Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Which size of table to play? (STT) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558936)

Nullvoid 12-01-2007 08:58 PM

Which size of table to play? (STT)

Hey guys, this is a question that has been bugging me for a while now.

I'm currently playing with a very small bankroll (~$30 on Pokerstars) and the buy-ins that seem most appealing to me right now are the $1.5+0.25 turbos and $1+0.2 regulars. I've mostly been playing the turbos (which are 18-seater), but for the $1.2 games there are three sizes of table available: 9, 18 & 45.

Now I know just comparing the number of money spots with the number of players entering can give me a rough idea which is better to play, such as below:

3/9 = 33.3%
4/18 = 22.2%
7/45 = 15.6%

Indicates to me that the 9-seater should result in me hitting the money more often...but...I'm not mathematically-minded enough to translate the different winnings you can make for each position into a more solid idea of which STT is better. Just to explain a bit more.

Is a 33.3% chance of getting $4.5, $2.7 or $1.8 better than a 22.2% chance of getting $7.2, $5.4, $3.6 or $1.8 or lastly a 15.6% chance of getting $14, $10, $7, $5, $4, $3 or $2?

Hopefully it's clear what I'm asking...

I did have one other question just as an aside. The logical next step seems to be a combination of the $3+0.25 & $3+0.4 tables, but I wonder what would be a safe bankroll to have before I move up to them? Assuming I do manage to play winning poker of course. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance!

Jlivefat32 12-01-2007 11:02 PM

Re: Which size of table to play? (STT)

I'm sure there's other people here more qualified to answer this but I'll give it a shot.

I don't think there's any straightforward answer as to which is "better". But personally I like 9 handed SnGs because they reduce variance, IE. you'll cash more often and thus there's less chance you'll go on a losing streak so bad you have to refill your account (although it's still possible ofcourse). In the long run you're winnings will probably be about the same with any of those options mentioned.

metsfan88 12-02-2007 04:59 AM

Re: Which size of table to play? (STT)

This really just based on opinion but I think the 1.20 18 man sngs are probably the easiest to beat. Playing tight ABC poker will easily get you into the money, and once the bubble is burst the short stack is usually out within 10 hands so you auto bump to 3rd most times. I have never played the 9 man sng's just cause first place is only $4.50. Its up to you though mainly to figure out where you can make the most money. If you get good at the 18 mans, try some 45s cause with a bankroll of around $30 a win in that will greatly increase your roll.