Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Games with tremendous storylines? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558647)

SoloAJ 12-01-2007 01:07 PM

Games with tremendous storylines?

I'm thinking about gaming some over my winter break from school. I'm looking for games with awesome storylines. I'm talking in terms of complexity and depth as well as just all around greatness.

The systems I can play on:
NES, SNES, GC, PS1, PS2, PC...

I was thinking about something like Silent Hill games or maybe FF games...I've played some, but for the purposes of this thread, I would really like some recommendations.

My video game knowledge is generally pretty much limited to "popular games" (as you can tell probably by my inclination to play SH or FF for "great stories") so I hope some of you can enlighten me here.

GetThere1Time 12-01-2007 01:25 PM

Re: Games with tremendous storylines?

You can expect great story lines from most of the FF games and Chrono Trigger (just dont play mystic quest EVER) Dragon Quest 8 was a blast. Planescape: Torment also. Just some off the top of my head.

TehVader 12-01-2007 01:51 PM

Good suggestions from GetThere, of the newer games I thought KOTOR's story was pretty good.

AceLuby 12-01-2007 02:01 PM

FF2, FF3, FF7, Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill 2, KOTOR 1 & 2(though I enjoyed 2 more, the storyline wasn't nearly as good), MGS 1,2,3

GetThere1Time 12-01-2007 02:52 PM

I dont know how I forgot this. It probably has a story of all I mentioned. Xenogears.

Dire 12-01-2007 04:17 PM

Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 2

Styhn 12-01-2007 05:07 PM

Don't forget the Half Life games! The story is still going even, can't wait till we get some more info about how the g-man fits in to everything.

SoloAJ 12-01-2007 05:10 PM

Okay, I guess I'm kind of surprised. I have played a few of the games mentioned. I thought they were tgreat stories, but I figured there were some out there that were better.

There have been some recs of games I haven't heard of or considered playing...so this is a start.

eviljeff 12-01-2007 05:48 PM

I enjoyed the stories in Max Payne I and II, especially since the style of story in each is a little bit different - comic book and film noir, respectively.

goofyballer 12-01-2007 07:06 PM

Have you played Morrowind? If you've played neither MW nor Oblivion I think Morrowind would be an awesome game to play through.

I didn't think Half-Life's story was all that great, HL1 was basically Doom (fight your way out of a military complex and into the realm of the monsters that invaded it...HMM SOUND FAMILIAR?) and HL2 was like 1984 except that the main character doesn't ever talk.

Oh, and there's this guy in a suit that shows up occasionally but nobody (even Valve) has a clue what the [censored] he's doing there.

tarheeljks 12-01-2007 07:17 PM

if you like star wars the kotor games have good story lines. they were originally released on xbox, but they are on pc also.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2007 07:27 PM

MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3 MGS3.

fiskebent 12-01-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He asked for games. Not movies where you have to press a button every 5 minutes.

JuntMonkey 12-01-2007 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He asked for games. Not movies where you have to press a button every 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

dibbs 12-01-2007 08:54 PM

There are very few video games with great or interesting stories IMO.

You might want to try Secret of Evermore for SNES, kind of quirky storyline and interesting world that I remember really liking.

I loved the MGS series, Twin Snakes for GC and MGS2 and 3 for PS2 would make for a good winter break trilogy IMO.

I'd recommend Shenmue 1 & 2 as well if you could easily get your hands on a Dreamcast and Xbox.

zyrrth 12-01-2007 09:32 PM

Planescape: torment prolly has the deepest story in any videogame.

Zutroy 12-01-2007 09:39 PM

MGS 3 does have a great storyline and is overall one of the best games I've played. If you don't mind going old school, and if you can find a copy, Suikoden 2 had one of the best storylines I've seen in a game. It was very compelling and didn't really lose steam as they tend to. Suikoden 3 also had a great and uniquely told story in it. Those are the only two I've played so far but I think the Suikoden series is pretty grossly underrated. Anyway, both are worth looking into if you like the FF series.

Also, I didn't see this mentioned but Grim Fandango is hands down a must-play if you are looking for story. The graphics are quite outdated but I think it is still playable. Adventure might not be your thing, but it is seriously worth considering (again it is rather old so tracking down a copy might be difficult).

ADK 12-01-2007 10:02 PM

first thing i thought of was all the metal gear solids. amazing amazing game

eviljeff 12-01-2007 10:19 PM

Godfather Blackhand is interesting. obviously it follows the plot of The Godfather, but fills in the behind the scenes with your character.

edit: example, you are sitting in the restaurant when Michael Corleone assassinates Solazzo and the cop and help him escape.

scotchnrocks 12-01-2007 10:39 PM

I enjoyed the story in God of War

AlexM 12-01-2007 11:12 PM

Baby Pac-Man

Don't settle for Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man.

blackize 12-01-2007 11:35 PM

Is everyone saying MGS2 leveling?

BrookTrout 12-01-2007 11:53 PM

Fallout.

Can run on a slower PC and the more you put into them (there's two in the series) the more you'll get out of them.

VickreyAuction 12-02-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is everyone saying MGS2 leveling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, good call. MGS2 was a lot of fun, but the ending was god-awful. The plot in general was too swerve-heavy.

zyrrth 12-02-2007 12:05 AM

i thought about fallout but the story isn't that great, it's basically just get the geck and kill the master.

Jack Bando 12-02-2007 12:31 AM

Suikoden 5. If you can play 1-5 do so, but you don't need to in order to get it due to the timeline (4------5-1-2-3. The big line is about 300 years, and the rest are gaps of about 7,7, and 15)

4 High 12-02-2007 12:50 AM

KOTOR
Suikoden

Corpsebean 12-02-2007 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fallout.

Can run on a slower PC and the more you put into them (there's two in the series) the more you'll get out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

vulturesrow 12-02-2007 01:25 AM

Wasteland. C64 FTW.

Jailblazers 12-02-2007 01:49 AM

Chrono Trigger.
Super Mario RPG.
FF7-10.

lennytheduck 12-02-2007 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
KOTOR
Suikoden

[/ QUOTE ]

You win. KOTOR is the absolute nuts. This cannot be overstated.

Final Fantasy III has been mentioned in this context many times before but still bears repeating. It's epic.

Grue 12-02-2007 02:41 AM

Anyone have a suggestion for an FPS with a good single player campaign/storyline?

GetThere1Time 12-02-2007 02:58 AM

Deus Ex

Grue 12-02-2007 03:09 AM

Any ones made in the last couple years? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Zutroy 12-02-2007 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a suggestion for an FPS with a good single player campaign/storyline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you've already played Half-Life 2 and other high profile games of that ilk (F.E.A.R, Far Cry, Prey, etc) one game that I think was kinda underrated (I never really hear about it, at least) is Tribes: Vengeance. The story is told for a few different perspectives and, while I don't recall the specifics, I remember it being pretty good and more than the standard fare. The game play gets a bit repetitive, IIRC, but overall I really enjoyed it. Also, I believe there was a good multi player component too but all I ever played was the single player.

dknightx 12-02-2007 03:10 AM

of all the games ive played, its been xenogears, hands down. it was also definitely a revolutionary game for its time.

Grue 12-02-2007 03:11 AM

Its actually for my 65 year old dad (yeah..), he requested it. I'm not a huge FPS fan but got through doom 3 and most of HL2 and sorta enjoyed it but I figured there were ones out there with more involved stories than that that he could enjoy.

Zutroy 12-02-2007 03:21 AM

Max Payne, maybe? It's fairly short and has a pretty good noir-type story. Plus I don't think it's all that hard.