Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Brag: I finally beat Linley's Dungeon Crawl. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=159395)

Jeff W 07-11-2006 07:37 PM

Brag: I finally beat Linley\'s Dungeon Crawl.

I don't know if anyone has played Linley's Dungeon Crawl(or Crawl), but it is an extraordinarily tough and deep Roguelike game that took me a few hundred attempts to beat. Here is my victory post.

You can get the game here. It is the 4th link from the top. I'm happy to give advice to anyone who tries it out.

durron597 07-11-2006 09:11 PM

Re: Brag: I finally beat Linley\'s Dungeon Crawl.

Is it easier or harder than Nethack 3.4.3?

Jeff W 07-11-2006 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it easier or harder than Nethack 3.4.3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much harder... but in a good way. Crawl is a tactical game, whereas Nethack is very much a "treadmill" or scumming game by comparison(Ex: Sit around for 10,000 turns waiting for monsters to generate and them sac them on an altar to obtain artifact weapons and spellbooks is a valid nethack strategy, but it would never fly in crawl).

Crawl is easily the most challenging(and best!) Roguelike that's widely played. I've heard the Rogue is quite difficult, but I haven't played it.

vulturesrow 07-11-2006 11:02 PM

OMG this awesome dude. I hate you for introducing me to this! I didnt read your victory post, whats your favorite character type?

Jeff W 07-11-2006 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG this awesome dude. I hate you for introducing me to this! I didnt read your victory post, whats your favorite character type?

[/ QUOTE ]

Minotaur Monks are my favorite--that's the character I won with. I also like Hill Dwarf or Mountain Dwarf Gladiators.

For a spellcaster, Deep Elf Ice Elementalist or Fire Elementalist.

When you're just starting out, the one thing you need to know is that you have to 'D'isect corpses and carry around the chunks. 'e'at the chunks when hungry. Everything else you can learn as you go.

Once you've got into the game more, I recommend you read some beginner strategy/tactics posts by Erik Piper:

"a" the Human Fighter

b the Deep Elf Conjurer Part 1

b the Deep Elf Conjurer Part 2

Good luck!

krishan 07-11-2006 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard the Rogue is quite difficult, but I haven't played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's incredibly difficult. Somewhat frustrating too once you get through the first 14 or so levels. But it's very fun up to then.

Krishan

vulturesrow 07-11-2006 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Minotaur Monks are my favorite--that's the character I won with. I also like Hill Dwarf or Mountain Dwarf Gladiators.

For a spellcaster, Deep Elf Ice Elementalist or Fire Elementalist.

When you're just starting out, the one thing you need to know is that you have to 'D'isect corpses and carry around the chunks. 'e'at the chunks when hungry. Everything else you can learn as you go.

Once you've got into the game more, I recommend you read some beginner strategy/tactics posts by Erik Piper:

"a" the Human Fighter

b the Deep Elf Conjurer Part 1

b the Deep Elf Conjurer Part 2

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

I dont know how to say this, so I am just going to come out and say it. I think I love you. Any and all further links you could provide would be much appreciated.

Jeff W 07-12-2006 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any and all further links you could provide would be much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

R1 Crawl Spoilers

Crawl Hints and Spoilers

Once you're more familiar with the game, the R1 skill aptitude spoilers will be the main thing to understand. Although Crawl has classes, they only determine your starting skills, religion(if any) and equipment. Your race determines your abilities and aptitudes for various skills.

07-13-2006 06:22 PM

I feel a great disturbance in the force. As if thousands of hours of productivity will be lost.

Jeff W 07-14-2006 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel a great disturbance in the force. As if thousands of hours of productivity will be lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, a new addict!

I just killed off a 26th level Ghoul Fighter through stupidity(those of you who are experienced with Crawl know how tragic that is)... can't believe it. He could have easily "beat" the game as is, but I wanted to explore some of the tougher areas in the game that I avoided in my first victory for fear of dying.