Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Fun basement and backyard entertainment (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=554416)

wacki 11-25-2007 08:43 PM

Fun basement and backyard entertainment

Creating a list of games/sources of entertainment that would be fun to have either in the basement or in the backyard for when a dozen or two beer drinkin guests come over. Looking for game setups that could be bought or built for 5K or less and force people to interact with others. But mainly I've been going to a lot of campfires lately and have had a lot of fun and met a lot of people playing cornhole and similar random and cheap backyard games which has caused me to wonder what else is out there.

<ul type="square">[*]Caribbean Ring Toss (wallhooky)[*]Cornhole[*]A football themed game with two 1" diameter foam footballs connected with a string that you throw at a football post trying to wrap it like a boa. I have no idea what it's called but it was a lot of fun to play.[/list]Then your more typical:
<ul type="square">[*]Pool table[*]Bumper Pool[*]Foosball[*]Dartboard[*]shuffleboard[*]Air hockey[*]Poker Table[*]Horseshoes[*]ring toss[*]Campfire pit (ok not a game but people love to sit by it it's critical for late night get togethers)[*]Wii - Great physical activity for an indoor game and even people that hate video games open up to it[*]Basketball hoop[/list]

Ray Zee 11-25-2007 10:27 PM

Re: Fun basement and backyard entertainment

badminton
wiffel ball
archery

pig4bill 11-25-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square">[*]Cornhole[/list]
[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm better off not knowing.

pig4bill 11-25-2007 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
archery

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone has a Montana-sized back yard. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A friend of mine in Colorado had a rifle range in his back yard.

lippy 11-25-2007 11:37 PM

pingpong obv.

kerowo 11-26-2007 12:14 AM

Lawn Darts
end of thread

Elevens 11-26-2007 12:38 AM

Ladder ball/golf

etizzle 11-26-2007 12:42 AM

bocce!

ahnuld 11-26-2007 12:52 AM

backyard putting green

Ship Ship McGipp 11-26-2007 01:04 AM

washers

11-26-2007 02:35 AM

Try Kubb .

carnivalhobo 11-26-2007 04:58 PM

another vote for cornhole, might be the best game evar

chisness 11-26-2007 06:17 PM

golf simulator (over budget) and space can be a problem

Rick Diesel 11-27-2007 11:01 AM

beer pong
darts

darnold305 11-27-2007 11:58 AM

Outdoor ice rink, if you get 3 days in a row of under 32 degree weather, you have a fully functional ice skating rink in your backyard. Cost - 300ish

Waterfall 11-27-2007 12:20 PM

A horse-shoe pit is a great addition to a backyard if you host parties. Any game you can play with a beer in your hand is a good idea. I built a pit in my backyard and it was cheap and easy.

Bocce is another good backyard game. Its easy to play and you can play right on the lawn. If you get a Bocce set spend the extra money and get a nice one.

I would definitely go for a fire-pit if you have the space for one. You can buy decent pre-made ones at Home Depot or easily build one yourself.

My ideal basement setup would include:
-a bar
-poker table (preferably one of those octagon ones that have a cover so it can be used as an actual table as well)
-dartboard
-an arcade game (golden-tee would probably be popular with guests)
-pool table (bumper pool sucks)

codewarrior 11-27-2007 01:29 PM

For the basement, I recommend shuffleboard. Not the game you play on the deck of a cruise ship, but this here:

Linky

When we got tired of playing pool at the Green Room in Durham, NC, we played this. It was built in between two support columns where they couldn't fit another table in. The pucks ride on a layer of fine sand or glass bead. Good times.

PorkPieHat 11-27-2007 02:49 PM

Depending on the size of your yard you can get a cheap frisbee golf basket on a portable base and a few putters for a ton of fun. If you have the right shaped yard and a couple of natural obstacles (like, um, houses or trees) you are good to go.
Avoid the crappy foldable ones (like this: http://www.discgolfassoc.com/phmachlite.html)
and go with an M-14 ( http://www.discgolfassoc.com/phm14.html )

For discs you can just grab a bunch of Aviar putters ( http://www.dtworld.com/Aviar_Putter_p/g42-dxp.htm ). Get some of the lightweight ones for kids and a few heavier for adults.

n.s. 11-27-2007 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bocce!

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I think it may be the perfect outdoor drinking game.

ScottySo 11-27-2007 06:31 PM

You can't say enough for cornhole IMO. great game, and very easy to make the whole thing yourself. Kubb is also great fun, works with a bigger group than cornhole and both can be played casually by anyone which I think is a big factor for backyard activities.

Ray Zee 11-28-2007 03:38 AM

yea bill, in a city archery doesnt do it. but you really only need about 100 feet with a good back stop to have fun with it.

your rifle range is a good idea as i have one kinda. a big target, and miles of woods behind it.

James Boston 11-28-2007 03:55 AM

Can someone explain cornhole, because I refuse to Google it for obvious reasons.

Elevens 11-28-2007 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain cornhole, because I refuse to Google it for obvious reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cornhole: otherwise known as Corn Toss, Bags, Bean Bag Toss, Tumor Toss, or Baggo

Slow Play Ray 11-28-2007 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A horse-shoe pit is a great addition to a backyard if you host parties. Any game you can play with a beer in your hand is a good idea. I built a pit in my backyard and it was cheap and easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

try cornhole - you will be a convert.

Josem 11-29-2007 02:18 AM

Cricket

Played in backyards throughout the Commonwealth (English one - Australia, England, New Zealand, India, West Indies, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc) this would be perfect.

Assuming you're in the US, this has the advantage of:
a) no one knowing the game (and hence, no one being awesome at it)
b) an interesting experience
c) a game that you can play while holding a beer
d) not too fast
e) not contact/physical
f) in backyards across Australia/India/etc. you can typically get the equipment for around $10-$30 or so - a tennis ball, something rectangular for wickets, and a bat.

youtalkfunny 11-29-2007 02:30 AM

Croquet, anyone?

gimmetheloot 11-29-2007 07:00 AM

Any1 want to MSPaint a cornhole setup? ie the 'court' and where you shoot from etc.

Elevens 11-29-2007 08:07 AM

http://www.playcornhole.org/images/cornhole%20court.jpg

bernie 11-30-2007 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cornhole: otherwise known as Corn Toss, Bags, Bean Bag Toss, Tumor Toss, or Baggo

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's what those are. I see those all over when tailgaiting for CFB games.

b

bernie 11-30-2007 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
archery

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone has a Montana-sized back yard. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A friend of mine in Colorado had a rifle range in his back yard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawn darts.

b

astroglide 11-30-2007 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.playcornhole.org/images/cornhole%20court.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

four pitchers and no catcher in cornhole?

i've actually played the game, and i was underwhelmed. fun at first, then got really old and i wanted it to end.

i found what some call "dingleberry" much more enjoyable. it's a game where you throw bolos at a rack. the one i've played used tennis balls and pvc.

daxtrader 11-30-2007 12:07 PM

Cornhole gets boring after two minutes. Overrated imo.

bernie 11-30-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cornhole gets boring after two minutes. Overrated imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how hot the chick is you're trying to pick up while playing it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

b

WLVRYN 11-30-2007 11:54 PM

I built a MAME arcade game that was capable of playing 1000's of arcade games. I started an OOT thread about it a few months ago here. Its been a hit at parties. Total cost was approx $1,600, though you could build it for less. When I started I had no woodworking skills and probably moderate computer and wiring skills, so even if you dont have any skills yourself, they are not that hard to develop.

I also vote for cornhole, washers or redneck golf for outside activities.

bugstud 12-01-2007 07:14 AM

cornhole/bags whatever is pretty awesome presuming your set is built so it's difficult to stick bags. Also, it's a prop betting game of the ages.