Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   who does tOSU play in the title game? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=559018)

ArcticKnight 12-02-2007 02:52 AM

Re: who does tOSU play in the title game?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
USC and LSU were #1 and #2 at the start of the season. They played in the toughest conferences in the nation, and nothing has changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere in there USC lost to Stanford. I swear this happened, whether you acknowledge it as meaningful or not. So yes, things did change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. People write off this USC loss as a fluke and I agree it was a fluke. But it did indeed happen and USC should be punished for it accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is extremely, extremely relevant. But their other loss was to the best team in the nation...in a really close game. They played a tough schedule, and if we had a playoff tomorrow, I'm willing to bet that they'd be the favorites. Is that irrelevant?

[/ QUOTE ]

USC did not play tough schedule. It was not a top 20 shcedule or anything like that. I think it was 33rd or something.

Assani Fisher 12-02-2007 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No, in most years they wouldn't get the NT game because most years there are two more deserving teams. Therefore I don't think it would be a problem. Moreover, can't your same argument be applied against Ohio St? I fail to see much of a difference. Look at Oh St's out of conference schedule. The only reason Ohio St is in is because they were higher in the preseason polls which is complete BS.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with preseason rankings. A lot of people liked Hawaii in the preseason. What it has to do with is Hawaii playing a terrible terrible schedule that makes Ohio State's schedule look like an NFL schedule by comparison. Boise State was the only Top 50 team that Hawaii played this year. By comparison, Ohio State played 5 Top 50 teams. 4-1 > 1-0 in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I AGREE!

So lets give Hawaii a really tough game and find out!

ClarkNasty 12-02-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you basically never have a clear cut champion in any sport

[/ QUOTE ]

"clear cut" might have been a poor choice of words. What I'm trying to avoid is another situation like last year where Boise St won every game, beat a solid team in a bowl, and a one loss team walked away with the title. To me that seems unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are in the extreme minority, as evidenced by Hawaii's ranking in the polls, where the voters are highly cognizant that their vote impacts who can play for the championsihp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really arguing based on this point? Thats like me saying that a football decision made in game must be right because the entire coaching staff took a time out to think about it, and since they're paid professionals they obviously know what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but what I am suggesting is that I no longer feel the need to debate something that is both painfully obvious, and also accepted by the vast majority. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Victor 12-02-2007 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sagarin elo-chess doesnt take mov into acct. pls read the link. also, i dont think the bcs computers use mov either.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi assani

MyTurn2Raise 12-02-2007 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
assani, if osu is so undeserving why do the computers rank them so high? there was no preseason bias from the computers.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

because the computers take margin of victory greatly into consideration, so that a team is rewarded for running up the score. If you eliminate this and just rank each game as "win" or "loss" and then look at Ohio St vs Hawaii I think it'll tell a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right and wrong

while sagarin's rankings there use margin of victory,
the computer rankings used for the BCS do not and are not allowed to use margin of victory

ty for trying

Assani Fisher 12-02-2007 02:56 AM

Basically what I'm saying is that:

-Crap, Team A was a very deserving team and perhaps the best team in the nation but we never gave them a shot to prove it

is a much bigger mistake than...

-Crap, this team wasn't good after all and it made for a poor national title game, but we still ended up with a worthy one loss Ohio St team as national champs

Maybe this isn't true for ratings, dollars earned(which is what it comes down to I'm afraid), or entertainment value but I'm not concerned with those. I'm concerned with fairness.

BigPoppa 12-02-2007 02:57 AM

Honestly, I liked the old system better.
I have no problem with multiple teams all claiming to be national champs. It's much better than one game getting declared the NC game and the winner getting crowned even if they back into the game and barely squeek out a victory while a team likely just as good and with the same record wins their game by a blowout and can't even be considered for the Championship.

Assani Fisher 12-02-2007 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sagarin elo-chess doesnt take mov into acct. pls read the link. also, i dont think the bcs computers use mov either.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi assani

[/ QUOTE ]

what link?

Barretboy 12-02-2007 02:58 AM

Espn just showed a chart of the top 9 teams and how many teams they've beaten and have winning records.

Top was VT with 6
Bottom was USC and Kansas with 2

Victor 12-02-2007 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi assani

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm

what link?

[/ QUOTE ]