Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Does anybody else dislike the Colbert Report??? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520297)

MaxWeiss 10-10-2007 10:09 PM

Does anybody else dislike the Colbert Report???

I just find him obnoxious and boring, and half the show the "news" is just about himself. I really enjoy comedy news stuff, and at least Stewart's show actually has relevant news during most of it.

As much as Family Guy reruns on the Cartoon Network aren't as great the 20th time, they're at least entertaining.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Stephen Colbert and the Colbert Report?? What's the appeal???? Clearly I am missing something and am stupid, but I just don't see it.

schundler 10-10-2007 10:12 PM

Re: Does anybody else dislike the Colbert Report???

[ QUOTE ]
I just find him obnoxious and boring, and half the show the "news" is just about himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the point. He's satirizing the news shows of right-wing pundits, especially O'Reilly.

Paulie Walnuts 10-10-2007 10:13 PM

I'm on your side bud.

Lottery Larry 10-10-2007 10:15 PM

I guess you missed the interview where he tried to get Osama protection as an oppressed gay man?

Case Closed 10-10-2007 10:15 PM

I really enjoy his show and think that his showing being after the daily show really shows how horrible Jon Stewart's show is becoming.

WhoIam 10-10-2007 10:35 PM

I enjoy the show, but it just seems like an SNL skit that got turned into a regular show. It's a one-note joke: having to satirize Bill O'Reilly for the whole program really limits what directions it can take.

g-bebe 10-10-2007 10:36 PM

Colbert really does go overboard on the sarcasm but that's what makes him funny. everything is a satire with him... though at times I do get tired of him too

Zefa 10-10-2007 10:50 PM

I find that half the people I talk to who say they don't like the Colbert Report don't even understand the concept of the satire he applies to his show and don't understand that he is playing as a character.

React1oN 10-10-2007 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that half the people I talk to who say they don't like the Colbert Report don't even understand the concept of the satire he applies to his show and don't understand that he is playing as a character.

[/ QUOTE ]lol

If you do understand it, I don't really see how he can not be funny.

keepitreal 10-10-2007 10:59 PM

OP, what are your thoughts on the daily show?

Hopey 10-10-2007 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]lol

If you do understand it, I don't really see how he can not be funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can be lol funny, but I find the show tends to drag. I'll usually watch a few minutes of it each night, but will inevitably start flipping the channel around before the show is over.

I also find the interviews to be a little cringe-worthy at times. I realize that's what he's shooting for, but sometimes it seems a little too forced.

wisehandpoker 10-10-2007 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just find him obnoxious and boring, and half the show the "news" is just about himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the point. He's satirizing the news shows of right-wing pundits, especially O'Reilly.

[/ QUOTE ]

He kind of is, but he's been going overboard with the book promotions. He may have crossed over.

12ressiMorP 10-10-2007 11:47 PM

Colbert Report is corny and boring.
Daily Show is pretty good.

pokergrader 10-10-2007 11:48 PM

The old Daily Show with Colbert + Carrell + Corddry was better than the current crop, but the current daily show is still quality TV. Some of the once per month things like Trendspotting or Back in Black can really be amazing, but these guys can't come up with the quality material day in day out that colbert or corddry did.

I find the interviews on the daily show to be interesting and relevant, and the interviews on the colbert report to be mostly unwatchable with a few good ones in between.

Colbert Report is much more hit and miss than the daily show in the pre-interview bits, but I find its overall quality to be good and perhaps equal to the daily show.

Either way I get more overall quality entertainment out of the Daily Show-Colbert Report hour than I did with just the old Daily Show, but it is a lot more hit or miss.

pokergrader 10-11-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He kind of is, but he's been going overboard with the book promotions. He may have crossed over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Colbert report is (obviously) much more character driven of a show than daily show and the bits like the broken wrist (and subsequent drug addiction), wrist-strong bracelet and his book are all great little character bits that are the heart of the self-promoting pundit on TV.

But behind everything he is does is positive, his bracelet funds veterans, his book just helps push the idea that pundits are morons, etc. Its a direct inverse to all the other pundits who push worthless books with their own biased and hateful ideas and leech stories from well liked groups for veterans, instead of donating much needed money to them.

It is fine if you don't like the show and I admit it has its faults, but I would accuse it of "crossing over." He has a very clear message and something he wants his viewers to understand and he does a very good job of getting it across.

roy_miami 10-11-2007 01:00 AM

Colbert pretty much sucks for the most part. "The Word" is unwatchable. His interviews are usually unwatchable unless the guest is talking about something I'm interested in like global warming or building robots. He yammers on too much about his book/wrist/ice cream. His second segment skits are tolerable sometimes, "Threat Down" is decent and "Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger" isn't too bad. "Cheating Death" is retarded.

Having said all that, "Better know a district" is one of the best things on TV and I watch Colbert every night just to see this once in a blue moon event. Actually, I haven't seen this segment in months, perhaps he isn't doing it anymore. If thats the case then The Colbert Report won't be making it on the TIVO anymore.

fuzzwonder 10-11-2007 01:14 AM

he's funny, but relies on props too much when just words will do. and colberts best bit "the word" is eerily similar to kevin nealons "mr. subliminal" when he did weekend update on snl. fyi kevins was better.

kurosh 10-11-2007 01:23 AM

i used to really like the daily show, but if you pay attention, he just does the same thing over and over again.
no one can be in that sort of goofy fun mood every day and all his jokes repeat the same facial expressions

Triumph36 10-11-2007 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he's funny, but relies on props too much when just words will do. and colberts best bit "the word" is eerily similar to kevin nealons "mr. subliminal" when he did weekend update on snl. fyi kevins was better.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think he stole this bit from kevin nealon, and not from o'reilly etc. who have summarizing points beside them on the TV during their monologues? who says kevin nealon didn't steal this bit from wendy liebman, whose stand-up act is basically mr. subliminal?

colbert is awesome. sometimes the interviews are awful/uninteresting/obvious where colbert will take it, but i dislike interviews on almost any show. i haven't watched the daily show regularly in a long time - i can't imagine it comes close to colbert. the threat-down, colbert platinum, tip of the hat, wag of the finger, formidable opponent - they're brilliant. i think it's really difficult to come up with that much good material on a daily basis, so i don't blame them for overdoing the book/wrist stuff.

Rootabager 10-11-2007 01:33 AM

"Better know a district" is great, everything else is just ok.

gimmetheloot 10-11-2007 02:05 AM

colbert > stewart.

dms 10-11-2007 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
colbert > stewart.

[/ QUOTE ]

aislephive 10-11-2007 02:50 AM

I don't watch Colbert on a daily basis whatsoever but when I'm flipping through the tube and see it on I'll watch it. I don't find him super hilarious or anything but he does amuse me enough to keep my attention, which is pretty rare these days for me.

Bond18 10-11-2007 03:22 AM

I think both Colbert and Stewart are very funny for guys who have to do it 5 days a week and can't overlap on each other to much.

pokergrader 10-11-2007 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both Colbert and Stewart are very funny for guys who have to do it 4 days a week and can't overlap on each other to much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed. But still a very good point. Just think of how crappy most sitcoms are, and they are 30 minutes once a week and are written more than a day in advance.

Tyler 10-11-2007 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
colbert > stewart.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.tifaux.com/wp-content/upl...bert-bears.jpg

TomCollins 10-11-2007 10:26 AM

Just wait until Hillary gets elected- The Colbert Report will become GOLD then.

aditya 10-11-2007 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy his show and think that his showing being after the daily show really shows how horrible Jon Stewart's show is becoming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly think its the opposite. After watching Stewart's show, it is almost impossible to watch The Colbert Report.

Suigin406 10-11-2007 11:55 AM

meh, i've fallen off CR, but i really only watched 'the word' segment as that was hiliarious imo, but yea, never really liked the rest of the show

bogey1 10-11-2007 12:00 PM

Dislike? No, though I'm don't really care for it. He has a few really good things, the best is "the word" and "threatdown".

It's just a one trick pony though and I get tired of it. I enjoy the daily show very much still. The opening bit is still great as always and the interviews haven't changed. The in between bits have lost something over the years. Lewis Black is good, and I love almost anything with John Hodgman, but a lot of the other ones are lame.

kutuz_off 10-11-2007 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wait until Hillary gets elected- The Colbert Report will become GOLD then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point.

Besides, has anyone tried watching O'Reilly immediately after watching Colbert Report? It's rather entertaining, although I sometimes get confused if Papa Bear himself is serious about his BS.

Milo 10-11-2007 12:07 PM

Like the show, but find it hit or miss. The interviews are typically unwatchable. I like The Word and a few of the other recurring bits. Better Know a District is awesome.

RedRover 10-11-2007 12:12 PM

I usually watch the Daily Show for actual news with a funny twist + a relevant interview then watch the first 20 mins of the Colbert Report for hilarity and entertainment.

Klompy 10-11-2007 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
colbert > stewart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a thread/poll about this has been done before, and most people agreed with this statement.

I love colbert, although I guess I can see how some people might not enjoy him. I won't even watch the daily show though, it's such a pile of crap. Every joke is- show clip of republican out of context saying something dumb, cut back to john with a dumb look on his face "zomg war in iraq" audience laughs.

suzzer99 10-11-2007 12:19 PM

+1 for both shows. If for nothing else than as the only credible media watchdog anyone actually pays attention to. Seriously, try to imagine the current political/satirical landscape w/o these two shows. It's like trying to imagine American culture w/o the Simpsons.

I'm not a big interview fan so I usually skip them on both shows. Which means with tivo I can watch both in about 30 minutes. Also I get most of my national and international news from the shows. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

solids 10-11-2007 12:26 PM

Although this is likely a large generalization, I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't get along with anyone who has never found the Colbert Report funny and awesome.

miajag 10-11-2007 12:34 PM

I like Colbert a lot, and people who don't "get" him are generally dumb, but I can see how the show might get old pretty quickly watching it every day (I watch probably once a week on average).

Karenin 10-11-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just find him obnoxious and boring

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Family Guy...entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see.

Five-Star 10-11-2007 01:07 PM

Both Colbert and his ice cream are awesome

solids 10-11-2007 01:19 PM

The Colbert Report: Great show, or the greatest show?