Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Unscientific PS2 Survey: All PS2 owners please open this (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557927)

Nicholasp27 11-30-2007 11:49 AM

Unscientific PS2 Survey: All PS2 owners please open this

If you own/owned a PS2, please answer the following poll. These would be PS2s bought for your household, not buying them as a gift for a friend or someone who lives outside of your household.

chuckleslovakian 11-30-2007 12:04 PM

Re: Unscientific PS2 Survey: All PS2 owners please open this

1, but I did have to send in it to be fixed once

Big TR 11-30-2007 12:57 PM

Only 1 PS2, purchased in May of 2002. Not a single problem with it.

It will probably blow up tomorrow because of this post.

Scary_Tiger 11-30-2007 01:03 PM

One, I sold it to my brother when Guitar Hero 2 came out and got a PS3.

astroglide 11-30-2007 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These would be PS2s bought for your household, not buying them as a gift for a friend or someone who lives outside of your household.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i think ps2 will end up around 135-140mil when it's done, with maybe 90mil unique buyers (rest of sales are 2nd/3rd/4th/etc after 1st broke)

[/ QUOTE ]

are you conducting this small audience poll in an attempt to prove your assertion about ps2 failure rates?

BuckyK 11-30-2007 02:11 PM

No matter how much you wish it, the PS one, PS2, and PS3 do not and will not have a failure rate as high as some other products in the same market.

AceLuby 11-30-2007 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No matter how much you wish it, the PS one, PS2, and PS3 do not and will not have a failure rate as high as some other products in the same market.

[/ QUOTE ]

The PS2 basically had a recall due to faulty lenses. My first first wouldn't read regular PS2 games, then it wouldn't read PS1 games, then DVD's, then DVD Games (they were silver instead of purple). It really sucked because a year later (which I never found out about) they would replace/fix your for free due to a class action law suit.

There is news about a class action lawsuit against M$ right now regarding the RROD. It's been on a lot of the big news stations.

jah7_fsu1 11-30-2007 03:11 PM

Nicholas:

I purchased one PS2 which despite numerous abuses had no problems for about 6 years. Then it started to not read DVD's, or read games very slowly (had to wait on the opening screen for about 10 minutes, then it would be fine during entire gameplay experience.) I cleaned the laser lens and haven't had a problem since for probably my most used system in my life.

DVaut1 11-30-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1, but I did have to send in it to be fixed once

[/ QUOTE ]

Same for me. Bought mine in 2002. Sent it in for a repair (Sony covered the cost of repair and postage, etc.) because of the lens issue in 2004 or 2005. Been fine since.

Dire 11-30-2007 03:42 PM

Went through 2. Didn't replace it again after the second one fried. Planning on getting a third one if there's ever a drought in 360 games. There's alot of great games I missed out on.

Josh11 11-30-2007 04:50 PM

I would imagine a decent percentage of those who had to buy new systems or send theirs in for repair were dealing with laser issues that they could have easily fixed themselves.

Dudd 11-30-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is news about a class action lawsuit against M$ right now regarding the RROD. It's been on a lot of the big news stations.

[/ QUOTE ]

What could you possibly be suing for? Microsoft already has a 3 year free replacement warranty, what more could you ask for, pain and suffering from the two weeks it took to get the box back?

dibbs 11-30-2007 05:55 PM

Bought mine 01 I think, it's still kicking, though it basically just collects dust at this point, I keep thinking Ima play Shadows again is the only reason why its still hooked up.

VickreyAuction 11-30-2007 05:59 PM

Bought one which lasted for ~3 years, bought another which has lasted ~2 years and is still working.

Zele 11-30-2007 06:06 PM

Bought one at launch, laser crapped for some but not all games a couple years later. Inspired me to buy HD Advance, which allowed me to continue playing off of hard drive (for some reason most games worked this way). HD Advance saved me some money in other ways, too (suck it, Sony).

Valsuvious 11-30-2007 06:11 PM

Bought one probably somewhere around 2001 timeframe (can't remember exactly though ) and just recently had to self fix it. Although I really haven't played it to much since I got my Wii, minus beating the newest FF game.

PITTM 11-30-2007 06:13 PM

2. bought one at full retail. sold it higher.
bought my current one for 25 bucks from a housemate who didnt want it anymore ~2 years ago.

Thanir 11-30-2007 06:20 PM

I bought one on launch day, and was the only one I ever bought. I will say I stopped playing it as I starting going to strictly PC gaming.

n.s. 11-30-2007 06:24 PM

I'm on my 3rd PS2. The first one had laser issues that I was able to work around for a while by adjusting the laser height, but it finally just quit working. When I bought my second one, I bought it used and paid for the extended return policy - that one lasted about 3 months before I had to get another one (covered, thankfully). My 3rd one hasn't gotten all that much use, but it still works.

bottomset 11-30-2007 06:42 PM

had one for 3.5yrs or so

VickreyAuction 11-30-2007 07:02 PM

Also 2 controllers broke, the joystick elastics snapped (or something like that).

thac 11-30-2007 08:28 PM

I've only had one, not a problem with it, but I did have two of the controllers lose their joysticks - they clung to one side and would stick there. Now it's pawned off on a friend so I hope it doesn't fail.

toss 11-30-2007 10:42 PM

Bought one plus about 20 games when the new design came out.

GetThere1Time 11-30-2007 10:50 PM

Bought 2. Had my fatty for a long time and then it took some smoke damage in a fire so I bought a slim. Had a tech head buddy of mine put a hard drive in the fatty and fix it. Modded the slim with tape and tissue. Both work beautifully now.

MrWookie 11-30-2007 10:51 PM

Nick,

Either let us see the results w/o voting, or give the people who have never owned a PS2 an option to vote for in the pole. I voted 1, but I've never owned one, just because I was curious about the results.

SoloAJ 12-01-2007 12:46 PM

I bought one and won one in Vegas last year (hah).

My original has definitely had laser issues because the angle it sits at needs to be adjusted sometimes. I've probably done it four times since I owned it. It's a little hassle, but definitely worth the effort to not have to buy a new one and be able to play awesome games.

grouchie 12-01-2007 01:04 PM

bought my ps2 at release, twice i had a DVD Read Error in all the years, but it still works to this day no problems.

RikaKazak 12-01-2007 04:35 PM

I own 2 ps2's...never had a problem with either...1 is the OLD big fat ugly thing..other one is the skiny dude.