Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   2007 Pac 10 football thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=497149)

TomCollins 09-09-2007 07:13 PM

Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because the Pac deserves their own thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

PAC 10 > Big East >>>>>>> SEC>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know college football is at least partially about delusional homerism, but this is just, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't seem delusional at all if one watched the games played thus far

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what has the Big East done so far this year except struggle against supposedly far inferior competition? That was a nice win by USF, but Auburn isn't exactly looking all that great this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cincinnati absolutely crushing Oregon State.
Rutgers beating down a decent Navy team.
South Florida (probably the 5th best team in the BE going to Auburn and beating them).

WV is stacked, LV has a crazy offense (but no D).

VayaConDios 09-09-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because the Pac deserves their own thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

PAC 10 > Big East >>>>>>> SEC>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know college football is at least partially about delusional homerism, but this is just, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't seem delusional at all if one watched the games played thus far

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what has the Big East done so far this year except struggle against supposedly far inferior competition? That was a nice win by USF, but Auburn isn't exactly looking all that great this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cincinnati absolutely crushing Oregon State.
Rutgers beating down a decent Navy team.
South Florida (probably the 5th best team in the BE going to Auburn and beating them).

WV is stacked, LV has a crazy offense (but no D).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you totally ignore WV and Lousville barely winning. Not terribly impressive for the two best teams in the league. And wow, beating Navy is a HUGE accomplishment. Congrats Rutgers. Check back in a couple of months and see what the Big Least is up to.

TomCollins 09-09-2007 08:02 PM

Are you stupid? Did you totally miss my earlier post in this thread?

[ QUOTE ]
UofL and WV are probably overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beating Navy in itself doesn't mean much, but Rutgers pwned them.

WV won by 25... that's barely winning? Give me a break.

VayaConDios 09-09-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you stupid? Did you totally miss my earlier post in this thread?

[ QUOTE ]
UofL and WV are probably overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beating Navy in itself doesn't mean much, but Rutgers pwned them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not surprised in the least that you can't refrain from petty name calling, even when talking about something as trivial as sports.

Just because you admit that UL and WV are overrated doesn't mean you can then ignore that fact when rating the conference. Right now the Big East is full of decent but unspectacular teams. WV is the only legit top 15 team in that conference.

MyTurn2Raise 09-09-2007 08:27 PM

when did West Virginia barely win?

I know I had a bet on Marshall +24 and W Mich +20 something, but I don't remember collecting on either of them

JaredL 09-09-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when did West Virginia join the Pac 10?

[/ QUOTE ]

JaredL 09-09-2007 08:48 PM

I think Washington will probably be the most interesting team. They beat Syracuse, who are probably pretty terrible, by a large margin and put a solid win over Boise State. I don't know much about Boise State this season, but I wonder if their ranking and prestige is just from the amazing win in the Fiesta Bowl.

So I think Washington could be anywhere from great to not terrible but not good. They clearly won't be bad as they were a few years ago, but I'm honestly not sure what their wins so far say about them.

Naturally I'm biased against them as a Duck fan. Oregon should play a lot of high scoring games. The defense isn't great by any stretch but the O is looking good obviously. The defense let Houston stay in the game far too long and in the first half didn't do a great job at stopping Michigan. They put up only 7 but there was a pick in the endzone, a missed field goal, and they punted once or twice from inside the 50. There were times early where I thought we were in trouble because Michigan had some runs where monstrous holes opened up. Should be entertaining if nothing else.

Overall I think the Pac 10 should be interesting after the top team. USC is IMO solidly better than Cal, who is a bit better than 3 or 4 teams all of which are good teams overall. So the competition to win the conference shouldn't be that great barring an upset or two but there should be some great games and the fighting over the last few bowl spots should be better than usual.

LocustHorde 09-09-2007 09:11 PM

did the Ducks get rid of those hideous yellow uniforms? Back a few years ago, they had the dark green uni's and they were decent. I can't imagine a recruit wanting to wear these things.

I think UW-OSU is going to be one heck of a game next week. OSU has an inexperienced QB and OL, but their defense is tough as nails. It's going to be very challenging for the young QB to shine in what will be a very LOUD Dawghouse. They've played two cupcakes so far, so that's showing nothing. They haven't played an offense with such speed in its backfield that UW has, so that will be a stiff test for them. If they want to beat UW, they'll have to contain Locker and Rankin. I don't think UW has the recievers to make too many game changing plays on a consistent basis.

JackWhite 09-09-2007 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Final scores are not always indicative of the competitiveness of the game. I watched parts of that game. Marshall had the lead for most of the game. WV scored a few times late to turn a close contest into a wide final margin. I am guessing most West Virginia fans do not view that peformance as a comfortable, blow-out win, despite the final score.

JaredL 09-09-2007 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did the Ducks get rid of those hideous yellow uniforms? Back a few years ago, they had the dark green uni's and they were decent. I can't imagine a recruit wanting to wear these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they still have them. They may bust out any combination of the tops and pants.

I don't like a lot of them, I really like the white jerseys, but they say that the kids like them and it helps for recruiting.