Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A3s, okay play? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=17865)

dun_noo 01-22-2006 01:37 PM

A3s, okay play?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (7.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB.

Was my play alright?

Just sat down.

RyanC 01-22-2006 01:41 PM

Re: A3s, okay play?

Im not thinkig your draws are strong enough for a free card play. You have a backdoor fd and have to spike a 4. But it worked , good job.

dun_noo 01-22-2006 01:44 PM

That's what I was thinking too, which is why I posted it. I have 4 outs for the near nut straight, 1.5 for the BDFD, and maybe 1.5 for the ace out? I think it's likely he has an overpair here.

Would you say that 7 outs in this rather large pot is enough for a free-card play or not?

dwedeking 01-22-2006 01:45 PM

I don't think A3s is that good of a hand. I usually just limp in with them (their main strength is flopping a flush draw, with limited strength pairing the aces due to the bad kicker).

I fold the flop. BB 3-bet the pre-flop and comes out of the gate betting (without reads this screams "a hand"). You only beat a bluff on the flop and risk getting 3 bet into with the raise.

Edit: Didn't see the straight draw. I'd just call with this though.

Geng 01-22-2006 01:46 PM

You have an over card, and a gutshot on the flop pickup the nut flush draw on the turn. I'd bet the turn, you have 3 outs for the A, 3 for the 4's and 9 for the flush. I might discount the A in case you're up against AQ sience it was 3-bet preflop but with him just calling on the flop. If he re-raises us on the turn, call since there'd be 10.75BB in the pot and your at least 2.83:1 to improve. Fold the river if bet to you since you can only beat a bluff, unless you have a read that he'd fold to a river bet but I don't think he would at this level.

dun_noo 01-22-2006 01:47 PM

I agree. I usually muck these hands, but my VPIP of 15.5 is too low IMO, and I'm trying to open up my game. Is this simply too marginal?

Dunkman 01-22-2006 01:49 PM

Yeah with the gutshot, BDFD, and an A (which isn't much of an out, probably just gonna cost you money) I don't fold on the flop. That being said, I like the raise, trying to get CO out of the hand, which could possibly buy you some additional outs with the ace. And yeah, after they both call I'm in c/f mode if UI.

Gregatron 01-22-2006 01:51 PM

The preflop raise is good. Standard actually.

I don't like the flop raise. I just call and hope to see CO come along. If one of your draws come through then you can pop villian on a later street. I don't think the raise is a bad mistake though, and I would likely make it if CO was not in the hand.

Gregatron 01-22-2006 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think A3s is that good of a hand. I usually just limp in with them (their main strength is flopping a flush draw, with limited strength pairing the aces due to the bad kicker).

[/ QUOTE ]
No. This is a standard open raise from the hijack. You should NEVER open limp this from the hijack! A3 is a pretty good shorthanded hand.

dun_noo 01-22-2006 01:54 PM

Thanks Greg. Should I be making this same raise with unsuited higher aces, like A6/A9?