Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Bad Beat Jackpots = Zero Sum? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547615)

SellingtheDrama 11-16-2007 04:30 PM

Re: Bad Beat Jackpots = Zero Sum?

I read this thread and I'm so happy to not play in a jackpot room.

Dennisa 11-16-2007 04:41 PM

Places like the Huslter, I believe pay promotions out of jackpot drops, eg Aces cracked during the weekdays. Saturday cash giveaway and the Sunday football/Basketball pools.

I wonder if the Bike takes out jackpot funds to reimburse the free food on their players cards?

jesse8888 11-16-2007 04:55 PM

FWIW, a regular who's pretty "with it" at Artichoke Joe's last night told me the house takes 15% off the top of every dollar that goes down the hole for the BBJP. He was quite sure of his information, and I have no reason to doubt him.

sternroolz 11-16-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read this thread and I'm so happy to not play in a jackpot room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. I hate playing with bad players who chase negative ev money. I'd much rather play where they respect my raises.

DrVanNostrin 11-16-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'd been playing for 10 years 40 hours a day (curretly sitting @ a $1/$2 Table...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I played with this guy before. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If the BBJ is unraked and you do not know how much the jackpot is the EV will be 0 (without regard to interest). If you know the jackpot is higher than it is on average it will be +EV, if it's lower than it is on average it will be -EV. Also, when it's 90k it probably draws players who wouldn't otherwise play to the table (this should be +EV).

Poshua 11-16-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gaming regulations prohibit them from raking more than 10% from a game, and raking the BBJ/HHJ drop would put 'em over 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that only be true if the $1 that constitutes the jackpot drop is also counted toward the raked pot?

For example, take a 1/2NL game with a 10% to $4 rake. The last dollar is taken out at $40, and the jackpot drop is taken out at $20.

Consider a gross pot of $40. $1 got taken out for the jackpot at $20, leaving $39. Only $3 got taken out for rake, because pot after jackpot drop < $40. Total rake is $3 + $.10 that will be raked from the jackpot. $3.10 < 10% * $40.

Now consider a gross pot of $41. $1 got taken out for the jackpot at $20, leaving $40. As a result, $4 was raked from the pot. Total rake is $4 + $.10 on the jackpot. $4.10 = 10% * $41.

goofyballer 11-16-2007 05:44 PM

Pretty sure BBJs are -EV because I hit one once and I'm still a net loser in them lifetime. The [censored] is so rigged!

bav 11-16-2007 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gaming regulations prohibit them from raking more than 10% from a game, and raking the BBJ/HHJ drop would put 'em over 10%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that only be true if the $1 that constitutes the jackpot drop is also counted toward the raked pot?

For example, take a 1/2NL game with a 10% to $4 rake. The last dollar is taken out at $40, and the jackpot drop is taken out at $20.

Consider a gross pot of $40. $1 got taken out for the jackpot at $20, leaving $39. Only $3 got taken out for rake, because pot after jackpot drop < $40. Total rake is $3 + $.10 that will be raked from the jackpot. $3.10 < 10% * $40.

Now consider a gross pot of $41. $1 got taken out for the jackpot at $20, leaving $40. As a result, $4 was raked from the pot. Total rake is $4 + $.10 on the jackpot. $4.10 = 10% * $41.

[/ QUOTE ]
That ain't the way they count the pot anyplace I've ever played. Pot hits $10, and $2 comes out--1 for jackpot, 1 for rake, leaving $8 in the pot. When $10 more goes in, $1 comes out.

I suppose yes, if the house does it your way, they could probably get away with it. If at $40 $3 comes out for rake, fine, they can take 10% of the $1 jackpot and be legal and make 10 cents. Or they can just not rake the jackpot and take the full $1 rake at $40. Not sure that's a good trade off for them, but maybe. Does kinda seem like it might make 'em a bit more, at least on games that regularly get >$40 pots. It'd be sorta like raking with dimes instead of dollars, only raking with a single dime only when the jackpot is dropped.

Hope the Harrah's execs aren't reading this thread. If we see 10% of the jackpot drop being raked next year and dimes being used for the rake, we'll know where they got the idea.

daveT 11-16-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure BBJs are -EV because I hit one once and I'm still a net loser in them lifetime. The [censored] is so rigged!

[/ QUOTE ]

I estimate that I payed about 10k in BBJ and only won a $300 table share. I don't care how loose they are, it's a bum rap.

Mr. AtlanticCity 11-16-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hope the Harrah's execs aren't reading this thread. If we see 10% of the jackpot drop being raked next year and dimes being used for the rake, we'll know where they got the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to be concerned, Harrah's executives can not read.