Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Kindle: Amazon's new wireless reading device (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549792)

kkcountry 11-19-2007 06:25 PM

Re: Kindle: Amazon\'s new wireless reading device

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$.99 per blog subscription/month

gg

[/ QUOTE ]

i would pay that to read baseball prospectus on it

[/ QUOTE ]

you can read BP for free (assuming you subscribe) on a smartphone/iphone

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i know, but what i'm saying is that an extra 99 cents a month isn't really all that much for a service that provides a much content as bp does.

i'm in the same boat as yeti, i think it's awesome but i don't see myself buying it at $400.

george w 11-19-2007 06:27 PM

i wonder how much effort it takes to ocr rip a book to a word file.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-19-2007 06:30 PM

their selection mirrors that of a drug store. they have all the best sellers and then they have a bunch of garbage books that no one would ever buy or read - except old people i guess.

Kneel B4 Zod 11-19-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$.99 per blog subscription/month

gg

[/ QUOTE ]

i would pay that to read baseball prospectus on it

[/ QUOTE ]

you can read BP for free (assuming you subscribe) on a smartphone/iphone

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i know, but what i'm saying is that an extra 99 cents a month isn't really all that much for a service that provides a much content as bp does.

i'm in the same boat as yeti, i think it's awesome but i don't see myself buying it at $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I mean, with everything I subscribe to, it would end up costing me $35 - $40 a month. (if 1 RSS feed = Blog)

seems like a lot to have another place to read blogs/download books. that is basically the cost of a data plan on an iphone, and the hardware of an iphone is cheaper too.

(or an HTC phone, or whatever)

WhoIam 11-20-2007 01:55 AM

I have a pretty solid collection of reading material in Word and .pdf format. Would I be able to read these? Also, why is the amount of memory so small? 200 books is nothing.

SamIAm 11-20-2007 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. This will flop horribly in the consumer market, and may be good for academics. People don't consume music like they do books.

[ QUOTE ]

Ron Burgundy: I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.
Veronica Corningstone: Really.
Ron Burgundy: People know me.
Veronica Corningstone: Well, I'm very happy for you.
Ron Burgundy: I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

[/ QUOTE ]

That example demonstrates a little of the difference between listening to music from any device and the reason and way we read books.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I can attest to is that people who love books love books - meaning they actually love the physical book, not just the text.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a fondness for mushed-up trees, too, but my kids won't. Certainly not my grandkids. There are just WAY too many advantages to treating books like 1s & 0s, instead of a physical commodity.

At one point, books were ALL HAND-WRITTEN. Each one required loving attention from a real human being, so I'm sure that new-fangled "printing press" felt cold and gimmicky. It seems to have done ok, though.

I don't think the Amazon Kindle v1.0 is going to revolutionize much. But there's pretty little question in my mind about whether ebooks will take-off eventually.

SamIAm 11-20-2007 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pretty solid collection of reading material in Word and .pdf format. Would I be able to read these?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet not. If so, this thing would be MUCH better. I have a a lot of pdfs, too.

KneeCo 11-20-2007 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a pretty solid collection of reading material in Word and .pdf format. Would I be able to read these?

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet not. If so, this thing would be MUCH better. I have a a lot of pdfs, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the website says Word files can be converted and email to your device "at a minimal cost", didn't mention pdfs specifically.

KneeCo 11-20-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I can attest to is that people who love books love books - meaning they actually love the physical book, not just the text.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't long ago that you could say people love albums, not just the music but the physical disc/tape/record and, especially, the cover art.
This is still true to a certain extent, but it didn't stop ipods and itunes explosions.

Devices like these are the (not immediate but eventual) future of publishing, and the romance of a loaded book shelf wont stop them.

Jack of Arcades 11-20-2007 03:11 AM

I think the hard drive is small to increase battery life and keep the weight down. That you can leave it on so long is a plus.

Also, I like the fact that you don't need to sync it, but you can anyway.