Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Simple KK hand vs donk lead on draw heavy board (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547796)

Rupert 11-16-2007 04:37 PM

Simple KK hand vs donk lead on draw heavy board

Dumb stuff like this happens quite often, this is from a $163 tournament. My initial thought was the raise but I wasn't sure what hands I was really getting value from other than QJ and maybe KQ... I guess I also protect my hand? Help!

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 20/40 Blinds, 9 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (MP2): 3,320
CO: 3,250
BTN: 2,620
SB: 8,215
BB: 5,070
UTG: 4,705
UTG+1: 2,548
UTG+2: 4,480
MP1: 2,930

Pre-Flop: (60) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP2)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls 40, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to 150</font>, UTG+1 calls 110

Flop: (360) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets 360</font>, <font color="red">Hero ?

jonnyd 11-16-2007 06:19 PM

Re: Simple KK hand vs donk lead on draw heavy board

whew i duno. i can see a case for just straight up folding but the wuss in me would just call this.

Solent 11-16-2007 07:12 PM

So many times this is a small pocket pair trying to buy the flop. A flopped straight is checking. I think you're ahead here. I raise and watch him fold. If he calls and bets out on the turn, then I fold, but I don't see that happening.

Sherman 11-16-2007 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So many times this is a small pocket pair trying to buy the flop. A flopped straight is checking. I think you're ahead here. I raise and watch him fold. If he calls and bets out on the turn, then I fold, but I don't see that happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would a small pocket pair lead into the PF raiser on this flop? That would be horrendous. And even if he has a small PP, raising is not a good play against it.

DeuceSeven 11-16-2007 08:14 PM

On a flop like this you're either slightly ahead or slightly behind, with no real way of knowing. Let's run down the hands that would limp/call a raise then lead out on the flop: 99, TT, QT, Q9, T9 and KJ protecting against a draw heavy board. AQ, KQ, QJ, JJ are also possibilities. I play this slow and call the flop and see what villain does on the turn.

EDIT: Dammit I need to read better. You're not slightly ahead or slightly behind. You're slightly ahead or way behind. I still call and let position work for you. If this was a small buy in I play this like KK is the best hand more often.

PrimetimeUNH 11-16-2007 08:54 PM

I'd probably minraise here to see where I'm really at. Seems like a scared AQ/KQ since he bet the pot.