Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   BLUFF no. 2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=541222)

MikeMcQ1 11-08-2007 10:14 AM

BLUFF no. 2

Nothing noteworthy about villain...
FYI, This is not the bubble, 2 spots pay in this 6-man STT.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (4 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t860)
Button (t2080)
Hero (t3770)
BB (t2290)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: (t100) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>,

Also,
any more comments on this:

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think of this statement:

If you never bluffed in a STT, you could be doing just fine

[/ QUOTE ]

---------------------------------------

If anyone has wanted to get some advice on an attempted bluff, but didn't want the scorn and wrath of the forum brought upon them, PM me the hand and I'll post it and take the heat. Bluffs can be sort of a personal part of your game that you don't want other players knowing about.

RexWoo 11-08-2007 10:56 AM

Re: BLUFF no. 2

This looks goods to me. You're not risking your entire stack, you have the big stack (not him) and he is betting close to any 2 after you checked 2 times.

I don't think he calls here without a strong Q or a 7 and if he has it you will known soon enough usually.

Q.. 11-08-2007 11:02 AM

I don't think its awful , but i think your risk /award here is a little too bad, you could aswell raise 300 or 250 here i think to achieve same goal.

And I bluff quite often in sngs in big or small ways, i think it allows to gain some extra chips in spots where otherwise pot would be lost, and if ppl know you bluff you also gain more EV when your strong hands are paid of better.

Everyone gets same cards so bluffs would make difference between better players, playing perfect ICM can be automated and against it you would require to bluff to gain any edge. If you know ICM better then the field you will win ofcourse but that is just temporal, until they learn.

IMO.

DDBeast 11-08-2007 03:35 PM

I agree with Q that a smaller raise is equally efficient (or even more efficient depending on the opponent). Looks good.
And as to the bluffing statement, yes I think you could do just fine without bluffing, depending on how you define bluffing (including c-bets?). Although, obviously if you can bluff well in the right spots you will have a higher ROI.

DevinLake 11-08-2007 03:35 PM

Looks good to me.

MikeMcQ1 11-08-2007 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Q that a smaller raise is equally efficient (or even more efficient depending on the opponent). Looks good.
And as to the bluffing statement, yes I think you could do just fine without bluffing, depending on how you define bluffing (including c-bets?). Although, obviously if you can bluff well in the right spots you will have a higher ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the bluffing part I'd referred to in "Bluffing part 1" is early-game post-flop deepish bluffs not including c-bets, HU, or bubble pwning-type scenarios.

Little John 11-08-2007 05:50 PM

that flop is so dry i would just lead 75 chips. it is a really good flop for a complete/steal.

bluff looks fine just because the board is so dry and villian probably bets a queen on the flop.

and i agree with the statement that you never need to bluff to do very well in sng's (at least at $114 and below). deepstack postflop bluffing is such a tiny part of the game that it really does not matter at the medium stakes.

wiggs73 11-08-2007 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that flop is so dry i would just lead 75 chips. it is a really good flop for a complete/steal.

bluff looks fine just because the board is so dry and villian probably bets a queen on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotty_12 11-08-2007 06:29 PM

Mike

Ive been saving up all of my bluffs from the last few weeks and would love to post some, ones that went good and the ones that went bad

As far as 'if you never bluff..' I think it probably matters far more to mix things up a bit at the higher levels where sometimes half of the table can be players you run into regularly

MikeMcQ1 11-08-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fer sure. At the time I may have already completed and led a couple times already or somn and didn't feel comfortable to do it yet again. But felt T9 was too good to just fold.