Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Community (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Pushbot Charts -- Picking the Ranges (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521418)

jcm4ccc 10-12-2007 09:56 AM

Pushbot Charts -- Picking the Ranges

For those of you familiar with the pushbot charts -- there are three ranges in them, labeled Tight, Average, and Loose. I dug out the charts again and I think the ranges might not work anymore. It seems to me that people are calling a lot looser than they used to. Anyway, if you guys want to suggest different ranges, I can work up another set of charts. The original ranges were:

Tight: 66+, A6s+, A8o+, KQs
Average: 22+, A2s+, A2o+, KQs
Loose: 22+, A2s+, A2o+, KTs+, KJo+, QJs, QJo, JTs

What do you all think should be the ranges? Just don't suggest any two for the loose range, because the answer to that is that you push hands that are better than 50% against a random hand.

Here is a link to the charts: Pushbot Charts

Crash0veride 10-12-2007 10:36 AM

Re: Pushbot Charts -- Picking the Ranges

I was actually thinking the same thing myself.
I've started making this adjustment to my game by pushing tighter and calling wider.

djk123 10-12-2007 11:43 AM

don't rely on charts

Crash0veride 10-12-2007 12:01 PM

I generally really don't. But I have and read the pushbot chart and felt that we're open pushing too wide especially with the way people are calling wider

jcm4ccc 10-12-2007 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't rely on charts

[/ QUOTE ] a chart is a tool, just like pokertracker, just like SnGWizard, just like a simple odds chart.

Personally, I rarely look at the charts, but others have found them useful. In particular, I think the data on small pairs was eye-opening for a lot of people. The assumption from many people was that, in push-fold mode, any pair from any position is worth pushing. And it's just not so.

shaundeeb 10-12-2007 02:00 PM

you probably thought you were so clever calling him a tool, Yet hes someone you should watch because he's a lot better hten you at poker and always will be.

jcm4ccc 10-12-2007 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you probably thought you were so clever calling him a tool, Yet hes someone you should watch because he's a lot better hten you at poker and always will be.

[/ QUOTE ] i was trying to be clever. I never claimed to be better.

i'll edit the clever comment out -- I just found his flippant comment a little ridiculous, but I'm used to twoplustwo -- he can make a flippant non-helpful comment because he's a good poker player, and i can't make a flippant response in kind because i'm not.

djk123 10-12-2007 02:47 PM

bah i'm a little disappointed that i didn't get to see the clever comment.

obviously charts can be helpful, but for a game like poker relying on them is not going to help u get better. poker's always changing so you always need to be making adjustments.

jcm4ccc 10-12-2007 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bah i'm a little disappointed that i didn't get to see the clever comment.

[/ QUOTE ] it was an attempt at clever. it didn't actually get there.

fredd-bird 10-12-2007 04:03 PM

open-ended clever draw?

Proofrock 10-12-2007 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously charts can be helpful, but for a game like poker relying on them is not going to help u get better. poker's always changing so you always need to be making adjustments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. Part of becoming an MTT expert is being an expert pushbotter. Whether you do the calculations on paper, in excel, with SnG Analyzer, or use pushbot charts it's definitely helpful for improving that aspect of one's game. If nothing else, it helps one develop a good intuition for profitable pushing situations, which can definitely counterintuitive at first.

Proofrock 10-12-2007 07:28 PM

One thing I've been thinking of since looking at these is that the "loose" calling range will change pretty significantly with your M. For example, when your M < 3, I'd expect to be called by pretty much any pair, ace, king, broadway cards, and most connectors, even from tight players. I'm not sure how feasible it is to implement an extra-loose range for situations where M < 3, and it probably won't make much difference in the results, but it would be nice to check it out for the worst hands (72o+,62o+,52o+,42o+,32o).

By the way, thanks for putting these charts together. They're a great quick reference guide.

untadam 10-12-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. Part of becoming an MTT expert is being an expert pushbotter. Whether you do the calculations on paper, in excel, with SnG Analyzer, or use pushbot charts it's definitely helpful for improving that aspect of one's game. If nothing else, it helps one develop a good intuition for profitable pushing situations, which can definitely counterintuitive at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great response! QFT