Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   villain's range ? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=470506)

rafiki 08-06-2007 10:14 AM

villain\'s range ?

I raise AJo in a 6 handed 10/20 game online from UTG

only the blinds call, with no reads.

Flop 472, no flush draw. sb donks, bb folds, I raise, sb calls

turn 4 (puts out a flush draw). sb donks again, I...

I mostly wonder what holdings he's got. What are people donking in this spot ? weak 7 ? does he bet his 4 to avoid having it checked through ?

sharpie 08-06-2007 10:22 AM

Re: villain\'s range ?

Usually a made hand that isn't a 4, could be a draw although there aren't many on this board. Don't see any point in the flop raise.

rafiki 08-06-2007 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually a made hand that isn't a 4, could be a draw although there aren't many on this board. Don't see any point in the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously ? 75% of the time that's getting me a free card on the turn, my intention is to check through if I wiff. Nobody does that with overs ?

sharpie 08-06-2007 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody does that with overs ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think too many people do it in bad spots, that's less reason to use it.

dangerfish 08-06-2007 11:16 AM

the raise is not bad.

londomollari 08-06-2007 11:35 AM

More often that not you're giving the free card.

rafiki 08-06-2007 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that it's all the more useful with one person to act behind me so I'm knocking them out with 2 cold. But even heads up the raise has merit in my game. My hand plays itself face up if I'm just calling there.

sharpie 08-06-2007 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that it's all the more useful with one person to act behind me so I'm knocking them out with 2 cold. But even heads up the raise has merit in my game. My hand plays itself face up if I'm just calling there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually wait for the turn with made hands in this spot, so I don't have to worry about giving away my hand by calling. I guess it's partly a style thing, but against an unknown I stand by my opinion that a free card play is pointless even if you raise the flop with made hands (he doesn't know you do this)

kiddo 08-06-2007 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My hand plays itself face up if I'm just calling there.

[/ QUOTE ]

U cant mean u always raise flop if u think u are ahead when the other guy is donking?

If a good/decent player who raised preflop raised me when I donked this flop I wouldnt put him on an overpair. Why wouldnt he wait and see what I do on turn before raising?

If u normally raise with overs against donkers, all thinking players will start to donk-3bet u pretty lightly, specially on flops like this one. Raising with overs is best against somewhat passive players that are ready to pay u when u hit.

rafiki 08-06-2007 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My hand plays itself face up if I'm just calling there.

[/ QUOTE ]

U cant mean u always raise flop if u think u are ahead when the other guy is donking?

If a good/decent player who raised preflop raised me when I donked this flop I wouldnt put him on an overpair. Why wouldnt he wait and see what I do on turn before raising?

If u normally raise with overs against donkers, all thinking players will start to donk-3bet u pretty lightly, specially on flops like this one. Raising with overs is best against somewhat passive players that are ready to pay u when u hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I *just* sat at the table against an unknown. We're talking about a very basic set of opening plays I do before we ever get into established reads and any kind of meta game...
Also nothig helps me more then showing down that I raised overs in this case. It's all used to create the image I want.