Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Prop bet - 5 minute mile (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520380)

HedonismBot 10-11-2007 12:03 AM

Prop bet - 5 minute mile

I'm coming up with some sort of prop bet with my room mate on me being able to run a 5 minute mile by mid may (7 months). I'm a lean guy (6'0 160 pounds) and have been athletic in the past (playing hockey) but for the past 2 years have been out of shape. I've never ran more than a few miles and that was a slow pace. I ran a mile a couple times earlier this week at about 9 minutes each without really trying too hard, I bet I could run about 7:45 if I gave it my all.

How hard will it be for me to do this? I am sure that it's possible but don't know how to go about getting started. Also we're at 6000 feet if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice or links for how to train [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
I'm gonna go run now and will let you know my time

Green Kool Aid 10-11-2007 12:18 AM

Re: Prop bet - 5 minute mile

Also we're at 6000 feet if that makes a difference.

huge

Thremp 10-11-2007 12:32 AM

Its gonna be hard. Like pretty effing hard.

Rootabager 10-11-2007 12:50 AM

I bet you can do it if you really start running alot. 5 minutes is fast but not super fast.

Thremp 10-11-2007 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet you can do it if you really start running alot. 5 minutes is fast but not super fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pretty [censored] fast.

You're translating this to around a 17 min 5k or so...? This is cooking.

vulturesrow 10-11-2007 01:24 AM

5 minutes, as Thremp said, is effing hard. And doing it at 6k...I think its a sucker bet personally. Keep in mind the mens world record in the mile is 3:43.13 (yes I googled it). So you are looking to be only a minute and 15 seconds slower than the world record holder.

HedonismBot 10-11-2007 02:20 AM

OK so just ran a mile in 8 minutes flat giving maybe 95% effort. I know this is gonna be hard but given 7 months how hard would you say it will be? Like, work your [censored] ass off maybe you can do it, or, get on a good regimen and you should be able to pull it off?

Jon1000 10-11-2007 02:25 AM

get this to 530 and i think it's pretty doable. i started running just about everyday within the last two months by first hopping on my sister's treadmill while watching tv. I did this instead of running outside cuz i was pretty self conscious about running in public after smoking and doing absolutely nothing for like 3.5 years. After about 2 weeks of running on the treadmill i could run a flat 2 miles anywhere between 14-16 minutes. it took another 2-3 weeks and I could pop out two at 6 minutes each. This is as fast as the treadmill goes, and I have since begun running outside. I don't time myself anymore, but I think if you are willing to run 3-4 times a week and push yourself, you can get to 5:30 well before 7 months rolls around. maybe this is an instance where I completely misjudged the majority though.

just saw the elevation. FWIW i'm at sea level

edit: forgot to mention. When i was in my best running shape, running just about everyday for high school sports, I could run a timed two miles anywhere between 11-1145 (we were tested three times during each season for 2 miles and 40 times and shuttle runs/suicides). I never ran a timed mile except on a treadmill, but for me, the difference between a 6:30 miles and 5 mile is HUGE, but I never trained specifically to do one. I think this a hard bet, but doable if you take it really seriously.

StaticShock 10-11-2007 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its gonna be hard. Like pretty effing hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar 10-11-2007 04:27 AM

you will lose this bet