Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Proper place for a Stop and Go? JJ. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=506847)

hendrix23 09-22-2007 12:12 PM

Proper place for a Stop and Go? JJ.

Seat 1: HERO ( 6,600 )
Seat 2: candastew ( 18,080 )
Seat 3: misshp ( 2,720 )
Seat 4: pokermatty6 ( 17,195 )
Seat 5: ryewhit ( 3,600 )
Seat 6: rod123888 ( 380 )
Seat 7: pxrfive ( 17,140 )
Seat 8: dutchproud3 ( 15,720 )
Seat 9: Theee_Nutsss ( 10,560 )
Seat 10: Carl_333 ( 4,660 )

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1600</font>, candastew calls t1600

Flop: (t3800) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets all-in t5000</font>, candastew calls t5000

Turn: (t13800) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)

River: (t13800) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)

HERO shows J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
candastew shows

I'm in a position where if I c-bet and he call's I'm running very low on chips. QQ-AA-AK I'm expecting a re-raise PF from him, and the chance's of him having a Q went down with 2 on the board. I havn't been playing long, and this is the first time I've tried this. Just wondering if I did it in the right place, or what another option might have been.

Thanks.

levAA 09-22-2007 12:38 PM

Re: Proper place for a Stop and Go? JJ.

So also from your analysis you are very likely to have the best hand on the flop.

there are 8 cards you don't want to see on the turn - so the probability an A or K hits is about 16%

I think with a push you will chase away some of the smaller PP.

I would make it 2000 on the flop, call a shove of course and bring it all in on the turn if no A or K hits.

hendrix23 09-22-2007 01:03 PM

Thanks. I was worried about leaving myself pot commited with a c-bet. So I should have just c-bet to extract value out of the hand(thinking I have the best hand on the flop), and got it to a showdown if I could. Makes sense.

Sherman 09-22-2007 02:09 PM

A few things:

1) This is not a stop n go. This is a go and go.

2) I don't know what the blinds are, but you should probably raise more or less PF. If the BB = t800 make it t2000 PF. It makes your flop shove closer to a pot-sized bet; which is what you want.

3) If the BB = 400, making it t2000 is still ok, but you might do better raising it to something smaller (e.g. min-raise to 800. Pot the flop. Shove the turn).

Anyhow, what I am trying to get at is that you need to size your PF bets to be consistent with your post-flop plan. In doing so, you won't have this awkward stack-pot size on the flop.

Sherman

hendrix23 09-22-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few things:

2) I don't know what the blinds are, but you should probably raise more or less PF. If the BB = t800 make it t2000 PF. It makes your flop shove closer to a pot-sized bet; which is what you want.

3) If the BB = 400, making it t2000 is still ok, but you might do better raising it to something smaller (e.g. min-raise to 800. Pot the flop. Shove the turn).

Anyhow, what I am trying to get at is that you need to size your PF bets to be consistent with your post-flop plan. In doing so, you won't have this awkward stack-pot size on the flop.

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, a lot.
Sorry should have said in my op. The blinds were 200/400 so I went 4x bb, and did sqrew myself with the pot size, and c-bet amount. That makes sense to adjust the PF raise accordingly, the guy that's been teaching me told me never to mini-raise though, and I don't play a lot of tournys so that's why I went 4x. I guess this is a go, and go though. and it turned out I was wrong about his 3-bet range. He had pocket queens and flopped quads, lol.

Sherman 09-22-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A few things:

Sherman

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, a lot.
Sorry should have said in my op. The blinds were 200/400 so I went 4x bb, and did sqrew myself with the pot size, and c-bet amount. That makes sense to adjust the PF raise accordingly, the guy that's been teaching me told me never to mini-raise though, and I don't play a lot of tournys so that's why I went 4x. I guess this is a go, and go though. and it turned out I was wrong about his 3-bet range. He had pocket queens and flopped quads, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Don't sweat the JJ vs. QQ result. Even if he shoved PF you would have to call. Just the way tournaments work.

As for the min-raise, I almost always hate it, and I'm not saying it is the best play PF here, but NEVER forget that you have lots of options. Often good players fall into a standard raise or bet amount and forget that they have other options available to them b/c those options are often less than optimal. However, occasionally, they are correct.

I think raising to 800 or 2K PF is slightly better here though, as it makes postflop play more straightforward. GL.

Sherman

hendrix23 09-22-2007 03:48 PM

thanks a lot bro.