Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   TV: What are you watching tonight? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327345)

Sniper 02-08-2007 09:52 PM

TV: What are you watching tonight?

<h3 style="font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;"><big
style="font-weight: bold;"><big>What are you watching
on TV tonight?</big></big></h3>
<big>I'm never sure if I'm spending my time watching the best TV
or not, maybe
the great minds in TLDR can help me figure out what I
should be watching.

I'll be multitasking (as usual), but the following shows will be on in
the background...</big>

<table style="text-align: left; width: 297px; height: 440px;"
border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td
style="vertical-align: top; height: 107px; width: 287px; text-align: center;">http://wwwimage.cbs.com/primetime/su...ommon/logo.jpg</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="height: 97px; width: 287px; text-align: center;">http://a.static.abc.com/primetime/gr...mages/logo.jpg</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 287px; text-align: center; height: 228px;">http://www.zap2it.com/media/photo/2006-10/26006816.jpg</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

MrWookie 02-08-2007 10:26 PM

Re: TV: What are you watching tonight?

I really enjoy NBC's comedy line up. I don't go for reality TV or primetime soaps. The Office is probably the best comedy on TV right now, and 30 Rock and Scrubs are also really solid.

Wires 02-08-2007 10:27 PM

Earl
The Office
Scrubs
30 Rock
Shark

I will PVR Survivor, CSI, and The Sara Silverman Program.

All this while cranking out a bunch of reports for work so I can finally quit my job (last day tomorrow... yippee)

rothko 02-08-2007 11:06 PM

survivor? the last season just ended and already another? well, glad you posted this, then.

noticed the office missing from your list. that is the only regular tv show i watch: you need to include it.

Myrtle 02-08-2007 11:18 PM

MSNBC - Countdown, Hardball

PBS - Wild Things, Nature

Sniper 02-08-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
survivor? the last season just ended and already another? well, glad you posted this, then.

noticed the office missing from your list. that is the only regular tv show i watch: you need to include it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so a show I haven't watched getting consensus so far, can someone tell me about The Office?

David LoPan 02-08-2007 11:39 PM

tv is for retards

Wires 02-09-2007 12:16 AM

I suppose this is you?

Link

katyseagull 02-09-2007 12:18 AM

I watched these:

The Office (wow Michael was in rare form)
Grey's Anatomy (Why do I watch this show!)
Nashville Star
Sarah Silverman (going back and forth between this and Nashville)

I think I need to switch back to Scrubs. Grey's Anatomy is getting so stupid. Anyone else think the Christina-Burke thing is annoying?

Watching Jon Stewart right now.

Wires 02-09-2007 12:28 AM

The Office (wow Michael was in rare form)

He definitely had more than a few cringeworthy moments tonight. Good episode though.

Sniper,

IMO, The Office is one of the best shows on television right now - comedy or drama. I'd recommend starting with season 1 (only 6 episodes) and work your way through. The cast really starts clicking about a quarter of the way through season 2.

katyseagull 02-09-2007 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
According to Melinda Elkins, a coworker of Green's at The Frame Job, a Chapel Hill picture-frame shop, Green steers the conversation toward television whenever possible, just so he can mention not owning one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I remember this one.

katyseagull 02-09-2007 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He definitely had more than a few cringeworthy moments tonight. Good episode though.

[/ QUOTE ]

God the things he said to Phyllis. Just totally inappropriate.

Wires 02-09-2007 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
According to Melinda Elkins, a coworker of Green's at The Frame Job, a Chapel Hill picture-frame shop, Green steers the conversation toward television whenever possible, just so he can mention not owning one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I remember this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to work for a supervisor who was like this. She had a television but no cable so she only got 2 or 3 fuzzed out stations (for the kids of course). Invariably office conversation would turn to what we had watched the night before on television. She'd get this bemused smirk and comment on how she had not seen the show because she didn't have cable. She would feign interest and act naive but the truth was she wanted us to know she thought we were idiots.

rothko 02-09-2007 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose this is you?

Link

[/ QUOTE ]

nicely done.

rothko 02-09-2007 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sniper,

IMO, The Office is one of the best shows on television right now - comedy or drama. I'd recommend starting with season 1 (only 6 episodes) and work your way through. The cast really starts clicking about a quarter of the way through season 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you definitely need to start from the beginning. the show gets better with age, so stick with it if you aren't completely enamored at first.

rothko 02-09-2007 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so a show I haven't watched getting consensus so far, can someone tell me about The Office?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/images...utText_top.gif http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/images...ext_bottom.gif

diebitter 02-09-2007 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tv is for retards

[/ QUOTE ]

Any more like this in here, you get a day off.

Stagger_Lee 02-09-2007 04:49 AM

The Office (UK) is a must see. Multiple times.

Extras - if you can get this then watch it from the start.

I am also watching episodes of Race Around the World. Read a synopsis here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Around_the_World

This show set a benchmark that hasn't been reached again in reality TV - and it was a good 4 years earlier than the debacle called Survivor that spawned the reality epidemic that has ruined our television today.

And the cricket, of course.

blackize 02-09-2007 05:37 AM

Heroes for me. It's probably the only new show that I watch aside from Law and Order when I remember that it's on. Usually I catch L&amp;O reruns all over the place instead.

imported_Chuck Weinstock 02-09-2007 10:45 AM

Last night we watched the end of Medium (which goes from being interesting to being silly and back again depending upon the episode) and Grey's Anatomy. I am very tired of G's A, but my wife still loves it. I mostly can't stand the music in the background because it all sounds so "important" and pretty much the same.

I thought the series started to go downhill with the bomb in the chest cavity episodes. But perhaps it was much earlier than that.

Still, my wife and I don't have that much time to sit together after our daughter goes to bed so I'll put up with it.

NickMPK 02-09-2007 12:02 PM

I watch all four NBC comedies, although I only got around the watching The Office and Scrubs last night; the rest on my DVR. I still tape The OC, but haven't watched in a while. I have a bunch saved up that maybe I'll get around to soon.
I also watch PTI on ESPN most evenings.

odellthurman 02-09-2007 12:34 PM

I watched Tender Mercies on TCM last night after watching the NBC sitcoms. Robert Duvall is fantastic, and Tender Mercies is a great movie.

mrbaseball 02-09-2007 01:41 PM

My DVR recorded
Earl
Office
Scrubs
30 Rock
Shark

Haven't watched any of them yet.

katyseagull 02-09-2007 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am very tired of G's A, but my wife still loves it. I mostly can't stand the music in the background because it all sounds so "important" and pretty much the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny you should mention the music because last night it was particularly annoying to me.

I'm trying to figure out what they are doing wrong with that show. Is it too many characters you think? Is it that the storylines are preposterous? Like aren't these people just interns and if so why do they have so much responsibility given to them? Another annoying thing is the close ups of the actors faces. I'm pretty sick of seeing Christina and Meredith and George with that dumb expression on their bewildered faces.

katyseagull 02-09-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My DVR recorded
Earl
Office
Scrubs
30 Rock
Shark

Haven't watched any of them yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know what you thought of last night's episode of The Office. It had some hits and misses.

Sniper 02-09-2007 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think the Christina-Burke thing is annoying?

[/ QUOTE ]

That relationship has been strange for a while [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Do you think Grey's lived up to the build up from their promo (see below)? Last nights episode was the first of a 3 episode story arc dealing with the ferry accident. Did it grab you?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Do9oCl845A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Do9oCl845A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Sniper 02-09-2007 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK guys, I've got The Office on my "must catch up" list...

Is anyone watching "Ugly Betty", or is that pretty much a dud, going against The Office and Survivor?

Your Mom 02-09-2007 05:04 PM

I'll be watching a movie. Movies &gt; TV

diebitter 02-09-2007 05:09 PM

I really don't watch TV by free choice, apart from a chat show where they have someone I want to hear talk. My wife watches these shows about British haunted houses a lot of evenings, and they are actually pretty cool.

I do watch TV shows when they come out on DVD though - I prefer no ads, and like to watch a series from start to end. I usually watch a serious series and a funny series in parallel.

Watching Battlestar Galactica Season 2 at the moment, and it's pretty good. Oh and South Park season 7, which is a good one too.

rothko 02-09-2007 05:17 PM

db, you don't watch top gear? i'm not a car person, but love that show. to be fair, my affection is somewhat due to my uk hangover.

diebitter 02-09-2007 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
db, you don't watch top gear? i'm not a car person, but love that show. to be fair, my affection is somewhat due to my uk hangover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it too, but I consistently miss it. I don't even know what evening/time it's on.

Sniper 02-09-2007 06:45 PM

<body>
<table style="text-align: center; width: 536px; height: 526px;"
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="height: 50px;">
<h2 style="font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;">What
are YOU watching on TV tonight?</h2>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<h3>Friday Feb 9th Edition</h3>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td
style="height: 67px; text-align: left; vertical-align: top;">Headed
off to my parents with the kids for dinner tonight, but when I return,
these shows will be on in the background. - <span
style="font-style: italic;">Sniper</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="height: 97px; width: 287px;">
<table style="text-align: center; width: 519px; height: 151px;"
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="width: 50%;">http://www.nbc.com/1vs100/images/thu.../hm-main_2.jpg</td>
<td style="width: 50%;">NBC 8pm (ET)

<span style="font-weight: bold;">1 vs 100</span>

Annie Duke is supposed to be in the Mob tonight.</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 50%;">http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/las-vegas.jpg</td>
<td style="width: 50%;">NBC 9PM (ET)

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Las Vegas</span>

Go Sam...

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 50%;">http://wwwimage.cbs.com/primetime/nu.../about_pic.jpg</td>
<td style="width: 50%;">CBS 10pm (ET)

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Numbers</span>

Gotta watch the geeks

</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
</body>

Wires 02-09-2007 07:01 PM

I'm trapped in my office until later this evening then going out for a few pints so no television for me. I don't watch much on Friday or Saturday with the exception of recording SNL.

I like the idea of letting this thread run throughout next week though. I comment on the odd television show in OOT but my comments are usually lost in the massive threads.

About your selections for this evening. I like Las Vegas but it fell of my radar when they moved it to Friday nights. 1 vs. 100 takes about 4 minutes to watch if you record it and fast forward through the fluff. I don't like the pacing of the show and there is no incentive for the contestant to go for the million - risk way outweighs the reward. I haven't seen Numbers but hear it's a decent show.

I'll catch up with this thread Sunday PM if it's still active.

Myrtle 02-09-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tv is for retards

[/ QUOTE ]

Any more like this in here, you get a day off.

[/ QUOTE ]

db......

If he had said, however, that most of the programming that is on the networks is for retards, he would have been eligible for a gold star, methinks.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

katyseagull 02-09-2007 07:49 PM

Oh come on! There's good stuff out there. You aren't even trying now are you.

rothko 02-09-2007 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't watch much on Friday or Saturday with the exception of recording SNL.

[/ QUOTE ]
um, why the latter? you don't honestly enjoy it do you?

Sniper 02-09-2007 11:23 PM

Looks like DB is going to be on Leno tonight...

Wires 02-10-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't watch much on Friday or Saturday with the exception of recording SNL.

[/ QUOTE ]
um, why the latter? you don't honestly enjoy it do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I (sheepishly) admit I enjoy it although it's something of a love/hate relationship. I'm 35 now and have been watching the show since I was 13 so I've hung in there through thick and thin. All signs indicate we may be heading into a good era. They've scaled down the cast and there have been some killer sketches this year - as well as a ton of duds, of course.

I'm convinced that people who don't like the show simply aren't fans of sketch comedy. This is fine but I have a hard time with people yearning for the Belushi/Radner/Chase era. For the first time those "golden era" episodes are being released in their entirety on DVD (well, season one so far). These discs provide people the opportunity to see sketches that have never been viewed since their original airing. It will also provide people with the opportunity to see that there were a lot of duds back then as well.

It is what it is, I guess...

Sniper 02-10-2007 10:59 AM

<table style="text-align: center; width: 595px; height: 588px;" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2">
<tbody>
<tr style="color: rgb(51, 51, 255);">
<h2 style="font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;">What are YOU watching on TV tonight?</h2>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<h3>Saturday Feb 10th Edition</h3>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="text-align: left; vertical-align: top; height: 80px;">Not going to have the TV on for long tonight, most likely popping in a movie (any suggestions?), but looks like I'll be watching Charlie Brown and Winnie the Pooh
Valentine specials on ABC, with the kids. - <span style="font-style: italic;">Sniper</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="height: 97px; width: 287px;">
<table style="text-align: center; width: 582px; height: 370px;" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="width: 50%;">
http://a.abc.com/images/20050919/mov...entine_big.jpg

</td>
<td style="width: 50%;">ABC 8:00pm (ET)

<span style="font-weight: bold;">A Charlie Brown
Valentine</span>

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td style="width: 50%;">
http://a.abc.com/images/20050919/mov...entine_big.jpg

</td>
<td style="width: 50%;">ABC 8:30pm (ET)

<span style="font-weight: bold;">Winnie the Pooh,
A Valentine for You</span>

</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

mrbaseball 02-10-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let us know what you thought of last night's episode of The Office. It had some hits and misses

[/ QUOTE ]

Not one of the better episodes but it had it's moments. Micheal was at his cringe inducing worst in this one. He's over the top and clueless. We get that. But sometimes (like this week) he's just irritating beyond reason.

My main joys from the office are the background players. Jim playing Dwight was well done as usual. Creed (one of my favorites) switching cards on the gift was perfect. Kevins band is a hoot. Oscar with another toaster. All these things made me laugh. Micheal just needs to be toned back a bit. His character is decent premise but often it goes beyond funny to just annoying.