Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   can I make money playing supertight? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=412062)

Mark3435 05-25-2007 09:33 PM

can I make money playing supertight?

Can I make money playing 2/4 to 5/10 Limit online at full tables only playing the top 5% of hands dealt such as AA,KK,QQ, JJ, AK suited and offsuit and A,Q suited? If I only played these hands (raising with them preflop) and only continued if I hit a piece of the flop could I average 1/2 to 1 BB per hour? How about if I were playing live?

Octopus 05-25-2007 11:31 PM

Re: can I make money playing supertight?

[ QUOTE ]
Can I make money playing 2/4 to 5/10 Limit online at full tables only playing the top 5% of hands dealt such as AA,KK,QQ, JJ, AK suited and offsuit and A,Q suited? If I only played these hands (raising with them preflop) and only continued if I hit a piece of the flop could I average 1/2 to 1 BB per hour? How about if I were playing live?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on whether your opponents are idiots are not. (I do not mean this to be rude; they may well be idiots.) In the online games you mention, you would surely lose (albeit quite slowly). Live? Who knows. Depends on the game, but I can think of little more boring to do than play that way live.

Having said that, posts like this go over very poorly here. If you want to learn to play, fine. If you want a robot-like strategy, search elsewhere.

Xhad 05-26-2007 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I make money playing 2/4 to 5/10 Limit online at full tables only playing the top 5% of hands dealt such as AA,KK,QQ, JJ, AK suited and offsuit and A,Q suited?

[/ QUOTE ]

Online, the winners at those limits will be very glad if you do this.

Leader 05-26-2007 01:45 AM

no, the games aren't nearly good enough for this to work.

HollywoodDB 05-26-2007 04:12 AM

I think it would somewhat work live 8/16 and below, but not online.

Mark3435 05-26-2007 06:00 AM

Didn't mean it to be robotic although I can see how it is. Just that I play too many hands now and looking for a more disciplined way to play limit poker. If I was going to restrict myself to certain hands preflop for tight low limit poker any suggestions?
thanks.

gameoverjc 05-26-2007 07:32 AM

don't try it live. I have a fairly nice range of hands I open with, raise, etc, and in live I've gone card dead for 4-5 hours waiting for any decent hand. If I waited for Jacks and better, I would've been card dead in many sessions for 12 full hours. You simply don't get enough hands.

smarterthanyoda 05-26-2007 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was going to restrict myself to certain hands preflop for tight low limit poker any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Memorize the starting requirements from one of the books and stick to that. You won't play optimally in every situation, but it will give you a good foundation while you're learning.

Nemesis69 05-26-2007 12:00 PM

change gears often. Only tight is not good!

Xhad 05-26-2007 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I was going to restrict myself to certain hands preflop for tight low limit poker any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Memorize the starting requirements from one of the books and stick to that. You won't play optimally in every situation, but it will give you a good foundation while you're learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you might be able to get away with a preflop hand chart at 2/4 (not so sure about 3/6 and 5/10 online), even though you'll still be a little overly tight, as long as it's not Phil Hellmuth's chart you're using.