Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Showing One Card (after everyone has folded) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536825)

KenProspero 11-02-2007 10:08 AM

Showing One Card (after everyone has folded)

The other night at Canterbury

Player raises on the river -- everyone folds. Winner then shows one card (an ace) meaning he had paired the board. Another player said -- you have to show both cards, and the dealer agreed. Player showed the second card, and the game went on without incident.

This obviously ISN'T 'show one show all'. The player next to me said he thought it was some kind of anti-taunting rule.

I'd never really thought about it, but is this rule the norm? Is there any other rationale?

The best I can come up with is that so many people misinterpret SOSA, that places make it the rule in this situation to keep the game moving.

punkass 11-02-2007 10:15 AM

Re: Showing One Card (after everyone has folded)

I believe this is a misinterpretation of show one show all. I don't think you are forced to show the other card if you show one by any rule.

AngusThermopyle 11-02-2007 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe this is a misinterpretation of show one show all. I don't think you are forced to show the other card if you show one by any rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It is a separate rule that some clubs have instituted. As mentioned, it is usually with 'anti-taunting' as a justification.

JackInDaCrak 11-02-2007 11:32 AM

At a home game, I raised some girl off of her AQ on a Qxx board, and I showed my Q. Her boyfriend reached over and flipped my 2nd card from the muck, claiming the "show one show all" rule. I almost got in a fistfight with him over this exact situation.

IMO this is NOT the spirit nor the letter of that rule. If they want to see cards that you don't want them to see, they have to pay for it.

SellingtheDrama 11-02-2007 11:39 AM

ugh stupid WSOP rules migrating East....no offense but I hope they stop where you are.

AngusThermopyle 11-02-2007 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At a home game, I raised some girl off of her AQ on a Qxx board, and I showed my Q. Her boyfriend reached over and flipped my 2nd card from the muck, claiming the "show one show all" rule. I almost got in a fistfight with him over this exact situation.

IMO this is NOT the spirit nor the letter of that rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are two different rules.
"Show one or more players your hand, all players are allowed to see your hand"
"Show one card from your hand, you must show both cards"

fishyak 11-02-2007 12:02 PM

Not at Commerce. I've seen at least 3 people try to use SOSA to force players to show their 2nd card. All have been denied. They showed their one card to all. Apparently no separate anti-taunting rule in effect there.

Milo 11-02-2007 12:34 PM

This is the rule at CP. If you show one card, the dealer will expose your other card ON REQUEST from another player in the game. He will not expose the second card automatically.

mntndrew 11-02-2007 12:35 PM

Slightly different question, but if there's an actual showdown, though, you have to show down both cards, right?

Situation: P1 bets, P2 calls. P1 shows top pair but doesn't show kicker.

Or, O8, P1 bets, P2 calls, P1 says he doesn't have low and tables the two cards for his high hand.

You have to show all your cards at an actual showdown, don't you? Or can you do this if P2 mucks without contest if the shown cards are enough?

psandman 11-02-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to show all your cards at an actual showdown, don't you? Or can you do this if P2 mucks without contest if the shown cards are enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously your opponent no longer has cards you don't have to show yours. However that is subject to a player invoking the IWTSH or show one card show both rules if the room has those rules.