Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Sharkscope, Pokerdb, etc (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=558565)

Toro 12-01-2007 08:49 AM

Sharkscope, Pokerdb, etc

In the October 2007 issue of Cardplayer, in an article on page 26 (couldn't link it, sorry) it states that Pokertars has sent what essentially is a "cease and desist letter to all of the major ranking sites, which theorectically could kill off . . . a thriving industry for poker data.

I don't think it's catastrophic, but I do find Sharkscope for sng's and Pokerdb for mtt's handy to check out how good the competition may be when getting deeper into tourneys.

My question is: I'm still using these sites, so is it that they are just ignoring Pokerstars cease and desist?

gbporkpie 12-01-2007 09:53 AM

Re: Sharkscope, Pokerdb, etc

These sites and the whole culture surrounding them are terrible for online poker imo and it'd be cool to see them disappear. It won't happen though.

I wonder what it'd do to big live games if there was a big ranking list in Bellagio that'd say "Sammy Farha -10m" etc.

MegaFossil 12-01-2007 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These sites and the whole culture surrounding them are terrible for online poker imo and it'd be cool to see them disappear. It won't happen though.

I wonder what it'd do to big live games if there was a big ranking list in Bellagio that'd say "Sammy Farha -10m" etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're fun to look at, but you're absolutely right. I know at least one losing player who has quit PokerStars b/c he heard sharkscope mentioned in chat, looked up his own stats compared to others, and realized how terrible he was.

21SuicideKing21 12-01-2007 11:10 AM

these sites are good and bad, I just don't like having people seeing my wins and loses, and also having them announce it in the chat. I just find it bad imo.

PokahPokah 12-01-2007 11:42 AM

id prefer the fish to stick around tbh

Kurn, son of Mogh 12-01-2007 11:50 AM

Sharkscope is already on 'Stars list of banned programs, so I'd advise against having it running while you're on the site.

FWIW - 'Stars' Ts&Cs already forbid datamining (i.e., you can only run Pokertracker at the tables you are playing, while 'Tilt allows you to datamine to your heart's content.

I guess if datamining and/or stats are crucial to you, it's pretty clear where your should play. It's not like all the sites are doing this.

Poopy_Pants 12-01-2007 11:53 AM

they are the worst thing for online poker

HavanaBanana 12-01-2007 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're fun to look at, but you're absolutely right. I know at least one losing player who has quit PokerStars b/c he heard sharkscope mentioned in chat, looked up his own stats compared to others, and realized how Broke he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fyp

Ps: I have a few friends with quite bad sharkscope graphs, they just go there when they are doing well.

And if someone quits playing because Sharkscope makes them realize they have a gambling problem , then thats good.

ToT

futuredoc85 12-01-2007 12:37 PM

only if you give a [censored] about that individual and his/her family. certainly not good for the games

muxplust 12-01-2007 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but Nat, the greatest poster online, invented them
I stand by the poker db

the rest are crap

Nick Rivers 12-01-2007 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sharkscope is already on 'Stars list of banned programs, so I'd advise against having it running while you're on the site.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you telling me that Stars knows the websites you're browsing while you're playing poker? That seems a little far-fetched and, if true, a little invasive.

arkwon 12-01-2007 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. They are simply making the game a tougher one to beat by making this data accessible and tangible.

XXXNoahXXX 12-02-2007 12:03 AM

my brother is a high winning cash player and uses sngs to dick around and push all-in every hand. its funny when he is playing 3/6, 5/10, or 10/20NL and people at his table are like "hahaha you are -2k on sharkscope!!!!" probably makes him tons of money of idiots thinking he sucks based off this.

sharkscopeaholic 12-02-2007 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're fun to look at, but you're absolutely right. I know at least one losing player who has quit PokerStars b/c he heard sharkscope mentioned in chat, looked up his own stats compared to others, and realized how Broke he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fyp

Ps: I have a few friends with quite bad sharkscope graphs, they just go there when they are doing well.

And if someone quits playing because Sharkscope makes them realize they have a gambling problem , then thats good.

ToT

[/ QUOTE ]

I use to be the person who got a very lucky suckout and then was told, "fish youre down $150 and are supertilting, hahahha". I was like wtf are you talking about,then when i was told about sharkscope. i thought it was emabarasing to have a fish bowl next to my name and its what drove me to get better. Now im on the leaderboard and fu to the haters.

[x] thinly veiled brag post

metsandfinsfan 12-02-2007 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you telling me that Stars knows the websites you're browsing while you're playing poker? That seems a little far-fetched and, if true, a little invasive.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know party use to send people warnings for going to forbidden websites (pokeredge iirc) so im assuming its in the toc when we downloaded stars that they can track what sites we go to

oldmangrimis 12-02-2007 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my brother is a high winning cash player and uses sngs to dick around and push all-in every hand. its funny when he is playing 3/6, 5/10, or 10/20NL and people at his table are like "hahaha you are -2k on sharkscope!!!!" probably makes him tons of money of idiots thinking he sucks based off this.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is his name