Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   theblackkeys' "Starting Strength" log (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=360383)

theblackkeys 03-21-2007 04:36 AM

theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

Well, here's my log. Goes back about 2 months.

I used to pwn at sports, but I've been pretty much sedentary for the last 3-4 years.

I decided to do the Starting Strength program after hearing all the praise on the internet. It divides the exercises into two workouts, with three workouts performed per week on non-consecutive days. I workout sunday-tuesday-thursday

Each workout consists of three exercises, and focuses heavily on "ass-to-grass" squats, and consists of compound movements only. Lifting heavy weights for few sets and reps, and adding weight each workout are also goals of the program.

Workout A
Squat 3x5 (3 sets of five)
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Workout B
Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Powercleans/Pendlay Rows 3x5

I just started doing powercleans, because I thought it would be best to work on form for deadlift and squats first before I attempted this difficult movement. I'm not sure if I should be doing sets of five for powercleans
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Key:
S=squat
B=bench press
DL=deadlift
P=overhead press
PR=pendlay rows
PC=power cleans
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2/8
S: 135x5x3
B: 155x5x3
DL: I must have skipped them or was unsure how to do them at this point

2/10
S: 145x5 -> 145x4 -> 135x5. Apparently my form was bad, so I backed off.
B: 135x5 -> 145x5 -> 155x5.

I think I was trying to find my limit, but I also injured myself a couple weeks after this, so I was probably ramping up too quick. It's better to progress at a reasonable pace than jump too quick and get stuck/injured. Also, I wasn't really following the program at this point. But that's okay, I needed some breakin time for my body.

2/13
B: 165x5 -> 160x5x2. Once again, I push it too far.

2/15
P: 85x5x3. I noted that this was difficult, so I probably pushed it too much here.
DL: 135x5x1. First time doing them.

2/17
S: 145x5x3
I split my shorts doing squats so I had to go home and couldn't finish my workout. If the goddamned gym had some tape I would have just taped it up.

2/20
S: 155x5x3. I've added ten pounds the last two workouts. Perhaps I should have taken it slower.
B: 155x5x3, some pain in my left shoulder/arm area during warmups.
DL: 155x5x1

2/22
S: 160x5x3, some weirdness in knee during warmup
P: 95x4 -> 85x5x2. Too greedy.
PR: 85x5 -> 90x5 -> 95x5. First time doing PR's, trying to find my numbers. Felt good, I think form was good.

2/24
S: 165x5x3
B: 160x5x3, more pain during warmups that slowly "went away". I was performing bench with bad form. Elbows should NOT point perpendicular to the length of your body, they should point somewhere between perpendicular and parallel to your body.
DL: 160x5x1

2/27
S: 170x5x3
P: 90x5x3
PR: 100x5x3

2/29
S: 175x5x3
B: 165x5x2. I hurt my arm/shoulder here. I'll leave bench alone for awhile. Perhaps I should consider dumbbells?
DL: 170x5, 170x3. Not sure why I did an extra set, perhaps because I didn't finish bench?

3/4
S: 175x5x3. I noted that I used bad form. Not sure what exactly.
P: 90x5x3. I will replace bench press with overhead press for awhile.
PR: 125x5x3

3/6
S: 155x5x3. Backed off to work on form.
P: 95x5x3
DL: 175x5

3/8
S: 175x5x3
P: 100x5x3
PR: 130x5x3

missed a week due to food poisoning

3/15 Really tired from puking last week.
Front Squat: 135x5x3. My hands hurt more than my legs were sore
P: 105x2 -> 100x5x2
PR: 125x5x3

3/18
S: 175x5x3. I worked on stretching quite a bit. It helped.
B: 155x5x3. First time doing bench since getting hurt. Changed my form. I was a little squirrely on the last set.
DL: 185x5

3/20
S: 180x5x3. Felt good. Knee feels good tonight. We'll see tomorrow.
P: 105x5x3. I really enjoy this exercise. It's pretty tough.
PC: 65x5x1 -> 85x5x1 -> 95x5x3. Not sure if my form is good or not. Will have to reread Starting Strength. I am sore as a [censored] though. I think 5 reps is pushing it, perhaps I should break it down into 5 sets of 3??? Stick it out?

Anyways, I'll update again on thursday.

I've learned a couple things about myself by writing this up. I should focus on slower steadier gains and not jump around so much. I've got to get rid of my ego. I think I see all these dudes lifting much more than me and it pushes me to do stupid things. It has set me back more than once already.

My gym only has down to 2.5lb weights, so I will soon have to come up with some microloading solutions. I saw one cheap hack that uses a loop of chains. ANybody else got any bright ideas?

cbloom 03-21-2007 01:14 PM

Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

[ QUOTE ]

I've learned a couple things about myself by writing this up. I should focus on slower steadier gains and not jump around so much. I've got to get rid of my ego. I think I see all these dudes lifting much more than me and it pushes me to do stupid things. It has set me back more than once already.

My gym only has down to 2.5lb weights, so I will soon have to come up with some microloading solutions. I saw one cheap hack that uses a loop of chains. ANybody else got any bright ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing SS and have these exact same problems. My bench is so weak compared to where I've been in the past & what I see other people that I just want to jump up in weight; it's taking a lot of will power to just stay steady and keep good form.

My gym's got some pretty big clamps for holding the weights on the bar, I wonder if those might be a pound or so, I could use those to micro-weight.

skunkworks 03-21-2007 02:05 PM

theblackkeys,

It's recommended that when doing power cleans you break it up into smaller sets (5x3) because it is a much more technical lift and form can really disintegrate as you get deeper into those sets.

It's also much smarter to start at a ridiculously low weight (like practically even the bar itself) because it calls for such rapid weight increases. But you know that already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, in general the notation for lifts is sets x reps x weight. 3x5x180 is 3 sets of 5 reps at 180lbs. I'm mentioning that because for a second I thought you were doing 5 sets of 3 reps of power clean, but you're not. So when I said 5x3, I mean 5 sets of 3 reps.

Nice job. Take it steady on the injuries though.

Colt McCoy 03-21-2007 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to use a pair of adjustable ankle weights like these on the bar.

http://www.fittrax.com/images/access...nk_weights.jpg

StaticShock 03-21-2007 02:35 PM

Wow, this is a really good basic program. I'm not sure why I haven't come across it in its official form before.

You seem to have the right idea about staying within yourself at first to avoid injuries and setbacks blackkeys, good job. Don't worry too much about the smaller weight increments either. On these bigger lifts it isn't that big of a deal percentage wise to bump it up 5 pounds instead of 2.5 pounds.

And please, don't be afraid to ask a total stranger for a spot. If they say no, so what? Just bash the jerk over the head with an EZ curl bar when he starts his next set of cable curls.

theblackkeys 03-21-2007 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theblackkeys,

It's recommended that when doing power cleans you break it up into smaller sets (5x3) because it is a much more technical lift and form can really disintegrate as you get deeper into those sets.

It's also much smarter to start at a ridiculously low weight (like practically even the bar itself) because it calls for such rapid weight increases. But you know that already [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also, in general the notation for lifts is sets x reps x weight. 3x5x180 is 3 sets of 5 reps at 180lbs. I'm mentioning that because for a second I thought you were doing 5 sets of 3 reps of power clean, but you're not. So when I said 5x3, I mean 5 sets of 3 reps.

Nice job. Take it steady on the injuries though.

[/ QUOTE ]
ah, ok ,I'll change my notation around.

I think I'll do 5 sets of 3 for power cleans, instead of 3 sets of 5.

Also, knees feel good today.

Thremp 03-21-2007 05:38 PM

cbloom,

I think weights aren't very exact in the gym either. Like those 45lbs plates have a little give each way. So I wouldn't sweat very minimal increases on large compound lifts.

skunkworks 03-21-2007 05:56 PM

Thremp -- Rippetoe's Starting Strength is very particular about linear progression so the goal is to increase the weight every workout, even if it's only by adding 2.5 lbs. to a lift. This becomes esp. important when you get stuck at a certain weight.

Personally, without microplates I'm having a hard time making progress with my overhead press because 100 lbs. is okay for me but 105 lbs. is not quite there. I wouldn't mind having an in-between.

theblackkeys 03-21-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp -- Rippetoe's Starting Strength is very particular about linear progression so the goal is to increase the weight every workout, even if it's only by adding 2.5 lbs. to a lift. This becomes esp. important when you get stuck at a certain weight.

Personally, without microplates I'm having a hard time making progress with my overhead press because 100 lbs. is okay for me but 105 lbs. is not quite there. I wouldn't mind having an in-between.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, right now for me, deadlifts and squats are not hard to add 5 pounds at a time to. Bench and overhead press are hard for me jump like that.

How explosive is your overhead press?

skunkworks 03-21-2007 07:47 PM

I don't know if I would call it explosive, but it's as explosive as it's going to get until I start struggling at the end of a set and I have to push through a sticking point. Keep in mind that this is all done with zero leg movement whatsoever -- doing it with leg movement to help you get it up would make it a push press or something along those lines and would make it more explosive.

theblackkeys 03-21-2007 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I would call it explosive, but it's as explosive as it's going to get until I start struggling at the end of a set and I have to push through a sticking point. Keep in mind that this is all done with zero leg movement whatsoever -- doing it with leg movement to help you get it up would make it a push press or something along those lines and would make it more explosive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not consciously using leg power, but I'll have someone check. Just wondering, because my last workout was a bit more explosive than before.

theblackkeys 03-22-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not consciously using leg power, but I'll have someone check. Just wondering, because my last workout was a bit more explosive than before.

[/ QUOTE ]
UPDATE!

I forgot to post my stats in the OP. I'm about 5'9", 215 lbs. Pretty thick guy with most of my fat on my manboobs and gut.

My overhead presses were done without leg power. I moved up five pounds today, and hit a sticking point about halfway through the motion. It's probably because I had so much momentum last time, and didn't have to actually push through that part.

Anyways, here's today. Woke up late, drank a glass of milk and OJ before the workout.

3/22
S: 185x5x3. Last rep was hard.

P: 110x5x3. Hit a sticking point a couple times, but was able to push it through and lockout each rep. Gets a little squirrely when you can barely put it up. I did Overhead Press on tuesday, and did it today because the benches were in use, for curl exercises no less.

DL: 190x5x1. The down portion of the lift is getting too hard to do while maintaining a straight back. I think I'll just let go of it about 4 inches off the ground from now on. Thoughts?

I have barely touched the assistance exercises, which are dips and pullups. I'm not even sure I can do a pullup. I've done dips like twice, and couldn't do a set of 8. Anyone wanna make wagers on how many pullups I can do next workout?

Drank two scoops of Optimum nutrition double rich chocolate w/milk postworkout. Tastes good.

skunkworks 03-22-2007 06:24 PM

You may want to add some quicker-absorbing carbs to your post-workout shake. It's necessary for a number of reasons, including spiking your insulin levels, restoring your depleted glycogen stores, and helping your body get out of a catabolic state.

pre, during, post nutrition information. Of particular note is the claim that pre-workout nutrition being more important than post-workout. Interesting. Also seems to be backed up here.

Wu36 03-22-2007 07:00 PM

This program looks a little like the one Bill Starr advocated in "The Strongest Shall Survive". You can probably find most if not all of the stuff in there for free on the interwebs now but its worth the read if you're bored or just like that kinda stuff.

Also, check out this video if you're having trouble with squat form or anything like that.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744

Good luck with your goals.

theblackkeys 03-22-2007 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to add some quicker-absorbing carbs to your post-workout shake. It's necessary for a number of reasons, including spiking your insulin levels, restoring your depleted glycogen stores, and helping your body get out of a catabolic state.

pre, during, post nutrition information. Of particular note is the claim that pre-workout nutrition being more important than post-workout. Interesting. Also seems to be backed up here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that link. I've got dextrose, whey, and casein coming in the mail soon.

theblackkeys 03-22-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This program looks a little like the one Bill Starr advocated in "The Strongest Shall Survive". You can probably find most if not all of the stuff in there for free on the interwebs now but its worth the read if you're bored or just like that kinda stuff.

Also, check out this video if you're having trouble with squat form or anything like that.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81301858251744

Good luck with your goals.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe madcow's bill starr 5x5 site has the same program. This program is also recommended in Starting Strength under the programming section, for intermediate lifters. I'm still gaining every workout, so I'll stick with Starting Strength until I hit a wall. Thanks for the link.

AZK 03-24-2007 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that link. I've got dextrose, whey, and casein coming in the mail soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you planning on using these? Dextrose + whey pwo shake? Casein before bed? meal replacements? what? Give me a layout of your daily meals just cause I'm curious. Also what % bf? What ratios in the shakes will you be using?

Finally most important question of all, did you find a good/reliable site where you ordered all 3?

TxRedMan 03-24-2007 02:03 PM

The 45 LB plates in my gym are sooo awesome, they're from the 80's and they're old school thick rimmed iron. Anyways, one day me and my partner decided to weigh them for whatever reason, and they turned out to weigh 46.5 LBS.

Which meant our bench presses were 10 LB stronger than what we thought.

theblackkeys 03-24-2007 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you planning on using these? Dextrose + whey pwo shake? Casein before bed? meal replacements? what? Give me a layout of your daily meals just cause I'm curious. Also what % bf? What ratios in the shakes will you be using?

Finally most important question of all, did you find a good/reliable site where you ordered all 3?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the whey and dextrose is for post-workout in a 2:1 ratio dex/whey (in grams, not volume of scoop). I picked that up from guids, skunk et al. The casein is for before bed, and possibly other times not near a workout.

My eating is not very consistent, but it consists of mostly grocery food. I eat homemade sandwiches pretty often, as well as eggs. I don't eat fast food very often, but when I do, it's usually something decent like subway. I drink a decent amount of milk (skim), probably two gallons a week. Diet soda is a staple in my diet. I've been eating almonds for snacking recently instead of buying baked chips or something. I also eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches pretty often.

What's my bodyfat? I have no idea, but it's probably near the obese range. I don't really care much at this point though. I plan on doing some HIIT to lose fat and look better, but I don't want to disrupt the progress I'm seeing in my lifting right now.

I ordered from bulknutrition.com, I'll let you know whether it's reliable when I receive my order.

Wu36 03-24-2007 04:44 PM

1fast400 (1fast = bulknutrition) is certainly reliable, great site.

theblackkeys 03-25-2007 05:01 AM

I'm considering doing some tabata type work to lose some blubber. On sunday, I am scheduled to do squats, overhead press and power cleans as part of my "starting strength" workouts. Should I do some tabata sprints (20 sec sprint, 10 sec rest, eight times) immediately after my workout, or should I do these on a non-workout day? One article on t-nation suggested doing front squats with light weight in the same manner as tabata sprints. I'd actually like to start running again instead though.

I'd like to keep my progress going on the basic lifts at the same time.

AZK 03-25-2007 12:26 PM

non-lifting days. I too am basically doing the SS workout MWF and trying to do a crossfit metcon workout tu/thurs. I'm lucky if I get 1 or 2 of those in cause I am normally spent from the lifting..but I'm not sleeping as much as I could be.

cbloom 03-25-2007 01:08 PM

One problem I'm having with SS is doing the heavy squats every single workout, I feel like I'm really using up my leg power. I'd like to do some running/biking/etc. on the off days, but 1) I'm so sore from the squats it's hard to even do it, and 2) if I do some hard leg cardio I feel like it takes away from my squat the next day.

Colt McCoy 03-25-2007 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One problem I'm having with SS is doing the heavy squats every single workout, I feel like I'm really using up my leg power. I'd like to do some running/biking/etc. on the off days, but 1) I'm so sore from the squats it's hard to even do it, and 2) if I do some hard leg cardio I feel like it takes away from my squat the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not familiar with the SS reoutines, but you might try some form of microperiodization like Starr's program that has heavy/light/medium days throughout the week.

AZK 03-25-2007 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really doing SS, just sort of. Basically 5x5 or 6x3 MWF a pull exercise (almost always some form of pull up), a push exercise, and then I do 2 leg exercises consisting of squats/dl/lunges on a rotation....so M squat/dl, W, dl/lunge, F, lunge/squat, rinse repeat...might give you some freedom... I probably don't need extra exercsies but I don't really feel like I kill myself on only 1 push or pull exercise so I will normally throw in a varied row and weighted dips, if I really want to kill myself. I wrap up with some ab work and this pretty much kills me. I can't do a lot of the crossfit workouts, but for now I want to get stronger so I can actually complete a few of them rather than always having to cut them down.

Hendricks433 03-25-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The down portion of the lift is getting too hard to do while maintaining a straight back. I think I'll just let go of it about 4 inches off the ground from now on. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ] I just drop it. Kind of sucks because my gym has all iron weights but I dont care. Once you lift it your done with the lift so you can let it go. Step back though because once I wore shorts instead of pants and the bar nicked my shin and it wasnt pleasant.

theblackkeys 03-25-2007 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How long have you been doing heavy squats three times a week? I adapted pretty quickly to the every-other-day schedule, and only get minor soreness the day after. I actually don't feel spent at all on off days, just a little sore.

theblackkeys 03-25-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The down portion of the lift is getting too hard to do while maintaining a straight back. I think I'll just let go of it about 4 inches off the ground from now on. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ] I just drop it. Kind of sucks because my gym has all iron weights but I dont care. Once you lift it your done with the lift so you can let it go. Step back though because once I wore shorts instead of pants and the bar nicked my shin and it wasnt pleasant.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll have to bring an extra towel to soften the landings, don't want to interrupt anyone doing curls.

cbloom 03-25-2007 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How long have you been doing heavy squats three times a week? I adapted pretty quickly to the every-other-day schedule, and only get minor soreness the day after. I actually don't feel spent at all on off days, just a little sore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just started like 3 weeks ago so hopefully I'll get used to it.

theblackkeys 03-26-2007 12:23 AM

3/25

Crap workout. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night and had to work all day. Ate burger king for dinner last night AND for lunch today. Blech.

I've got a little soreness in my left shoulder, probably from my first day of power cleans. I decided to forego my upper body workout today to allow my joints to heal.

Squats: 3x5x190. On the fifth rep of sets 1 and 2, I got a little loose on the bottom and lost my trunk tightness, which made me lose momentum. I probably should have let the bar fall off at that point, but I powered through it. I think I wasn't leaned over enough, causing my balance to shift from the middle of my foot to my heels. Last set was good, but pretty damn hard.

Overhead press: During warmups, shoulder pain did not go away, so I skipped the presses. I worked on racking the bar on my deltoids with my elbows pointing forward. The bar damn near chokes me in the process when I do it.

Power Cleans: I brought Starting Strength to the gym to help me remember the coaching cues for the power clean. I used an empty bar to practice sliding the bar up and down my thighs and sticking my butt back. I'm having a hard time making the bar slide against my thighs when I start the movement from the bottom, but I have no problem when the bar is in the hang position and I lower it. Also, the "jump" part feels a little awkward and uncoordinated.

Because I didn't do any work sets for power cleans, I did deadlifts to compensate.
DL: 1x5x195

Not sure what I should do on tuesday as far as upperbody workout goes.

theblackkeys 03-28-2007 12:58 AM

3/27
Pretty good workout, although I had to drop my upper-body portion due to shoulder pain. I don't think I will be able to do it on thursday either.

Squats:
warmed up
3x5x195-It gets harder every time. I'm moving real slow at the bottom as well. Should I keep on adding 5 lbs or use microloading?

Skipped bench/overhead press.

Deadlifts:
1x5x200. Woot! made 200. I know that's super weak. Anyways, this was a lot easier than sunday's workout @ 195lbs. I think it's because there was only a 2-day break instead of 4-5 days like normal.

Knee's still feel good. No soreness around the knees, and very rarely do I get the pulled muscle feeling. That occured occasionaly, after running, for instance, before I started weightlifting. There's no pain associated with that and I think it has happened less frequently since I've been stretching.

skunkworks 03-28-2007 02:28 AM

theblackkeys - keep adding 5-10 lbs. until you drop a rep on the squats.

theblackkeys 03-29-2007 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theblackkeys - keep adding 5-10 lbs. until you drop a rep on the squats.

[/ QUOTE ]
Done.

3/29
Still have soreness in a little spot on my shoulder, so I'm skipping some upper body movements. I hope it's not serious.

Squats: 3x5x200. I was able to get further down as well, which is good. Static stretching seems to be paying off. I had one really bad rep where I started drifting forward on the way up.

Deadlifts: 1x5x205. This was harder than tuesday's pull.

Pullups on that assistance machine thingy. I had it set to 100 lbs (is that 100 lbs of assistance?), anyways, did 6 reps, rested like 40 seconds, and did 4 reps. Went home. I'm such a fatty, can't even do a single pullup.

What is it called when the palms are facing away? Facing me? Which should I be doing?

I think I'm going to do HIIT tomorrow.

cbloom 03-30-2007 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Squats: 3x5x200. I was able to get further down as well, which is good. Static stretching seems to be paying off. I had one really bad rep where I started drifting forward on the way up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever watch Dan John's video? I've started doing "goblet squats" and "potato sack squats" with no weight just as a stretching/warmup move and it's definitely improving my flexibility and form.

[ QUOTE ]

What is it called when the palms are facing away? Facing me? Which should I be doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Facing away is "standard" or "military", facing you is "reverse" or "curl" grip. Both have their application, facing away works the lats more, facing you works the bicep more. The FAQs on Starting Strength say which type of pullup to do, I forget which it was. "Standard" is definitely harder for most people.

theblackkeys 03-31-2007 04:30 AM

You know, I've started watching that video several times but I never get to the good parts. I'll check that out again.

theblackkeys 04-01-2007 10:36 PM

4/1

Shoulder feels a little better but it still needs rest. Pullups don't hurt my shoulder, but pulling off the floor exercises do, like rows and power cleans.

Squats: 3x5x205
Pull ups (palms facing forward): with 130 lbs of assistance (I weigh 215 lbs), I did 2x8. I've never really done pullups in my life, so I'll just take it slow for now.
Deadlifts: 1x5x210

I'm doing HIIT tomorrow.

theblackkeys 04-03-2007 10:47 PM

Okay, well I didn't do any HIIT yesterday, but I did swim a little.

Shoulder doesn't really hurt, but I know it needs some rest. Maybe next week I'll get back to doing presses and rows.

4/3
Squats: 3x5x210
Pullups: 2x8x125
Deadlifts: 1x5x215

Good workout.

theblackkeys 04-06-2007 12:15 AM

I skipped my heavy lifting workout today. I think about two weeks worth of basically just squats and deadlifts every other day was going to burn me out. I was dreading my heavy workout all day.

I did do some jogging at the park today, about 2 miles. It was pretty difficult, but I haven't run in months, so it's ok to work up to more speed/distance. Many times before I've gone too fast too far and I end up aggravating my shin splints or hurting my injury prone ankle.

I'm sure my weight had something to do with the difficulty too. My legs felt real tight, and I could feel my front outer thigh muscle get sore, I think it's called the Vastus Lateralis (Externus). Anyways, I took a little break in between to stretch myself out and let the muscles recuperate a little.

Afterwards, I took my wife's two purple 8 lb dumbells and did a tabata squat workout with them. I've never done this and it was extremely difficult near the end.

20 seconds of squats holding dumbells near my upper chest, 10 seconds rest. Repeat for 4 minutes total.

Reps each set were:
14, 14, 9, 8, 8, 5!, 6, 6.

SmileyEH 04-06-2007 10:02 AM

blackkeys,

for tabata routines your "score" is the lowest number of reps in a set, so try and pace yourself somewhat.

theblackkeys 04-07-2007 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
blackkeys,

for tabata routines your "score" is the lowest number of reps in a set, so try and pace yourself somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm really out of shape. This was also the first time doing this. Shouldn't I just go as hard as I can each set?