Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   How Do You Get Through Class? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=489220)

Kos13 08-29-2007 04:34 PM

How Do You Get Through Class?

I'll keep it short: my major is cake, and I pretty much coast, but all of my classes are small and have required attendance. I'm a lazy guy, but ironically, I always have to be doing tons of things at once (ex. I can't watch TV without surfing the net and talking on AIM). Doing one thing at a time bores me to the point that I can't even sit still.

So class is obviously horrible...listening to someone lecture is basically equivalent to doing nothing. All of my classes are small, so I can't read the newspaper, use a laptop, listen to music, or sleep. Two of my classes are 3 hours long, and two others are 75 minutes. I typically just stare into space or scan the class for cute girls, but this can only fill so much time. Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it through class? (Paying attention is not an option.) Does anyone do something that looks like work/notes but is actually mildly entertaining?

mik37 08-29-2007 04:43 PM

Re: How Do You Get Through Class?

When I'm not spacing out or checkin out girls, which is 80% of the time, I take out my planner and write stuff I need to do over the next few days/weeks. I also have a job that requires a good amount of work so I'll think about stuff for that.

1aguilas 08-29-2007 05:07 PM

sudoku/crossword puzzles

PaulSF415 08-29-2007 05:21 PM

Just take notes, yo. Not just to look like you're taking notes, but actually take notes. The class goes by so much quicker.

AceLuby 08-29-2007 05:29 PM

Bring a laptop, problem solved, esp if your school has wireless.

Kos13 08-29-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just take notes, yo. Not just to look like you're taking notes, but actually take notes. The class goes by so much quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would force me to pay attention, and I don't really like doing that. Like I said, most of my classes are BS, so I don't really even need to take notes...I just have to show up.

[ QUOTE ]
Bring a laptop, problem solved, esp if your school has wireless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not an option, as all of my profs give penalties to people with open laptops.

jkamowitz 08-29-2007 05:39 PM

What sort of archaic school do you go to? No laptops?!

I would agree with others that taking notes can actually pass time. Although if it's a discussion class it can be fun to play the ass**** and just be devil's advocate.

I did have a situation with a professor where we became friends and I would spend a lot of time in her office just talking. I explained to her my feelings on strict attendance policy and how it's absurd that I was paying to be penalized not to show. She thought about it and excused me from the policy.

I took 6 classes with her and aced each one.

There's always a way. . . .

Kos13 08-29-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What sort of archaic school do you go to? No laptops?!

I would agree with others that taking notes can actually pass time. Although if it's a discussion class it can be fun to play the ass**** and just be devil's advocate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to Purdue. It's not a "no laptop" school, it's just these certain classes (small classes typically frown on laptops here).

And these aren't discussion classes, so there's really no interaction; it's just non-stop lecture.

1aguilas 08-29-2007 05:59 PM

sounds like a sweet school

PaulSF415 08-29-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would force me to pay attention, and I don't really like doing that. Like I said, most of my classes are BS, so I don't really even need to take notes...I just have to show up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not paying attention = boredom

You just have to choose one or the other. It's what going to school is all about.