Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   poker for a living (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398797)

BTMegaCash 05-09-2007 01:27 AM

poker for a living

is there a certain amount of money that is considered enough to make a run at playing poker professionally...obv i am not ready to do that as of now but it will give me some sort of goal to shoot for within the next couple years

ike 05-09-2007 03:08 AM

Re: poker for a living

its totally possible to start playing with no money and build a bankroll from freerolls. but i wouldn't quit my job until i had at least several thousand dollars to commit to poker plus my living expenses for at least 6 months taken care of.

JPantz 05-09-2007 07:58 AM

I've always heard the 6 months thing. I've always figured that it's possible to win a smaller tournament and if you get like $30,000+ you could essentially quit your job and be a "pro". Lots of people don't even make 30 grand in a year. I feel like being a pro really isn't hard necessarily. Being a good pro and making mad bank and being consistent is the hard part.

jsmith5 05-09-2007 08:59 AM

A lot. I see good players go broke all the time. It's a tough life. I wouldn't do it if I were you until I paid my next 6 months rent in advance. (or even a year)

BTMegaCash 05-09-2007 11:45 AM

yea thats what i was thinking probably 10K in the bank and 15-25K in the bank roll

stephenNUTS 05-09-2007 12:05 PM

First of all TO MAKE A LIVING playing poker(thats rent,food,health bills, car expenses,insurance,and everything else,etc)is obviously dependent on what stakes/ability you have to begin with!

Just implying a generic "B/R of 10K............and 20K in the bank",just aint gonna' cut it for the OP.There are TOO many more variables to address!

Just being honest

TEKEE 05-09-2007 01:26 PM

just because you take down 50K for 1st in a tourney does not mean you will recieve the entire 50K,say hello to the IRS.dont you love the government.

rgold79 05-09-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always heard the 6 months thing. I've always figured that it's possible to win a smaller tournament and if you get like $30,000+ you could essentially quit your job and be a "pro". Lots of people don't even make 30 grand in a year. I feel like being a pro really isn't hard necessarily. Being a good pro and making mad bank and being consistent is the hard part.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many people who crash and burn after a big tournament score because it leads them to overestimate their own skills. To do it successfully you really need to demonstrate that you can win consistently over a long term. If you're grinding at 1-2NL, winning 25K in a tournament does not suddenly mean that you can beat 10-20.

kassdog 05-11-2007 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many people who crash and burn after a big tournament score because it leads them to overestimate their own skills. To do it successfully you really need to demonstrate that you can win consistently over a long term. If you're grinding at 1-2NL, winning 25K in a tournament does not suddenly mean that you can beat 10-20.

[/ QUOTE ]

AKA Chris Moneymaker

johnnyrocket 05-11-2007 10:56 AM

yea have money aside for rent and such, its not too tough to make a good living online/slash live if u are a pretty good player

its tough to make it to the levels where you're making a few hundred thousand - millions a year level