Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   raising for a free showdown? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=461053)

Blue Lagoon 07-26-2007 02:56 AM

raising for a free showdown?

SB is quite loose and aggressive.

Open-raise in CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
both blinds call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Both blinds check. I bet. SB check-raises. BB folds. I call.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets. Hero? raises? calls?

TheHip41 07-26-2007 03:07 AM

Re: raising for a free showdown?

i just call here. I raise a club or 9, or A river though.

On the turn, if you are ahead, he has like 1 or 2 outs, why do you want him to fold?

Blue Lagoon 07-26-2007 03:29 AM

I want him to call and check the river. Then I can check behind unimproved (he could have an ace with a better kicker).
And I bet if I catch aces up or a flush. So I win or lose the same amount UI but I win an extra bet if I improve.

What do you think?

NinaWilliams 07-26-2007 03:50 AM

I think you still usually get an extra bet when you improve. Getting 3 bet on the turn isnt very fun, and I dont want to let him off the hook if hes making some retarded bluff or has like a weak pair like 8T K7 etc.

Blue Lagoon 07-26-2007 04:16 AM

In fact, this example is from Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker (King Yao), p.210, "Raising on the turn for a free SD".

And I don't really understand why he wants to raise this turn.

Kazuma 07-26-2007 04:19 AM

Would villan not 3 bet AK-AT preflop?

Oink 07-26-2007 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, this example is from Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker (King Yao), p.210, "Raising on the turn for a free SD".

And I don't really understand why he wants to raise this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been thinking about buying that book. Now I dont want to. I think raise/folding is pretty terrible!

The pot is 5 BB before the turn so if Hero gets 3-bet he will get 10:1. With 5 outs againt K8, 6 outs against A8, 9 out against A2 and considering that Hero is ahead of A7-A3 folding for 1 BB in a 10BB pot is so damn terrible.

OP. Are you sure Yao wants to raise/fold and not raise/call?

Blue Lagoon 07-26-2007 04:37 AM

No, obviously Yao wants to raise/call because we have the nut flush draw. I think that, in this forum, when we say "raising for a free SD", it means folding to a 3-bet, because we normally make this play when we don't have a lot of outs.
But not in this case.

By the way, this book is excellent. I think everybody would say that (and good review from Malmuth).
I just post this example because this one seems strange for me.

Oink 07-26-2007 04:43 AM

LOL yeah I missed the nfd.

Ok so still wanna buy the book.

BTW as I understand raising for a free SD its raising turn in position and folding to a 3-bet or river donk (UI).

sethypooh21 07-26-2007 05:03 AM

Vs. the described villain, a SD bound lag, I actually like this - he's got Kx tons, but will shut down on the river UI or if a club falls a lot, but will call down from a turn raise.