Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   SMP Outdoorsmen Poll (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=522191)

blufish 10-13-2007 03:19 PM

SMP Outdoorsmen Poll

Nielsio 10-13-2007 03:28 PM

Re: SMP Outdoorsmen Poll

'the outdoors', how vague can you possibly get..

blufish 10-13-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'the outdoors', how vague can you possibly get..

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure what is so vague:

outdoors - activities outside as in "backcountry or on the water" - hiking, camping, boating, fishing, hunting, bird watching, rock climbing, mountain climbing, canoeing, river rafting, canyoneering, outdoor photography, visiting national and state parks, etc.

indoors - not those above - activities that happen indoors as opposed to outdoors.

hitch1978 10-13-2007 03:56 PM

I'm a builder so I spend 70 hrs/week working outdoors, does that count?

Sephus 10-13-2007 04:05 PM

i fly fish 25 days a year or so.

blufish 10-13-2007 04:17 PM

My first poll sucked. See the revision. It may drill down to what I'm getting at. Maybe not.

Nielsio 10-13-2007 04:44 PM

Seriously, what is the point of this? This is one of the weirdest correlations I've ever heard of a theist.

blufish 10-13-2007 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, what is the point of this? This is one of the weirdest correlations I've ever heard of a theist.

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't be valid anyway. The double poll is skewed. I have a couple of votes in the first I don't have in the second. The revision should have been the original question. The sample size is too small too.

But, we'll see what happens. If I state my thoughts, it would slant the results.

Siegmund 10-13-2007 06:39 PM

You have, if I may say so, a very citified definition of outdoorsman. Any of those activities, once a month?

As someone who goes for long walks in the woods on a weekly basis, and goes on several weekend camping trips every summer.. I feel my own claim to "outdoorsman" is pretty shabby. I pale in comparison to the people who go to two-week-long hunting trips in the middle of nowhere every summer, or who head for the hills Friday afternoon every weekend all summer, or who live in cabins outside town and chop their own firewood all winter.

I would prefer to see your "once a month or more" category split about three ways, and perhaps the quarter/year choices combined.

I speculate you will find a mild correlation between outdoor activity and theism. I don't think this implies causation - but rather, that the more academic/intellectual types, who are drawn more to atheism, will also be more occupied with cards, computer games, reading, attending conferences, and whatnot, and have less time for the outdoors.

surftheiop 10-13-2007 07:08 PM

Im not an atheist but i do rock climbing several times a month. Hope to start ice climbing this winter as well