Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Why I don't reraise with AK preflop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=248898)

redCashion 10-31-2006 01:41 AM

Why I don\'t reraise with AK preflop

This might literally be the first non-tournament setting where I have reraised with AK in the preflop. I actually am sort of opposed to the idea on principle because I don't like getting that much money in with an unmade hand, but I'd seen it espoused alot in other forums (I think especially while browsing MSNL). But if you don't hit, and your cbet doesn't take it down, you've essentially dumped a great deal of BB into a losing cause.

Thoughts, anyone else making good use of this technique?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($24.55)
BB ($155.55)
UTG ($37.30)
MP ($50)
Hero ($56.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $0.75.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP (poster) raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $5.50.

Flop: ($16) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12.5</font>, MP calls $12.50.

Turn: ($41) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $29.75 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Reid L 10-31-2006 01:49 AM

Re: Why I don\'t reraise with AK preflop

Youre always gonna miss flops. I just hate the idea of letting a J4 hit.

Leviathan101 10-31-2006 01:52 AM

Yes that's true. Usually you dump a lot of chips if both your raise and your C-bet get called.

However in my experience, usually your raise and c-bet DON'T get called. A lot of players at micro limits seem to have a lot of respect for a 3 bet, and usually assign the same range to your 3 bet, that they would 3 bet themselves. Then when you c-bet the flop, i think AK flies out hte window because "No way he's betting that big with AK here." I think you just ran into a donk that can't fold AJ here. It happens, but reraising AK preflop is good because you take down a lot of pots right there, the c-bet usually works, and it opens your 3 betting range making it harder for players to identify your big hands.

demon102 10-31-2006 02:00 AM

I used to think along the same lines of u in terms of 3 betting with AK but like leviathan said u will usually take the pot preflop or on the flop with a c-bet. Another great thing about this play is that in the long run it will help u get more action on ur big pairs when u 3-bet with JJ-AA and if u like to 3 bet with 1010 that hand too. Dont think in the short term of the small amount of BB ur gonna lose but more of the long run where ur opponent will put u on AK and pay u of with a lesser hand. With more experience u will figure out how u can play these hands for more profit.

carnivalhobo 10-31-2006 02:02 AM

reraising a wider range increases variance, you will have many more ups and downs per session in the form of 50-100bb, if you play well it ends up making you more money, but it can be unnerving at first when you drop a buyin or 5 right off the bat. keep repoping AK, its good i promise.

orange 10-31-2006 02:48 AM

This can be fine at these levels. But as you move up, 3-betting plays a very very important role in your development as a player, and should become a crucial part of your arsenal. I would probably suggest waiting until 100nl before starting to 3-bet a bit more frequently PF.

I would keep reraising AK pf. Its a good hand. Decent enough place to start in your 3-betting quest.

redCashion 10-31-2006 03:06 AM

I 3bet with QQ+ (sometimes JJ). I can see opening up the range as being usefuul, but I think at these levels I don't have to worry about opening up my range for the sake of getting play on the better hands. I don't think people are paying that close attention to my range since there is alot of variety in who I play at tables.

But one of my favorite things about AK is that at these levels people often overplay AQ and AJ. So I like to smooth call and try to stack those people off after the flop. Probably as play improves that becomes less useful.

orange 10-31-2006 03:27 AM

at these levels, having a wide 3-betting range isn't too big of an issue (and probably spew). but as stated, try to open up your game a little bit as you go up.

MortenTA 10-31-2006 03:31 AM

I thinks you played this hand fine

carnivalhobo 10-31-2006 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3bet with QQ+ (sometimes JJ). I can see opening up the range as being usefuul, but I think at these levels I don't have to worry about opening up my range for the sake of getting play on the better hands. I don't think people are paying that close attention to my range since there is alot of variety in who I play at tables.

But one of my favorite things about AK is that at these levels people often overplay AQ and AJ. So I like to smooth call and try to stack those people off after the flop. Probably as play improves that becomes less useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really should be 3betting JJ for value pure and simple. I would suggest as you become more comfortable playing in reraised pots you quickly add TT and AK to the "almost always 3bet" grouping. I agree with orange though, you dont need to bet reraising suited connectors or whatever for deception yet, but being able to be comfortable in reraised pots will be very valuable as you move up.