Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes MTT (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Stars $1k bluff, kind of spewy but against a nit, thoughts? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519451)

Bond18 10-09-2007 10:05 PM

Re: Stars $1k bluff, kind of spewy but against a nit, thoughts?

I just don't see him folding a lot of pairs here. Do not like.

Kala1928 10-10-2007 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
overbet shove allin, and he will fold everything except 666 and 5x

[/ QUOTE ]

1600 works, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

gotta put a man in decision for all his chips

registrar 10-10-2007 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
overbet shove allin, and he will fold everything except 666 and 5x

[/ QUOTE ]

1600 works, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

I don't advise it, but I think shoving is the only way you'll get him to fold a better hand.

woohoo88 10-10-2007 05:17 AM

I don't consider myself qualified enough to offer advice here, so I just have a question.

Is this a situation that the zeebo theorem applies to?

TheNewf 10-10-2007 06:15 AM

This is all about levels. Against a very sophisticated player who thinks you're a nit this a sweet move because you can't possibly be bluffing once you gave up on the turn. Unfortunately for you I can count on my fingers the number of players I'd be willing to try this against, and basically none of them are donkament players. A tournament player is unlikely to think any higher than well he didn't bet the turn so he can't have a big pair therefore my 99 is good. Overbet is better but I still don't really like it.

Todd Terry 10-10-2007 09:40 AM

I think an overbet is getting called by a wider range of hands than the bet OP made. Combined with a turn check/check, an overbet looks like a bluff. Why would you overbet for value into someone who has shown no strength?
Yeah, I know you can think about the levels forever, but in general overbets get less respect than bets that look like value bets, and in this specific situation I would not expect an overbet value bet into someone who checked behind on the turn.

LuckyLloyd 10-10-2007 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think an overbet is getting called by a wider range of hands than the bet OP made. Combined with a turn check/check, an overbet looks like a bluff. Why would you overbet for value into someone who has shown no strength?
Yeah, I know you can think about the levels forever, but in general overbets get less respect than bets that look like value bets, and in this specific situation I would not expect an overbet value bet into someone who checked behind on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't personally think this is true at all. And I think that on the most basic level, calling with 99 becomes a lot easier when you realise that you only need to be good approx 30% of the time to profit on the call.

mastr 10-10-2007 10:37 AM

i think in no way is jovial gent a nit and that this doesn't work enough against him

eBo 10-10-2007 10:51 AM

This never works.

Tonylee2402 10-10-2007 11:41 AM

check and build your image rather than risk