Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Forget NFL network.. USC @ ARIZONA ST (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=552498)

BigCummins 11-22-2007 09:18 PM

Forget NFL network.. USC @ ARIZONA ST

Tie game now 2:02 minutes into the game. 7-7

Sick run to beat the kicker down the homestretch right after usc drives it down on their opening drive.

edit:yeah i got the title wrong, i'm drunk.

Franchise 60 11-22-2007 09:21 PM

Re: Forget NFL network.. ARIZONA ST @ USC

Very nice start to the game.

Needle77 11-22-2007 10:44 PM

How are they still looking at this play?

BobJoeJim 11-22-2007 11:12 PM

How does this thread only have three posts? I know it's Thanksgiving, and some people may be too busy eating to post, but still... you are all at least *watching* this game... right?

Karak567 11-22-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does this thread only have three posts? I know it's Thanksgiving, and some people may be too busy eating to post, but still... you are all at least *watching* this game... right?

[/ QUOTE ]

ive been watching, and enjoying, the entire game

Wondercall 11-22-2007 11:17 PM

Flipping back and forth between this and the NFL game. Good games so far.

Mediocre_Player 11-22-2007 11:23 PM

this game is way more exciting than the NFL game IMO

Karak567 11-22-2007 11:28 PM

Re: Forget NFL network.. USC @ ARIZONA ST

game over?

haha

Karak567 11-22-2007 11:31 PM

how do you blow that play dead from the other side of the field?

Neuge 11-22-2007 11:31 PM

Definitely a backwards pass. ASU got screwed.

ADLinden 11-22-2007 11:34 PM

that sucked

BobJoeJim 11-22-2007 11:39 PM

Gogogogo Oregon to (get blown out in) the Rose Bowl!!!

BigCummins 11-22-2007 11:42 PM

tough night for carpenter huh?

FlyWf 11-22-2007 11:53 PM

Well, this game stopped being interesting.

Mediocre_Player 11-22-2007 11:54 PM

looks like USC is finally rolling, too bad for them they dropped 2 games already.

wouldn't mind seeing a USC vs OU Fiesta bowl .... get USC/OSU in the reg. season next year anywya

RandomUser 11-23-2007 12:13 AM

I'm amazed that Carpenter is still standing. He's taken some amazing hits, including several helmet-to-helmet.

ASU offensive line has to be one of the worst in the nation. They are dead list in sacks given up in the country.

Mediocre_Player 11-23-2007 12:25 AM

ok so heres the plan
kansas/mizzou wins the BXII
oregon holds on

USC vs hawaii in the fiesta bowl gogogogog

USC favoured by 21?

HajiShirazu 11-23-2007 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok so heres the plan
kansas/mizzou wins the BXII
oregon holds on

USC vs hawaii in the fiesta bowl gogogogog

USC favoured by 45?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jules22 11-23-2007 09:31 AM

or oregon loses to oregon state and usc smashes ohio state in the rose bowl

tuq 11-23-2007 11:26 AM

I wasn't gonna post in this thread cuz that game sucked, but in the clear light of day something I heard is even more retarded to me.

A friend of mine sold two tickets to this game a few days ago for $500 each. His brother fetched $750 each for two of his. They were all good seats, but it seems so stupid that people would pay that much for a game that features no undefeated teams and only a very outside chance that one could go on to win the national title. I guess it was the novelty of the game happening on Thanksgiving or something, because I went to USC-ASU two years ago for free, this is when SC was romping and ASU was good enough to at least put up a fight. But it's people's money to spend as they want, I guess.

Dudd 11-23-2007 12:43 PM

There was almost an entire section of the upper deck that was empty, how could they have gotten that much for a ticket?

tuq 11-23-2007 02:24 PM

I don't know, but they did.

Very surprised to hear that there were empty seats. Are you sure this wasn't something you saw early in the game? I went to Cal-ASU and the east side upper deck didn't fill up until nearly the second quarter, but it eventually did.

DesertCat 11-23-2007 02:40 PM

ASU was a little over-rated, they should have been 14th according to power ratings. But the way USC demolished them I think USC might be the best team in the country now. They had a horrible run of injuries, but now they are healthy they are rolling. Too bad we have this frigging BCS system and no playoffs cause they deserve a shot.

FlyWf 11-23-2007 04:56 PM

Err, didn't they LOSE TO STANFORD? They had "a shot". They lost, twice. Why do they deserve another shot?

Scary_Tiger 11-23-2007 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Err, didn't they LOSE TO STANFORD? They had "a shot". They lost, twice. Why do they deserve another shot?

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't deserve a shot over anyone more deserving obviously, but using your system, assuming the best teams win out, the NFL title game should just be Patriots versus winners of Cowboys/Packers? Colts/Steelers/losers of Cowboys/Packers/Giants have all blown it and don't deserve a shot?

FlyWf 11-23-2007 05:29 PM

What do you mean don't deserve a shot?

I'll make it really clear: THE REGULAR SEASON QUALIFIES AS A SHOT. Everyone deserves a shot, everyone gets a shot. Some teams don't lose to [censored] Stanford.

Losing to Stanford is by far the worst loss of any title contenders.

damaniac 11-23-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean don't deserve a shot?

I'll make it really clear: THE REGULAR SEASON QUALIFIES AS A SHOT. Everyone deserves a shot, everyone gets a shot. Some teams don't lose to [censored] Stanford.

Losing to Stanford is by far the worst loss of any title contenders.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. An elite team just doesn't lose at home to a 40 point underdog. Obviously Stanford isn't better than them, but if you're an elite team even if you have a bad game and injuries you still win that game. If we're going to ignore this then what the hell, let's just quit playing altogether, run sims to pick winners, and move on. That'll be so much more fun.

Semtex 11-23-2007 05:53 PM

i posted this in the pac 10 thread but anyone thinks usc doesn't deserve a shot is pretty dumb. this would be like saying the colts didn't deserve to be in the super bowl last year even though it was pretty obvious that they were the best team in the nfl and most of there regular season mediocrity was due to injuries and other nonsense

damaniac 11-23-2007 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i posted this in the pac 10 thread but anyone thinks usc doesn't deserve a shot is pretty dumb. this would be like saying the colts didn't deserve to be in the super bowl last year even though it was pretty obvious that they were the best team in the nfl and most of there regular season mediocrity was due to injuries and other nonsense

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to not understand at all that the 1) the way we determine champions in the NFL and college is different and 2) the way we determine a champion need not be the same as determining the best team. Once you realize this you'll realize that calling everyone "dumb" is in fact "dumb." Now, you might think that a system which determines a champion should be the same as one which determines the "best" team. That's aother argument entirely, but realize that no team sport in America is designed this way, and we like that way. It's okay that the "best" team doesn't win. It's wrong if it's a crapshoot but it's okay to have upsets matter too.

shemp 11-23-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i posted this in the pac 10 thread but anyone thinks usc doesn't deserve a shot is pretty dumb. this would be like saying the colts didn't deserve to be in the super bowl last year even though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. USC has looked deeply flawed throughout most of the year. The fact that injuries were part of that and they now have an impressive win at ASU isn't enough to turn that around in the eyes of most observers. The Colts have nothing to do with it. Maybe a poker analogy will show me the error in my thinking. I love all things Pac10 so it should be easy to convince me.

Semtex 11-23-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to not understand at all that the 1) the way we determine champions in the NFL and college is different and 2) the way we determine a champion need not be the same as determining the best team. Once you realize this you'll realize that calling everyone "dumb" is in fact "dumb." Now, you might think that a system which determines a champion should be the same as one which determines the "best" team. That's aother argument entirely, but realize that no team sport in America is designed this way, and we like that way. It's okay that the "best" team doesn't win. It's wrong if it's a crapshoot but it's okay to have upsets matter too.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is retarded. we are not arguing whether usc should be in the national championship b/c i obviously understand that they shouldn't. we are arguing whether or not usc would own if there was a playoff and earn their spot in the NCF. i'm pretty sure they would

shemp 11-23-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

we are arguing whether or not usc would own if there was a playoff and earn their spot in the NCF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you tell me!

FlyWf 11-23-2007 06:09 PM

Semtex- But what if Booty threw 4 interceptions in a half and the other team's wide receivers played well? Would we need to hold like a sooper sekrit second playoff? How many mulligans should USC get?

USC had an opportunity to earn their spot in the NC game already.

damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system, so even if that's his concern he's still wrong. Also the Colts went 12-4 last year, so I have no idea what he's talking about them being mediocre.

Semtex 11-23-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Semtex- But what if Booty threw 4 interceptions in a half and the other team's wide receivers played well? Would we need to hold like a sooper sekrit second playoff? How many mulligans should USC get?

[/ QUOTE ]
no obviously.

[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system, so even if that's his concern he's still wrong. Also the Colts went 12-4 last year, so I have no idea what he's talking about them being mediocre.

[/ QUOTE ]
i didn't say they were mediocre i said there were mediocrities. like letting jacksonville and other teams pwn them on the ground, which no super bowl team should do. even though college system has a good track record i'm not sure how you can argue playoff wouldn't be better. if nfl had a college style system colts play for 3rd place

shemp 11-23-2007 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even though college system has a good track record i'm not sure how you can argue playoff wouldn't be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you bring that up because he has shown an inclination towards that position?

Semtex 11-23-2007 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even though college system has a good track record i'm not sure how you can argue playoff wouldn't be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you bring that up because he has shown an inclination towards that position?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system

[/ QUOTE ]

shemp 11-23-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
damaniac- I mostly agree, except that the NCAAF system produces the best team as the champion way more often than any other system

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

USC is on the phone. They want their diploma back.

Semtex 11-23-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i must still be drunk. i have no idea what you're saying

shemp 11-23-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post season tournaments crown champions, not act as guarantor of rewarding the best team.

But, AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: asserting that the NCAA's system is better at celebrating the best team than the post season tournaments of other sports is not an argument the NCAA's system is "better" than a playoff at crowning a champion or that the NCAA works better than a playoff might in every instance at determining the best team. I don't know that from that quoted post that damaniac prefers the current system at all-- I'd guess he doesn't.

The second problem is that your cause celebre for argument has evolved/emerged late in an ongoing argument... but that's another kettle of fish.

Semtex 11-23-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Post season tournaments crown champions, not act as guarantor of rewarding the best team.

But, AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: asserting that the NCAA's system is better at celebrating the best team than the post season tournaments of other sports is not an argument the NCAA's system is "better" than a playoff at crowning a champion or that the NCAA works better than a playoff might in every instance at determining the best team. I don't know that from that quoted post that damaniac prefers the current system at all-- I'd guess he doesn't.

The second problem is that your cause celebre for argument has evolved/emerged late in an ongoing argument... but that's another kettle of fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
not sure i agree. nfl regular season is much better than ncaa at determining best team b/c ncaa has too much conference play. also, i didn't start this playoff argument, even though i have felt there should be one for a long time. i was just responding to people who said there shouldn't be a playoff b/c that would give usc a chance to pwn even though they lost to stanford