Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   River value spot (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=555419)

cts 11-27-2007 06:35 AM

River value spot

I asked a few people what they'd do here and got a different response from each one, what do you think?

25/50HU on UB (keep in mind it's a site with a pot button that people definitely overuse). My opponent is bad. He calls too much, chooses poor (small) bet sizes, doesn't make big bluffs, etc. That said he's not like totally braindead or anything, he's just not good. I haven't been caught doing anything too horrible but I have been reraising him nonstop.

He opens to $150 and I reraise to $600 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6000 stacks or so). I have reraised the past three consecutive hands I've had in the big blind and he's folded each time. This time he calls real quick

Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot $1200)

My image is just so dumb and with the speed he called pre I think he's going to try to win the pot so I just check and give up. He checks behind.

Turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot $1200)

I checked again, he bet $600, and I called.

River 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](Pot $2400)

like $4500 behind

Butcho22 11-27-2007 06:41 AM

Re: River value spot

Bet something lame like $999 and hope he gets tricky

yaaam1484 11-27-2007 06:54 AM

really depends on the dynamics of the match.. it's either all in or c/r imo.. i'd go for all in

edit: changed my mind.. bet 1800 against this villain, he's not calling all in too often and will probably raise a better straight or a flush

stigmata 11-27-2007 08:28 AM

Personally I would just valuetown, river goes check-check waaaay to often against this villain, and hoping he will raise a blockbet is somewhat optimistic.

But then again, wtf do I know, you are cts lol.

The counter argument would be that if you firmly trust your read that "I think he's going to try to win the pot", then checking and letting him make a big stab at it could be good. However, despite the fact that his initial intentions were possibly to take the pot away from you, I just think he is now going to be happy with half the pot for zero risk, and check it back.

sauce123 11-27-2007 09:02 AM

trying to get this player to bluff seems pointless- making it look like you may be bluffing seems like the way to go

as in i think he will call 2/3 pot for a split 90% and everything else is just cross ur fingers and hope he filled.

TheWorstPlayer 11-27-2007 09:10 AM

i would check. there aren't many hands with a 9 that you would reraise preflop but not bet on the flop, and would then c/c on the turn. So he has to put you on the flush or on playing the board. If you bet, maybe he calls to chop, but if you check maybe he just shoves it in or bets and convinces himself to call a shove for the chop. Or maybe he even has a 9 himself. I think it's better to go for the homerun and try to stack him than just hoping he pays off half pot or whatever.

fees 11-27-2007 09:25 AM

I would bet and hope he raises, he will raise all flushes/9's and might even bluff raise. Since hes so bad I'm not sure if he does anything like try to fold out a split and he'll be checking it back a lot so we're going to lose value from him calling to chop etc. b/3bai

jkkkk 11-27-2007 09:51 AM

$2401

ahnuld 11-27-2007 10:01 AM

from the description this guy sounds weak and passive. Hell check behind unless he has a 9. Lead

sauce123 11-27-2007 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would check. there aren't many hands with a 9 that you would reraise preflop but not bet on the flop, and would then c/c on the turn. So he has to put you on the flush or on playing the board. If you bet, maybe he calls to chop, but if you check maybe he just shoves it in or bets and convinces himself to call a shove for the chop. Or maybe he even has a 9 himself. I think it's better to go for the homerun and try to stack him than just hoping he pays off half pot or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one level too many

xorbie 11-27-2007 10:11 AM

this guy is definitely not going to be bluffraising a lot here at all, makes no sense given description to play a hand hoping for that, and makes even less sense to bet small to try to induce a raise on this board, because to him a small bet is just a good way to see a cheap showdown in a spot where he probably is playing the board and would love a cheap showdown.

i lke either a large bet ($2k or so), a shove or crai.

g0lfa 11-27-2007 10:31 AM

Pot it and get called by AJo

Stinger88 11-27-2007 10:47 AM

since it's UB and he seems passive I'd lead pot

literofcola 11-27-2007 11:06 AM

if the river goes check/check here it's going to make this guy play even more faceup for the rest of the match than he already does which seems like a good side benefit. that being said betting pot seems way better in a vacuum. you'll find a much better spot for a strong check i think.

SeriAce 11-27-2007 11:13 AM

bet 1700

AcTiOnJaCsOn 11-27-2007 11:23 AM

all in

Taylor Caby 11-27-2007 11:24 AM

5/6 pot or pot. against an aggro UB player you have to C/R AI here, imo.

tc

g-p 11-27-2007 11:41 AM

seems like great spot to just mash pot

rand 11-27-2007 12:23 PM

yeah i think i bet pretty big trying to make it look like i want him to fold out of the chop, like 2150 or something

this guy sounds like he checks the river behind way too often to go for the CR here, but like tc said-if he were aggro id deff CR it

EC10 11-27-2007 12:27 PM

i prefer betting turn to c/c, anyone disagree?

river bet any amount over 1800 including pot if a river pot bet isnt unusual for you

AcTiOnJaCsOn 11-27-2007 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

river bet any amount over 1800 including pot if a river pot bet isnt unusual for you

[/ QUOTE ] i agree with this, betting s better than c/c imo.

Ship Ship McGipp 11-27-2007 12:59 PM

bet turn shove river as pla yed bet 1525

Eagles 11-27-2007 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fslexcduck 11-27-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

todd1007 11-27-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet something lame like $999 and hope he gets tricky

[/ QUOTE ]

funny... OP already has said that V does not bluff.

hard to say how much value is there... what would he really check on the flop? definately not an overpair. so, he could have overs, a set, or an underpair. his turn bet is weak for your stack sizes, i dont think he has much here unless, he has Kx of spades. with the straight on the board, there is more value there as any bet by you has the potential of you attempt to get him off a push. but really, as you describe V, 1k seems max, unless he also has flush.

todd1007 11-27-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from the description this guy sounds weak and passive. Hell check behind unless he has a 9. Lead

[/ QUOTE ]

DLizzle 11-27-2007 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

villain doesn't seem like this type of player. personally i'd just bet 3/4 pot.

bigt439 11-27-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with this and was going to write the same thing about the turn...

van_exel_fan 11-27-2007 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot it and get called by AJo

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding

Ansky 11-27-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

MTBlue 11-27-2007 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

+2

innerpeace 11-27-2007 03:35 PM

i abuse the pot button. given the villain you describe and momentum of the match, you will likely get called by a wide range of hands. if you check or make a small bluff-inducing bet, the range of hands that villain bites with is narrow, making this line is less profitable than leading. also, leading a different amount than pot might set of alarm bells, whereas betting pot makes it look like you are making a play at an otherwise chopped pot. while leading seems to be the best course of action, the amount is, of course, situational, and depends on the ebb and flow of the match.

Inyaface 11-27-2007 03:42 PM

I agree with bet turn.
River either 999 or full pot. I think it's close between the two.

SlowHabit 11-27-2007 03:57 PM

Overbet plzzz.

ggbman 11-27-2007 04:08 PM

I like betting 1500...

fsuplayer 11-27-2007 04:13 PM

im not betting this turn either.

FoxwoodsFiend 11-27-2007 04:28 PM

i would c/minraise. very rarely do i see the guy in position not bet this board to try pushing you off a chop. once you minraise he'll realize he's cooked but make an awful crying call hoping to chop whereas if you shoved you aren't guaranteed a call.

AAismyfriend 11-27-2007 04:55 PM

I LIKE POT

wrschultz 11-27-2007 04:59 PM

"(keep in mind it's a site with a pot button that people definitely overuse)"

With this in mind, it seems like pot is the best bet.

literofcola 11-27-2007 05:01 PM

this guy bets small amounts frequently 1/3-1/2 pot. min raising is going to get folded sometimes and it would be way easier to just get him calling as big a lead as the min raise would be for if he even stabs.