/buffysetfm6.jpg

I almost cried for joy when I got it for Christmas. Haha, how's that for giant dorkiness [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

PWHerman 10-10-2006 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, so do I/my gf. But do you own the collector's limited edition set?

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3834/buffysetfm6.jpg

I almost cried for joy when I got it for Christmas. Haha, how's that for giant dorkiness [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

COLLECTOR'S LIMITED EDITION? You son of a ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

vnh, sir.

Coffee 10-12-2006 03:03 PM

This season is fantastic, and I have, on several different occasions, rated the season finale as one of the best television shows I have ever seen. In terms of emotionally moving episodes, this ranks alongside "Posse Commitatus" on West Wing, "The Healers" or "Love's Labor Lost" on ER, or "Hole in the World" on Angel, or any of the series finales of long-running shows.

Gar Pike 10-12-2006 03:14 PM

Joss Whedon, you say?

I've never watched Buffy, but now I have to. I'm a huge fan of Firefly, went and saw Serenity (and was really PO'ed when they killed....one of the characters).

I wonder if the studio killed Firefly so he could work on Buffy?

Regards

Gar

Emmitt2222 10-13-2006 03:30 AM

OP,

You are in for a treat in season 3. I think it is a close call as to which is better, 2 or 3, but for sure 3 has one of the best villians that I think have ever been created. I wish I could go more in depth, but that would spoil it.

JuntMonkey 10-13-2006 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

You are in for a treat in season 3. I think it is a close call as to which is better, 2 or 3, but for sure 3 has one of the best villians that I think have ever been created. I wish I could go more in depth, but that would spoil it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some mild spoilers ahead...

If you mean the guy who's last name begins with a T...I'm not that impressed so far, but I'm only 5 episodes in. He was cool at first but hasn't delivered yet.

I am obsessed with Spike - no spoilers for further in the series please. I rented season 2 disc 1 again just so I could re-watch his entrance. Him and Buffy's mom sitting awkwardly in the living room in the S2 finale was brilliant.

JuntMonkey 11-05-2006 08:30 PM

Done with season 3 now, awesome but not quite as good as 2. And yea, amazing villain, especially when he gives the speech about Buffy and Angel.

For people who watched both Buffy and Angel: how should I handle watching them on DVD? Are the crossovers significant enough that I should watch them side by side, or can I just go all the way through Buffy and then all the way through Angel? Would it be entirely ridiculous to look up episode air dates and watch them in that order?

evil twin 11-06-2006 11:15 AM

Personally I would just continue on with Buffy until the end of season 7 then start watching Angel. It's nice to watch them all back to back and not have to keep track of the various crossover stories, the details of which are made pretty obvious in any one of the shows.

If you want to try the somewhat difficult feat of watching the epsiodes in the correct chronological order then this thread on Google answers will probably help.
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=211562

skunkworks 11-06-2006 03:33 PM

Buffy Season 2 is quite possibly my favorite season of any TV show. Lost Season 1 comes closest.

Soulman 11-10-2006 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For people who watched both Buffy and Angel: how should I handle watching them on DVD? Are the crossovers significant enough that I should watch them side by side, or can I just go all the way through Buffy and then all the way through Angel? Would it be entirely ridiculous to look up episode air dates and watch them in that order?

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree with the other poster. Watch season 4 of Buffy in parallell with season 1 of Angel, and continue in this fashion. The cross-overs are significant enough at first that it's worth it. For season 6+7 of Buffy and 3+4 of Angel, it's no longer as important to watch in parallell. This is due to the fact that they were shown at different networks, which made cross-overs harder.

JuntMonkey 11-10-2006 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree with the other poster. Watch season 4 of Buffy in parallell with season 1 of Angel, and continue in this fashion. The cross-overs are significant enough at first that it's worth it. For season 6+7 of Buffy and 3+4 of Angel, it's no longer as important to watch in parallell. This is due to the fact that they were shown at different networks, which made cross-overs harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright...I'm already 7 episodes in to Buffy S4 so I'll have to try to slow down. They are coming out with new "slim sets" of Angel at the end of the month, so unfortunately I have to wait until then to buy them as they're smaller, sleeker, and cheaper.

Enrique 04-22-2007 12:21 PM

This past two weeks I have been in Buffy watching mode.
I didn't see Season 1 completely, saw only four episodes.
I saw Season 2 completely and I thought it was excellent (except for a few episodes, i.e, "Ted" and the one with the eggs).
Both double episodes are terrific. Angel turning into a bad person made for some really impressive scenes. And the season finale with Spike helping Buffy was astounding as well.

The Buffy-Angel relationship is pretty fun to watch, because of the uncertainty of Angel being good. I also enjoy Xander-Cordelia a lot and Willow is a pretty cool character (the 'Hermione' of Buffy).

I am three episodes away from finishing season 3 (which will be seen today).
I was sad that Xander-Cordelia split up. At first I was mad at Xander with him being mean at everyone, but from episode "Zeppo" on he has been funny and nice again.
The development of Willow's witch powers has been cool.

The arrival of Faith and the Mayor has been received with great enthusiasm. I love the Mayor, he is one of the coolest villains I've seen. Faith is a nice character too, specially because she's very sexy.

The lone season 3 episode with Spike was wonderful. You gotta love Spike.
I also loved the episode "Amends", a big Buffy-Angel episode.
The episode "Enemies" was another fun one (where we "Faith" turns bad for good).

From season 2, an episode I enjoyed a lot that wasn't arc inducing, was the one in Halloween. I thought the idea of people turning into their costumes was pretty neat.

Buffy rules!!!

Shadowrun 04-22-2007 07:36 PM

Watched the series a ton- never that big of a fan.

Spike is an amazing character, didnt like the addition of buffy's sister went downhill for me after that.

Enrique 04-22-2007 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you not be a big fan and yet watch it a ton?

Shadowrun 04-22-2007 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you not be a big fan and yet watch it a ton? [/quote

big family + few tvs

VoraciousReader 04-22-2007 10:19 PM

Best Episode: Hush

The seasons got better and better, I thought...until Season 7. Some of 7 I loved, a lot I didn't. I want to rewatch it though as a piece and see how I feel.

JuntMonkey 04-22-2007 11:18 PM

I'm now about 3/4th through season 5. Season 3 was again unbelievably great, and it's close between 3 and 2 for overall best. I liked 4 a lot even though the season villain was very weak - Spike made me laugh out loud (while watching alone) enough times to help carry it.

Now I haven't seen an episode in about a month and have lost a lot of interest. There's been a noticeable and precipitous drop in quality in season 5. Luckily it seems that the Buffyverse ends on a high note, as Angel seasons 3-5 are supposed to be incredible. I am on Angel season 2 (watching in tandem with Buffy season 5 for the occasional cross-over).

IMO a large part of season 5's quality drop is (spoiler) <font color="white">the fact that Spike is in love with Buffy and has lost almost all of his edge and humor in the process. Note: Please don't say anything else about their budding romance without giving a spoiler warning, as I'm not finished with the season yet. </font>

As for spoilers in general, please mark it if you're saying anything major past season 2, as that's already in the thread title. Several of the recent posts had pretty large spoilers in them for subsequent seasons.

Enrique 04-22-2007 11:37 PM

Sorry about the spoilers.
I am watching Angel season 1 and Buffy season 4 now.
I didn't like the first two episodes of Buffy. I don't really like Buffy/ Angel splitting up, I think it was mostly done to have an extra show and not really because the characters needed it.

The third episode in season 4 was pretty good, probably due to Spike being in it.
Angel has been good but not great so far. Although episode 3 was pretty good (probably due to Spike too).

My problem with Angel is that the sunlight things don't seem to make sense. Sometimes he stands next to windows in daylight and nothing happens, also, there's a fight in the beach where light is everywhere, yet he survives fighting. I have a big problem with it, the claim is that to be hurt the sunlight needs to be direct, yet when they are torturing him, they put bullets through a roof to get sunlight in, that sunlight is certainly less direct than the one in the beach, why is the one in the beach safe?
Argh!

DeuceKicker 04-25-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best Episode: Hush

[/ QUOTE ]Bingo... or maybe it's a tie between Hush and Passion from season two.

Passion left me stunned because of the plot developments (spoiler in white)<font color="white">and because I had developed a mad crush on Ms Calendar </font>

Hush was innovative and amazingly well done. It felt like sacrilege to speak during the episode--until I laughed out loud at Buffy's unfortunate knifing pantomime.

JuntMonkey 04-25-2007 08:15 PM

I had heard all the hype about Hush and wasn't that thrilled with it when I saw it. The enemies were cool though.

The episode that stands out most for me is Superstar in season 4. Spoilers in white. <font color="white"> The episode where Jonathan, a minor nerdy character who we hadn't seen since season 3, is suddenly the coolest and most famous person on earth, and is a better fighter than Buffy. The best is that they changed the opening credits as if he were one of the stars. For the first 10 minutes you're in shock and then you start to pick up on what's going on.</font>

Enrique 05-04-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had heard all the hype about Hush and wasn't that thrilled with it when I saw it. The enemies were cool though.

The episode that stands out most for me is Superstar in season 4. Spoilers in white. <font color="white"> The episode where Jonathan, a minor nerdy character who we hadn't seen since season 3, is suddenly the coolest and most famous person on earth, and is a better fighter than Buffy. The best is that they changed the opening credits as if he were one of the stars. For the first 10 minutes you're in shock and then you start to pick up on what's going on.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Hush was very good, but it is not in my top 5 Buffy episodes. Superstar was great too.

Enrique 05-04-2007 04:40 PM

-Just finished watching Buffy Season 4. The season's arch was ridiculous. Very dumb. Everybody around me hates Riley (Buffy's boyfriend), but for some reason I like the character a lot, lately my conversations around the office involve a discussion about why I like the character everyone hates.

-The last episode of Buffy Season 4 called &lt;b&gt;Restless&lt;/b&gt; is by far the best episode of Season 4 (yes, above the acclaimed &lt;b&gt;Hush&lt;/b&gt;). The episode is wonderful, it is my favorite Buffy episode so far (surprising considering Angel is not in it) and it ranks as one of my top 5 favorite episodes of TV. I can't state hard enough how good an episode it is. I even watched the commentary for it, Joss Whedon's commentary was fun to listen to.