Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Did this guy just put me to a decision? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=90477)

A_PLUS 04-18-2006 10:28 AM

Did this guy just put me to a decision?

Party 20K, about 500 left, 200 or so pay. Average stack 12K
I have folded a MP raise to a call and a push, and called a push over a LP raise with TT.

Villan has been tight, and unremarkable, but it has only been 30 hands or so.

200/400
Hero has 9.6K behind to start
Folded to Hero in CO, raise to 1000
Villan (21K) reraises from the BB to 2800

In my experience at this level, this is either a feeler semi-bluff, or a big hand (AA-TT, AQ+).

What is your range to
-Call and play the flop with position?
-Push?
-Fold?

rockin 04-18-2006 10:37 AM

Re: Did this guy just put me to a decision?

[ QUOTE ]
...this is either a feeler semi-bluff, or a big hand (AA-TT, AQ+)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that pretty much narrows it down to almost any hand all the way down to middle suited connectors.

Given your stack size:

call and see a flop - AQ, TT-77
push - JJ+, AK
fold - everything else

Didn't really spend a lot of time thinking about this, as I would probably tweak these ranges some, but given that your stack size is roughly 20xbb, I really hate being REraised here and now pretty much feel like I don't want to be put in the redzone or busto by any postflop activity, so here I'm either getting it allin preflop, on the flop or folding preflop or on the flop (unless I flop huge). I just don't see any room for turn or river play unless we think it can be checked down (which i hate also).

Spee 04-18-2006 10:44 AM

- Calling and playing the flop with anything that isn't a weakish steal hand.
- Pushing with nothing. If I have a strong hand like AA or KK, then I want to keep opponent in the hand. If I think I'm behind then I want to see a flop. If the opponent is on a resteal, then it is probably worth the risk to keep him in the hand.
- Folding only with a weakish steal hand.

A_PLUS 04-18-2006 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, that pretty much narrows it down to almost any hand all the way down to middle suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this isnt what I meant. I would be very suprised if this was a speculative hand like a suited connector. What I meant by a semi-bluff hand, is a 'good' heads up hand like A8s, KQ, etc.

Spee 04-18-2006 11:02 AM

You need to make an assessment of the likelihood of the opponent making a resteal in this situation. Is it 100%, 50%, 5%?

The higher the percentage chance of opponent trying a resteal, then the wider your calling range. The decisions and ranges come down to your read on the opponent.

Given what you have said, opponent is fairly unlikely to try a resteal, maybe no more than 5-10%. Therefore, my calling range would have to pretty decent, like suited cards, connectors, suited connectors, an Ace or King above 7 or 8, etc., or better.

tedtodd 04-18-2006 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is your range to
-Push?
-Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a big PF reraise...the worst hand I see him having here is TT or JJ. The biggest threat is that he has been 'unremarkable' and that this hasn't been a standard steal play for him, which makes me think he has a strong hand.

He raised more than a quarter of your stack. So I'm not a big fan of a call unless I have something powerful. I think it's a probably a push/fold situation, but a could get fancy with a big hand and call.

I'm sensing some serious strength, and based on the limited info on this player, you need to tighten up for this one.
-Call- QQ+
-Push- AK

If I'd seen him do this a few times before, then I'm pushing 99+ and AQ+.

A_PLUS 04-18-2006 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a big PF reraise...the worst hand I see him having here is TT or JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the raise amount is pretty standard in that spot.

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest threat is that he has been 'unremarkable' and that this hasn't been a standard steal play for him, which makes me think he has a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
In 30 hands, even a total agro donkey can be unremarkable. For all I know, this is the first time someone has tried to steal his blinds.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had seen him do this a few times, I would be pushing with every hand I would open raise with, and it would be much wider than 99+, AQ+

dmk 04-18-2006 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your range to

[/ QUOTE ]
KK/AA,22-99

[ QUOTE ]

-Push?

[/ QUOTE ]
JJ/QQ/AK, maybe TT

[ QUOTE ]

-Fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
everything else

rockin 04-18-2006 12:15 PM

A couple of posters have mentioned just calling with AA and KK. I think both of these hands are pushes. Not only do these hands play well heads up (obviously), but if villain wants to fold his "resteal", then this has HUGE metagame implications, as villain (and some of the other players too) will not be looking to resteal any time soon. Add to this that is is not likely villain is going to fold after REraising, unless he was on a REsteal. I think calling may be more immediately +EV, but pushing I think is the more long term +EV.

tedtodd 04-18-2006 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a big PF reraise...the worst hand I see him having here is TT or JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the raise amount is pretty standard in that spot.
<font color="red"> I think it's pretty standard when he has a large hand, otherwise I think he's just calling. </font>

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest threat is that he has been 'unremarkable' and that this hasn't been a standard steal play for him, which makes me think he has a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
In 30 hands, even a total agro donkey can be unremarkable. For all I know, this is the first time someone has tried to steal his blinds.
<font color="red"> Which means you don't have a read- therefore it 's very difficult to put him on a hand-so you must assume he holds a strong hand. It may not be worth risking your tournament life with bad call. </font>
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had seen him do this a few times, I would be pushing with every hand I would open raise with, and it would be much wider than 99+, AQ+

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="red"> Agreed. </font>